Ryan Dancey speaks - the Most Successful Year for Fantasy RPGaming ever. However...

RyanD

Adventurer
JohnNephew said:
It strikes me as an enormous strategic opportunity missed.

In retrospect, I do not think that WotC's plans for the D&D MMORPG would have worked. They were quite avant-garde. There were too many people with too many "theories" about how to compete with EverQuest with the ability to direct the project - and proving a "theory" appeared to be way more important at the time than making the best possible D&D MMORPG. And given Hasbro's financial situation at the time, they needed every arrow they had in the quiver to get the Infogrames deal done - including D&D. There was no way any amount of empassioned argument was going to calve the D&D rights out of that deal.

At this point I consider it water under the bridge - a battle not fought, and thus lost. Now we have to figure out what to do with the elephant in the living room, and adjust strategies accordingly.

Ryan

Steel_Wind

Legend
Jim Hague said:
At a fairly important and quiet game conference this year, Wil Wright, creator of the Sims, revealed his next game, Spore. Spore's built on two concepts that don't fit the current model - dynamic content spawned from the game itself (no pre-rendered art) and player-created content. It breaks the model, because it's less a game (no truly defined goals beyond making sure your Spore continues to survive and develop, even becoming several stages of a civilization) and more a toy.

Interesting that you would quote Will Wright on this topic.

At SIGGRAPH 2002, a member of DLA asked Will when he was on a panel what effect modding and user created content would have on PC games in the future. NWN was offered as an example of where the market was going.

Will Wright laughed at Stephan and pooh-poohed the entire idea of user creator content or any serious mod community have any real commercial effect on PC games.

He also doubted more than a handful of mods worth playing would ever be created for NWN.

So... I'd be a little careful who you quote as a visionary example. Will Wright's made lots of mistakes too.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
RyanD said:
In retrospect, I do not think that WotC's plans for the D&D MMORPG would have worked. They were quite avant-garde. There were too many people with too many "theories" about how to compete with EverQuest with the ability to direct the project - and proving a "theory" appeared to be way more important at the time than making the best possible D&D MMORPG.

I've always wanted to say this to the folks at WotC. Sadly, I'm a few weeks late with this one, but it will have to do all the same:

The problem with PnP designers in general - and WotC designers specifically, is that they believe they know a LOT about RPG design and, therefore, are certain that they know a LOT about "proper" CRPG design. (In this, they have a lot in common with most ENWorlders.)

This is an opinion of their talents that is shared by the sum total of about ZERO professional designers in the computer games field. The two mediums are very different.

It's regrettable. I don't expect it will ever get better until the D&D brand is bought by a CRPG developer and the whole concept of licensing is stood on its head.

I expect the "licensed" CRPGs will improve a lot at that point. The resulting games will focus on creating a better game experience and less about "brand promotion" or - gasp - alienating parents' groups who buy Monopoly or My Little Pony.

Whether or not the TRPGs, as you put it, will survive that change in control remains to be seen - but I don't think it's a question of if; rather, it's a question of when.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Khuxan said:
3) Pretty Worlds: Interestingly enough, I felt nostalgic for Morrowind when I was playing WoW. "That's a pretty flower," I thought, "A DM would never bother describing such a small detail as that... but in Morrowind I'd be able to pix it". It's very easy to be immersed in a world that's visual and aural.

The Fantastic Locations maps and the maps offered by 0one games may be one step in this direction. Dundjinni offers similar results if you have the skill and energy to create exactly what you want. In the future, I think that is one thing that published modules will be able to offer that is very attractive to at least a subset of gamers: pretty scale maps. Without the competing priorities of the Fantastic Locations maps (must be DDM legal/useful which means all corridors able to fit large minis, and there won't be a lot of true choke points (a bridge here and a passage there but generally there's a way around them if you're fast/patient enough and they don't have arrow slits lining the walls around them) they could be even better for rpgs.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Steel_Wind said:
The two mediums are very different.

That's my point but not for the same reason, perhaps. As I said above, the two do not directly compare. The one is not wresting potential players away from the other anymore than it would be fair to say that people going out to the movies is directly preventing them from reading books. The gratification derived from one is not the same as that from the other. If you removed all of the video games from Wal-Mart, you would not drive people to pickup D&D PnP games as a replacement. They would simply find some other way to replace the type of gratification they derive from that medium.

Jim Hague

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Interesting that you would quote Will Wright on this topic.

At SIGGRAPH 2002, a member of DLA asked Will when he was on a panel what effect modding and user created content would have on PC games in the future. NWN was offered as an example of where the market was going.

Will Wright laughed at Stephan and pooh-poohed the entire idea of user creator content or any serious mod community have any real commercial effect on PC games.

He also doubted more than a handful of mods worth playing would ever be created for NWN.

So... I'd be a little careful who you quote as a visionary example. Will Wright's made lots of mistakes too.

Ayuh, but having seen Spore, I think he changed his tune after thinking about it. Me, I agree - the future lies with dynamic and player-initiated and created content. And right now, MMOs have a weak model for those.

The Shaman

First Post
Khuxan said:
3) Pretty Worlds: Interestingly enough, I felt nostalgic for Morrowind when I was playing WoW. "That's a pretty flower," I thought, "A DM would never bother describing such a small detail as that... but in Morrowind I'd be able to pix it". It's very easy to be immersed in a world that's visual and aural.

Potential Fix: I understand, in 2000/2001, a company created a bunch of d20 System adventures that had actual 3D effects. That could be a nice compromise - showing your players on your laptop what their characters are seeing. Not something an individual DM could cook up, but as a product...
Please forgive me, but I think this is a terrible idea.

