• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sage Advice: Jeremy Crawford on Ability Checks & What They're Not

A new Sage Advice column has arrived. In this one, Jeremy Crawford discusses ability checks and spellcasting. Questions include whether attack rolls and saves are basically ability checks (no), whether the hex spell's target has disadvantage on attacks and saves which use the chosen ability (no), whether the bard's Jack of All Trades feature applies to attacks and saves (no), and whether an ability check to grapple or shove is an attack roll (no).

A new Sage Advice column has arrived. In this one, Jeremy Crawford discusses ability checks and spellcasting. Questions include whether attack rolls and saves are basically ability checks (no), whether the hex spell's target has disadvantage on attacks and saves which use the chosen ability (no), whether the bard's Jack of All Trades feature applies to attacks and saves (no), and whether an ability check to grapple or shove is an attack roll (no).

He goes on to answer questions on spellcasting limits, lines of sight, and cantrip scaling.

Find the article here.

SA_20150430.png

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I really hate that initiative rolls are an ability check. you've got situations where the bard and the champion get 1/2 proficiency bonus to a check that no one else can even gain proficiency for.

Sorry - forgot whose quote I just copied from about page 4-5. I agree and in our games Quickness is a skill that can be used for this exact scenario ;) Ie: in our games, Quickness adjusts Initiative. (It was a skill in Star Wars Saga, and we didn't have a problem with it - so now it is a skill in our 5E games).

If interested, here is our expanded skill/proficiency lists for our games: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-proficiencies

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Sorry - forgot whose quote I just copied from about page 4-5. I agree and in our games Quickness is a skill that can be used for this exact scenario ;) Ie: in our games, Quickness adjusts Initiative. (It was a skill in Star Wars Saga, and we didn't have a problem with it - so now it is a skill in our 5E games).

If interested, here is our expanded skill/proficiency lists for our games: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-proficiencies

That sounds like a skill tax.

It devalues the niche skills. Why take Knowledge History when you can take Quickness?

it would probably work more in the NPCs favour than the PCs - even if the players don't disclose what they're casting until the DM decides whether to counter, over the course of the game the DM will be better able to guess what spells the PCs will use than the other way around.

But DM knowledge isn't NPC knowledge.

As for counterspell while you are casting your own spell, wouldn't that be impractical as you are already in the middle of your spell? You can't cast two spells simultaneously, right?

You can't drive two cars simultaneously, but you can react to somebody trying to shove you off the road. Maybe Counterspell gets incorporated into the primary spell as a kind of defensive reaction. The rules certainly don't forbid Counterspelling under those conditions, so maybe that's the fluff.

haqattaqq

Villager
sage advice...?

does anyone know if there's a page that lists all of the sage advice atricles on the WOTC website? I find that website...... among the worst for navigating to find actual content.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Um History might not be on your list? We don't play for power gaming and players tend to choose what represents their PCs.

I don't see being first in initiative as a huge deal myself. A lot of fights occur where players can't get to the action anyway.

I don't see it as a feat tax at all. YVMV. FOr what it is worth, all our PCs have an extra skill than standard races (and more flexibility in choosing their proficiencies).

Mephistopheles

First Post
does anyone know if there's a page that lists all of the sage advice atricles on the WOTC website? I find that website...... among the worst for navigating to find actual content.

I don't think there is a direct link for articles of a particular kind (not that I can find, anyway). From what I can tell you need to go to the All Articles page and then select Sage Advice from the Narrow By drop down menu on that page.

haqattaqq

Villager
I don't think there is a direct link for articles of a particular kind (not that I can find, anyway). From what I can tell you need to go to the All Articles page and then select Sage Advice from the Narrow By drop down menu on that page.

Is it just me? but I can't see the "narrow by" drop down menu...

Remove ads

Remove ads