• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sage Advice: Jeremy Crawford on Ability Checks & What They're Not

A new Sage Advice column has arrived. In this one, Jeremy Crawford discusses ability checks and spellcasting. Questions include whether attack rolls and saves are basically ability checks (no), whether the hex spell's target has disadvantage on attacks and saves which use the chosen ability (no), whether the bard's Jack of All Trades feature applies to attacks and saves (no), and whether an ability check to grapple or shove is an attack roll (no).

A new Sage Advice column has arrived. In this one, Jeremy Crawford discusses ability checks and spellcasting. Questions include whether attack rolls and saves are basically ability checks (no), whether the hex spell's target has disadvantage on attacks and saves which use the chosen ability (no), whether the bard's Jack of All Trades feature applies to attacks and saves (no), and whether an ability check to grapple or shove is an attack roll (no).

He goes on to answer questions on spellcasting limits, lines of sight, and cantrip scaling.

Find the article here.

SA_20150430.png

pemerton

Legend
Attack rolls and ability checks are often active. You choose when you use them. Saving throws are reactive, your opponent chooses when you need them.
Except that both Grapple and Shove are resisted by an Ability Check, not a Saving Throw.

So struggling against a living grappler is an Ability check, whereas struggling against a Web spell is a saving throw (unless the latter is done as an action, in which case it turns into an Ability check).

I'm sure there's a logic to it, but it is a mechanical/balance logic, not any sort of in-fiction logic.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I really hate that initiative rolls are an ability check. you've got situations where the bard and the champion get 1/2 proficiency bonus to a check that no one else can even gain proficiency for.

My 8-Intelligence, 8-Charisma 20th level barbarian has a feat that lets him cast a spell. Why does it do so much damage? Choose one:

a) game balance
b) he's channeling his rage into the magic
c) hit points are just an abstraction of how hard something is to take out of a fight, and so the barbarian - who has tons of experience killing people with axes and fists - knows exactly how to sling his little bolt of fire to murder someone

I prefer C.

Seriously, I agree. Doing more damage means better knowing how to take out your foe, not that your fire bolt is now a lava ball (IMO, of course).
If that was the case, then you'd expect weapons to deal extra dice of damage in the hands of a skilled warrior. Instead, skilled warriors get to make more attacks in a round, and a Fire Bolt doubles its damage dice in much the same way as a shortsword going into a great sword.

a) game balance
b) he's channeling his rage into the magic
c) hit points are just an abstraction of how hard something is to take out of a fight, and so the barbarian - who has tons of experience killing people with axes and fists - knows exactly how to sling his little bolt of fire to murder someone
d) he practices casting his spell enough, over the course of many levels, to become exceptionally skilled at it

In much the same way that a level 12 wizard can fight with a dagger better than a level 3 barbarian can, this level 20 barbarian is just better at casting Fire Bolt than a level 3 wizard would be.

Agamon

Adventurer
If that was the case, then you'd expect weapons to deal extra dice of damage in the hands of a skilled warrior. Instead, skilled warriors get to make more attacks in a round, and a Fire Bolt doubles its damage dice in much the same way as a shortsword going into a great sword.

Good point, I'm getting my D&D and 13th Age hp analogies mixed up.

It doesn't.

From the article.
From what I recall, the limitation is imposed by the Bonus spell. When you cast a spell as a Bonus action, you can't cast other (non-cantrip) spells that turn. If you cast a standard Action spell, there's no limit on what else you can do that turn (subject to action economy).

So you could, for example, use Action Surge to cast two Fireballs in quick succession (and no Bonus spells). Or you could cast Hex (as a Bonus action) and then use Action Surge to cast two Eldritch Blasts in succession.

I think.

Remove ads

Remove ads