Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A brief aside, although the story hour won't get there for two years. I was reminded this week why I'm so unbelievably pleased to have Sagiro as a DM. We were trying something important, and we thought we'd taken every possible precaution to stop the bad guys from thwarting us. They still showed up half-way through our plan. It was frustrating, and we chatted with Sagiro about it after the game.

So that night, in classic story-hour form (and at the top of his writing game), he wrote a storyhour-esque account of exactly what the bad guys did to figure out our plans and prep accordingly. Our characters don't know all this, of course. But the players do. And now we have a little insight into the minds of the bad guys (making us hate them that much more!), we no longer feel like the ambush is unwarranted, and we got a great cut-scene out of it.

Moral of story: I'm totally going to steal this technique, and I can't wait for next game.

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 287
What Happened to Lord Dafron

In their rooms back at the Golden Goblet (which they now enjoy gratis) there is much to say about Lord Dafron, most of it heated invective. Flicker is all for hunting him down and killing him, and this is not an unpopular sentiment. Ernie notes that the assassins were trying to keep them alive, probably to humiliate them later, so perhaps they should respond in kind.

“I don’t care if he’s humiliated or not,” says Morningstar. “As long as he stops interfering with us.”

Dranko looks thoughtful. “I wonder if the blue skin we gave him ended up permanent?”

Aravis gives him a sheepish smile. “I wasn’t all that experienced an alchemist way back then,” he admits.

“Let’s just kill him,” Flicker repeats. He’s still shaken by his close shave, and the image of a dagger through his heart.

“He’s a Lord,” Dranko reminds him. “If we kill him, their government will want to kill us."

“What if the other Lords hate Dafron as much as we do?” asks Kibi. “He was extremely unpleasant.”

“It won’t matter,” sighs Dranko. “If you kill one Lord, the other Lords get nervous, thinking you might do the same to them someday.”

“What if he doesn’t ‘get killed,’ Aravis muses. “What if he just ‘disappears?’ I could send him to another plane.”

The discussion takes a while to wind down, as they weigh all sorts of options, ranging from a stern talking to, to a mark of justice, to a painful execution. They reach no firm conclusion, though whatever they decide, the first order of business is to learn more about him and his current whereabouts. Since the day is still relatively young, they decide to send Dranko and Aravis on a scouting mission to Mirj. Posing as a pair of well-to-do servants, and loaded down with defensive spells and protective magic items, the two of them teleport to the city of Mirj, 150 miles northwest of Djaw. The others remain telepathically linked.

Using his natural talents of fast-talking and information-gathering, Dranko soon gains an audience with a customs official who helps keep track of the city’s imports and exports. The official, an unctuous man named Stenin, looks up from his desk.

“How may I help you?”

Dranko clears his throat. “I have been tasked by my master to find out about a gentleman he wants to do business with. There are some questions about his, um, reputation, if you know what I mean.”

“Of course, of course,” says Stenin, sensing an easy profit. “A merchant?”

“It’s a Lord,” says Dranko.

“Oh!” says Stenin, sitting up straight. “A member of the House of Law! I can help you, though sensitive information will be expensive, you know.”

“I expect as much,” says Dranko with a smile. “His name is Lord Dafron.”

Stenin scratches his chin.

“In the House of Law, you say?” he asks.

“Is he not known to you?” asks Dranko.

“Understand, I have only been in this position for the last six months, and the name is not familiar. Excuse me for a moment...”

Stenin waves over an older gentleman, busy at another desk on the opposite wall.

“Stenin, what is it now?”

“Bynum, these people wish to do business with a Lord Dafron.”

Bynum strokes his moustache, a drooping gray patch of hair that hides his mouth.

“Oh, you do, do you?” he says, quirking a smile at Dranko and Aravis.

“You are clearly amused, and I don’t understand why,” says Dranko, all innocence. “What am I missing?”

“Tell me,” says Bynum, “How did your master learn of Lord Dafron, and come to want to do business with him?”

“I am not privy to that,” says Dranko. “But if there are questionable aspects...?”