Here's why (from a post on 12/7/2005)...
The Shaman said:
I think some of this transformation is taking place already. Factory-painted collectible minis on flashy, profesionally rendered map tiles certainly make a vivid impression - however, I wonder if there's a concomitant loss of imagination and individuality as a consequence: no need to actually visualize the scene and the monsters and characters, here they are, in 3D and stunning color, all identical to the scene at hundreds of other gaming tables...

Player 1: "Dude, Tim had the coolest room in his dungeon!"
Player 2: "What was it?"
Player 1: "There were these bridges over a river of lava, like five or six of 'em, and we had to fight these orcs to get across..."

Player 1: "Dude, Tim had the coolest room in his dungeon!"
Player 2: "What was it?"
Player 1: "There were these bridges over a river of lava..."
Player 2: "Oh right, the lava tiles from Iron Fane of the Scarlet Wyrm. I used those in my game last weekend...and we fought across them in Will's game last month...and then Joanna decided to use her fire elemental mini with those in a game I played over spring break..."

Some call this progress. I have reservations.
Does it really take a computer graphic of a "pretty flower" to excite the imagination? Is it no longer enough for the GM to say to the players, "The meadow is filled with sprays of colorful wildflowers..."?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Is it no longer enough for the GM to say to the players, "The meadow is filled with sprays of colorful wildflowers..."?

For many groups, it never was. You could say, "There are curtains and a chandelier", but the PCs wouldn't take advantage of them. Or perhaps they would, but there wasn't any pressing reason for them to do it apart from "it sounding cool."

Was Gary Gygax wasting his time when he included illustrations in Tome of Horrors?

Cheers!

The Shaman

First Post
MerricB said:
For many groups, it never was. You could say, "There are curtains and a chandelier", but the PCs wouldn't take advantage of them. Or perhaps they would, but there wasn't any pressing reason for them to do it apart from "it sounding cool."
Ah, the "But you couldn't do all teh cool stuff in 1e since there were no mechanics for it!" party line! And who better to deliver it!

Newsflash: Characters (and monsters) swung from curtains and chandeliers long before someone create the Swing skill and the Improved Swing feat.

But I think that misses (or sidesteps) the point, MerricB.
MerricB said:
Was Gary Gygax wasting his time when he included illustrations in Tome of Horrors?
This will probably sound heretical coming from a grumpy grognard such as myself, but I've never so much as looked inside Tomb of Horrors, so I have no data on which to frame a reply to this.

Instead, I'll try this: Some modules include illustrations of traps and puzzles to make sure the players understand exactly what it is they're facing - when players have to make potentially life-or-death decisions on behalf of their characters, this certainly makes sense.

A few years ago I picked up a couple of 3.0 D&D adventures that included illustrations of various scenes and personages - for example, the adventurers encounter a group of travelling gypsies (or the equivalent in that setting) with their wooden wagon, and included a picture of the wagon to show the players. The appearence of the wagon had no particular bearing on the encounter - it was merely a scene-setter specific to that adventure. This comes closer to my original point - what's wrong with the GM simply describing the wagon?

But I think that misses (or sidesteps) at least part of the point as well, MerricB.

I see two issues with what Khuxan proposes. First, it leads to the homogenization of settings. Look at my example of the dungeon tiles again, MerricB - if everyone is sipping from the same finite pool of visual resources, then the well gets drawn down pretty quickly.

What what about published adventures, you may ask? I think the same problem exists here as well, which is one reason that I don't use them, but a GM can tweak the adventure (or fold, spindle, and mutilate it, for that matter) and make it something different, but an illustration is an illustration is an illustration, which leads to another issue...

Second, the presumed benefit of dungeon tiles, those 3D wall pieces, or CAD illos is diminished as soon as the GM decides to add something else instead. I've run into this with CC2Pro already, and I demurred on Dundjinni for the same reason - I quickly bump up against the limits of the data set.

I could use those 3D cave walls for example, but where is the cavern piece that is filled with tree roots from ceiling to floor? It doesn't exist? Well, now the players have to go back to using their imaginations again...

...or at least I hope they do. My concern is that GMs will be less likely to come up with their own descriptions and instead rely solely on those limited data sets.

For me, RPGs are best experienced in the space between the ears. I don't care if my players see the same wildflowers in that meadow as I do, as long as they picture a meadow with splashes of color. My goal as a GM is to stimulate that imagination, not substitute someone else's idea of what my game-world looks like (or worse, confine my game-world only to that someone else's vision of an imaginary world).

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I don't think that MMORPGs and TRPGs are direct competitors. Everyone in my game group, except me plays WoW, but it has not affected our group.

One player, the one who lives the furthest away, now plays WoW exclusively and no longer games with us. Although recently he has been asking about the game and wondering if he can get back in it.

For everyone else, WoW has not effected are gaming sessions at all. Additionally, one player has even quit WoW completely, and uses the time he used to spend playing WoW by playing in two other campaigns with players outside of our own group.

And to make up for the one player we lost, we gained a new player through WoW. He hadn't played TRPGs in years, but got to know one of my gaming group members who plays WoW regularly. We invited him to play with us and now he does.

Unlike MMORPGs, TRPGs are not just about killing stuff and levelling up. They are more about face-to-face social interaction with your friends, and playing through a deep storyline that is specifically customized for you by a living DM that sits in front of you. No MMORPG will ever be able to match that. Not even games like Neverwinter Nights. With a TRPG, I can run a satisfying game session from nothing more than a one sentence plot description. That can never be done with a CRPG.

Remove ads