Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
You guys are killing me. It was so central to Dranko's nature that it still hurts. Which, I suppose, means that it was the right thing to sacrifice.

This was tricky. My first goal was to not pick something that would have to make all the other PCs change -- so no giving up Morningstar's love for him, for instance. I also didn't want to give up something physical. I could have considered giving up his clerical levels if I wanted to respec the character, since cleric/rogue doesn't merge too well, but his uneasy relationship with his God is one of the things that makes Dranko who he is. And that's when I realized I wanted something that would constantly remind him of what he had given up, so I could milk good roleplaying out of it every time I poked at it like a missing tooth. Its absence had to be just as interesting as its presence.

And what the hell, I didn't think "I wish I didn't have a demon lord who hated me" would go over too well.

I'm sure Sagiro will post the spell-like powers Dranko got from this exchange, which he triggers by burning wisdom. Any substantive use of the abilities renders him unable to cast spells that day and drives him towards the brink of insanity -- a reasonable trade. And I still don't know what ripe, rotten nugget of insanity is lodged in my head for the Adversary to find.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Dranko's new abilities are:

- detect magic at will
- repulsion and true seeing 1/day, at the cost of 2 pts. of WIS.
- time stop 1/day, at the cost of 4 pts. of WIS. (Always gives him 3 rounds)

...and there's one more ability he gets that also costs him 4 pts. of WIS, but I'll keep the details a secret until he uses it. :devil:

(Note that the WIS damage is not recovered by restoration or heal. It takes a full night's sleep, or Morningstar's protective sleep power. A miracle or wish would probably also work.)

And speaking of secrets: I expect that my many savvy readers will want to take guesses at what's in Dranko's head. I humbly implore you: please don't!. It's entirely possible that one of you will guess right, and on the off chance that Dranko/Piratecat doesn't figure it out himself, I don't want to ruin the surprise.

If you want to e-mail me a guess, I'll tell you privately if you're right.

Thanks!

-Sagiro

Last edited:

Everett

First Post
Dranko's new abilities are:

- detect magic at will
- repulsion and true seeing 1/day, at the cost of 2 pts. of WIS.
- time stop 1/day, at the cost of 4 pts. of WIS. (Always gives him 3 rounds)

All that at the cost of fame? Looks like a good trade off to me...

I humbly implore you: please don't!.

Nothing worse than an itch you can never scratch...

Remove ads