Bynum forces a straight face. “Lord Dafron... is no longer a member of the House of Law.”

“Oh dear!” exclaims Dranko. “How is that so?”

“I believe he was voted out by the other members of the House,” says Bynum.

“Has he lost all of his money?” asks Dranko, aghast.

“I don’t know what has happened to him. I suspect he is no longer allowed in the Upper City. There were rumors... interesting rumors... “ Bynum trails off with a sly grin, shared with Stenin.

Dranko understands. “Would forty miracs continue this conversation?”

Dranko, Aravis and Bynum slip into a storeroom, used to temporarily house merchandise confiscated from smugglers.

“You understand, all of this is off the official government record,” says Bynum.

“Of course!” says Dranko, who would never think otherwise.

“Though there’s not much more to tell. I never saw the man, but the rumor I heard most often was that he... engaged in inappropriate activities with...um... livestock. And contracted a terrible condition. Reputation is everything in the House of Law, and the other Lords grew dissatisfied with the taint on their own reputation by association with the man. And since he also apparently suffered some hideous physical affliction as a result, his business prospects began to dry up as the stories spread... one even that he had offended the Gods, and his affliction was a curse, which is why his skin turned colors. That was about a year ago, and I don’t know what became of him after that. But you should tell your employer that he should find a new business partner... perhaps even Lord Traber, who has taken Lord Dafron’s seat in the House.

“So his mansion and belongings...” prompts Dranko.

“I don’t know what happened to his personal effects,” says Bynum. “But his mansion in the Upper City was most likely auctioned to someone else, the proceeds going to the House of Law.”

Dranko makes a show of tearing up his forged agreements. “My payment for this meeting was very well spent. You have doubtless saved our master tens of thousands of Miracs. Here...”

Dranko hands Bynum another 10 Miracs.

And with that, Dranko and Aravis depart the customs house. Ernie pipes up over the mindlink.

“Well, that explains his anger. We really ruined his life!”

Dranko spends the rest of the day combing the Lower City of Mirj for more information about Lord Dafron. It’s a cold trail since the topic is a year old, but he gathers a handful of rumors, none of them proven:

- A card-shark opines that Dafron is still hiding in the Lower City, but no one has seen him since his expulsion. At night he sneaks out of doors, wearing a hood to hide his still-blue face. If he were recognized, he’d get torn apart by a mob after all of the public executions he authorized as a Lord.
- A cook’s assistant in a seedy tavern claims that Lord Dafron has long-since fled the city, and he’s planning revenge, probably in Djaw.
- A servant for an alchemists’ guild says Dafron has expensive diviners on personal retainer. No one knows why, but it proves he has kept at least some of his personal wealth.
- A butler claims that Dafron made him a very generous offer to be his personal servant, but he turned it down, not wanting to offend the Gods.
- A local sell-sword heard that Dafron hired One Strong Shield, a well-known and expensive bodyguard from Djaw.

As evening falls, Aravis and Dranko teleport back to the Golden Goblet. The party discusses their new pile of intelligence.

“He must have retained at least some wealth,” figures Aravis, “since he was able to hire highly-competent assassins.”

Kibi strokes his beard. “I had been thinking the best revenge might be to get him thrown out of the House of Law,” he says. “But I guess we’ve already done that.”

“I almost feel badly,” says Ernie.

“He was a horrible, horrible man!” exclaims Dranko. “Don’t you remember how horrible he was?”

“And don’t you remember how he tried to have us killed?” adds Flicker.

“He’s living only for revenge,” says Dranko. “He’s hiring diviners to find us, and a bodyguard in case we find him first.”

“That’s what’s so sad,” says Ernie.

“If we deprive him of his ability to harm us,” says Aravis, “that being his money, I don’t see any reason to kill him, too.”

“I do,” says Morningstar flatly. “All he’s ever done is harm other people. Even if it’s not us, he’ll eventually find someone else to prey on. It’s what he’s done his whole life.”

“If we kill him now, he goes to Hell,” says Dranko. “If we let him live, he could atone and go to heaven someday.”

