• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saddest Song Ever

Ringan

Explorer
Felix said:
Adagio for Strings, by Samuel Barber

It is incredibly mournful and introspective; it was used masterfully in Oliver Stone's "Platoon".

That's what I would recommend. It was also played when FDR died. The only caveat is it is semi-frequently used in the media.

Tinner

First Post
Hate Me Today by Blue October
Hurt by Johnny Cash (Much sadder than the NIN version)
Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Creep by Radiohead
Adams Song by Blink 182

Almost anything from the album "Everything Turns Grey" by Agent Orange, especially the title track.

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Folk songs. Now those are sad some of them.

"Who'll go Waltzing Matilda Eith Me?" is one of the saddest songs ever. Austrailian folk song. (Not to be confused with the actual "Waltzing Matilda" song which is referenced in the former song)

"Willie McBride" is a song covered by a few different bands, most notably the Clancy Brothers/Tommy Makem.

A two play of these songs will make you want to drink yourself into darkness.

Clavis said:
"Failure" by Swans

Wow, that takes me back. Swans has some very ambient and very powerful stuff that would be great for background music to gaming. "Failure" is currently available on the album "Various Failures". Other songs off of that album that would work well are "God Damn the Sun" and "Picture of Maryanne". I would also recommend some songs off of "Soundtracks for the Blind", such as "Helpless Child", "How They Suffer", "The Sound" and "Minus Something". FWIW, Swans stuff is really best when listened too in the context of an entire album, and you could probably set up the album to run in the background, and work on timing the sad things to happen when the sad songs come on. If you can find a copy of it, the album "Anhedoniac" by Jarboe (one half of Swans, the other half being Michael Gira) is one of the most emotionally powerful albums I know.

From classical music, I would recommed James Barnes Third Symphony, "The Tragic" Op. 89. This piece was inspired by the death of Barnes's infant daughter Natalie. The first movement is probably the best for your needs.

For stand alone songs, I have a personal list of the saddest songs ever. They may not work for your purposes, since the sadness in them partially comes from things other than just the sound (i.e. the lyrics, the performer, the experience), but they are:
3. Rocketman by William Shatner
2. Mandy by Barry Manilow
1. The Dangling Conversation by Simon and Garfunkel

Tewligan

First Post
Lanefan said:
It's called The Last Kiss, and is a cover; the original was done in the early-mid '60's by I forget who.
Wayne Cochran and the C.C. Riders.

If you can't remember the saddest song in the world, you can at least play a tribute. Jables and Rage Kage would be pleased.

Remove ads