Sage Advice: Jeremy Crawford on Ability Checks & What They're Not

A new Sage Advice column has arrived. In this one, Jeremy Crawford discusses ability checks and spellcasting. Questions include whether attack rolls and saves are basically ability checks (no), whether the hex spell's target has disadvantage on attacks and saves which use the chosen ability (no), whether the bard's Jack of All Trades feature applies to attacks and saves (no), and whether an ability check to grapple or shove is an attack roll (no).

A new Sage Advice column has arrived. In this one, Jeremy Crawford discusses ability checks and spellcasting. Questions include whether attack rolls and saves are basically ability checks (no), whether the hex spell's target has disadvantage on attacks and saves which use the chosen ability (no), whether the bard's Jack of All Trades feature applies to attacks and saves (no), and whether an ability check to grapple or shove is an attack roll (no).

He goes on to answer questions on spellcasting limits, lines of sight, and cantrip scaling.

Find the article here.

SA_20150430.png

Interesting. I wouldn't have expected that ruling on Counterspell. I guess the narrative really is more like shooting a bullet out of the air, by using a faster bullet, rather than trying to disrupt someone as the spell is being formed.

Mercule

Adventurer
Not a fan of that interpretation. Possibly the biggest annoyance I have w/ 5E is the "Ability (skill)" notation. Skills are as separate from abilities as attack rolls are.

I suppose that, if that's the biggest gripe I have, then 5E is pretty solid. (IMO)

Zaran

Adventurer
I get the feeling they figured out it was the end of the month and didn't have half their monthly articles out so they dumped them all this week.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Behind the curtain behind the curtain

Thanks for the clarifications, Mr. Crawford. They help us not only play the game better, but understand the game better.

Are attack rolls and saving throws basically specialized ability checks?

Almost. Here's why: the distinction between attack rolls, saving throws, and ability/skill checks is very arbitrary. Basically, the designers are saying "we want to draw a line in the sand, to make fighting its own thing, defending its own thing, and then have a separate line for everything else." This isn't a bad thing - it maintains the flavor of the game and supports class definition. A more solid distinction is when you use these rolls. Attack rolls and ability checks are often active. You choose when you use them. Saving throws are reactive, your opponent chooses when you need them. Also, you get unlimited saving throws each round, while you have a finite number of attacks and checks. So it would be more fair to say attack rolls are specialized ability checks, while saving throws are separate from checks.

When you make a Strength (Athletics) check to grapple or shove someone, are you making an attack roll?

Technically, no. Realistically, yes. As DM, I would easily allow a player to use an attack roll to shove someone.

If a character has levels in more than one class, do the character’s cantrips scale with character level or with the level in a spellcasting class?

Fascinating question! It goes to the heart of "what the heck is a cantrip, and why is it in the game?" And the answer is very telling: you don't need experience as a spellcaster to become a better cantrip caster. Which says in turn: cantrips are a character feature designed to make a character feel relevant as long as his level matches the encounter level. Does this fit into an in-game setting - a 15th level barbarian/1st level wizard casting 16th level cantrips? You be the judge.

Smoo

First Post
Not a fan of the spellcasting rulings at all. Specifically, I don't like the mutiple-spells-per-round ruling (rounds are still only 6 seconds, no?) and really don't like the cantrip scaling by total level (training as a barbarian should not even remotely affect your ability to cast powerful cantrips).

5e seems to be trying to balance on this fine line between the gritty simulation style of 2e and earlier, and the ubermensch video-gaminess of 3e and later. These rulings seem to come directly from the mouth of someone who prefers the video game style.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I found the cantrip leveling of character leveling because it reminded me of another thing that has occured to me. So multiclassing create some odd situations with regard to wizard spell preparation. The rules say that on leveling up they only aquire new spells if they have slots in the wizard casting table but to copy a spell to their spell book or prepare a spell they only need a slot available. Now a Wizard 7 ranger 4 is a 9th level caster and has a 5th level slot. So if that character get a spellbook with a 5th level spell they can copy it in to their book and from my reading prepare it. But if they level from wizard 7th to 8th level wizard they cannot pick up a 5th level spell.
Am i right or and reading it too narrowly?

Remove ads

Remove ads