• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saddest Song Ever

Dioltach

Legend
Switchblade said:
Seems there are hours of music to slit your wrist to out there. What a cheering thought.

Like the man says in High Fidelity: "People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss."

cmrscorpio

Explorer
If you've got a good sound system, the first half of Fiddler on the Green by Demons & Wizards is pretty damn haunting with its crushing bass, subued acoustic lead, and sorrowful lyrics.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Kheti sa-Menik said:
Folk songs. Now those are sad some of them.

"Who'll go Waltzing Matilda Eith Me?" is one of the saddest songs ever. Austrailian folk song. (Not to be confused with the actual "Waltzing Matilda" song which is referenced in the former song)

"Willie McBride" is a song covered by a few different bands, most notably the Clancy Brothers/Tommy Makem.

A two play of these songs will make you want to drink yourself into darkness.

I think the first song you're referring to is "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" and the bit you quote is a poignant line in it. Both that and "Willie McBride", also known as "No Man's Land", were written by Eric Bogle, who has a decided knack for writing haunting and sad songs/poems.

Another one of his is "My Youngest Son Came Home Today". Billy Bragg does an absolutely fantastic version of it on one of his albums. (hint: son comes home in pine box from one of many Irish conflicts)
The Pogues's version of "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" is on their Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash album... which I heartily recommend.

On a non-folky bent, just about anything on Pink Floyd's the Final Cut is sad as hell.

Obrysii

First Post
Many of the background songs to the anime Naruto are very sad, specifically the songs "Setting Sun" "Nightfall" and perhaps appropriately, "Grief and Sorrow"

For a more western taste, and for a more modern taste, the song "Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie is very sad. "The Ocean Breathes Salty" by Modest Mouse is as well.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
I find that modern music rarely invokes good vibe for RPGs without someone else bringing their 'known' feelings into the fold. Usually little known pieces such as these are my ticket, you might also want to check out Holst's "The Planets", though most of the 'despair' sections are short. If you had the time, you might be able to cobble them together and create a truly disturbing piece...
Oh, wow. I've been aware of "The Planets" for years, but never really looked into it. I just did now. I had no idea that "Mars, Bringer of War" was that piece. Wow. Very cool. Yeah, I definitely have to agree with your recommendation. This stuff would be great gaming music.

Dragon Snack

First Post
Well, I'm late and it probably isn't what you were looking for anyway, but having just passed the Christmas season I figure I should mention The Cat Carol by Meryn Cadell (it's a cover of a folk song).

It's a nice little kick in the gut - and yes, a Christmas song to boot...

We get calls about it every year at the radio station. Check out the comments about it on Amazon.

GreatLemur said:
Oh, wow. I've been aware of "The Planets" for years, but never really looked into it. I just did now. I had no idea that "Mars, Bringer of War" was that piece. Wow. Very cool. Yeah, I definitely have to agree with your recommendation. This stuff would be great gaming music.
Yeah, I LOVE his stuff when it comes to gaming. Classical, or modern composed music, such as Enya (when she isn't singing in English) or even some modern music set to instrumental production (such as Apocalyptica) can have a much greater effect, because the music is the catalyst and not the lyrical content. As all gamers should recognize, the player's imagination can lead to greater depth of fear and loathing if one is given only the barest of hints as to what really lies beneath the surface. :]

To all others, while I agree most of these songs have sad feelings attached to them, would they still be sad if you didn't concentrate on the lyrics (of course the instrumental pieces don't count). My point being, if you have to concentrate on the lyrics for the piece to be sad, how are you concentrating on the game and what's going on? I'm not saying you can't but for me hearing "Cat's in the Cradle" or other modern song issuing forth from a supposed fantasy monster is about as jarring as hearing the heavy metal sound track behind "Lady Hawke". Though, good by itself, completely inappropriate for the setting. But as in all things YMMV. :)

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Throwing in:

1. "Swing the Heartache" by Bauhaus
2. "The Scientist" by Coldplay
3. "Young Bride" by Midlake
4. "The Final Cut" by Pink Floyd
5. "Gloria in D, Et in Terra Pax Hominibus" by Vivaldi
6. "All I Need" by Radiohead
7. "Rain" by Tones on Tail
8. "Red Hill Mining Town" by U2
9. "Haunted when the Minutes Drag" by Love & Rockets