“Just what I’m trying to say,” says Ernie.

“And in the meantime, how many people will he harm who can’t defend themselves like we can?” asks Morningstar angrily. “How many chances does he get? How many more lives do we let him ruin?”

Round and round they go, reaching no consensus. Aravis tries to scry him, but gets nothing; Dafron is almost certainly in the confines of a private sanctum. Done for the day, the Company relaxes for the remainder of the evening, but for security’s sake they don’t actually sleep in the Golden Goblet. Instead they teleport out into the wilderness between Djaw and Mirj, open up the Lucent Tower, hide it with mirage arcana, and surround the whole thing with a private sanctum of their own. So protected, most of the Company goes to sleep. Morningstar first goes into a trance and visits her temple back in Tal Hae – easy to do now that Posada’s Boundary is dissolved. She warns them that Drosh, Kivian God of Death, was scared enough of something to flee Abernia. It seems like something they should know.

Then, almost on a whim, she tries to find Lord Dafron’s dreams. Against the odds she discovers them, recognizing his unpleasant mental signature. He is dreaming, and the dream is disturbing: over and over again, someone is plunging a dagger into Dranko’s chest. After many stabs, with Dranko’s body lying in a bloody stew, Dafron leans over him with a fancy teacup in hand. “Would you like more cocoa?” he asks. Morningstar senses he’s happy.

Thinking that she should tell someone about this, and figuring she should keep her dream-visitation skills sharp, she finds Ernie’s dreams as well – pleasant, chaste dreams of Yoba. She tries to intrude, to tell Ernie that Dafron still dreams of revenge, but makes a muddle out of things. Finding Dafron was more of a strain than she realized, and she only manages to change Ernie’s dream into a nightmare in which he’s stabbing Yoba.. He wakes with a shriek, and this rouses everyone else from sleep.

Morningstar tells the others about Dafron’s dream, and what happened with Ernie. “He dreams of murdering Dranko, and he’s extremely happy about it.”

“He’s stabbing Dranko?” says Aravis. “Why wouldn’t he be happy?”

Dranko, sleepy, misses the context. “Wait a minute!”

Ernie is still horrified by his modified dream. “Someone check me! Am I evil?”

Aravis glances at him and gestures idly. “No, you’re not.”

“Hey!” Ernie accuses. “All you did was wave your hand.”

“Ernie, you’re not evil,” Morningstar assures him.

“Check yourself, if you’re worried,” says Dranko.

“Does that work?” asks Ernie, both alarmed and groggy.

They all go back to sleep.

Aravis awakes with a clear memory of an extremely vivid dream – another communiqué from the Crosser’s Maze.

>> The handout I gave to Aravis:
You are back in the tavern again, sitting across from yourself. You have the distinct feeling that, in the Maze, much subjective time has passed since the last time you were here. Also your double’s face seems to shimmer and shift slightly, as if someone – you? – is struggling to see what he really looks like. You get the distinct impression that it’s not you. It’s someone you’ve never met, but you did meet them, once, in a strange place that’s much like where you are now. It’s very confusing.

“...found something for you,” says your double. “It’s disturbing. I won’t go back there again – too dangerous. And I don’t know what it means. Here, I’ll share it with you.”

Your shifting double reaches forward and grasps your hand, and you are wrenched into another vision – a vision within a vision. In the inner vision, there is a place of black madness, and something is trapped there. There is an exit from that place, but it is closing rapidly, a hole that is sealing itself, and the being trapped there won’t escape in time. In its anger it reaches a hand through the hole, and the hole closes, and the hand is severed, and so detached it flies through a great void, falling, falling through the ages...

You snap back to the tavern, sweating, shaking. Your double has been speaking again, and you only catch the last few words. There is a wistful expression on his face.

“...miss the ocean.”

Aravis has a hard time explaining it to the others. He figures that the part of him that remained in the Maze is talking to someone, and that someone is providing him information.

Dranko guesses that the dream is about whatever horrible enemy the Black Circle was trying to contact in Het Branoi.

“And that hand,” says Ernie. “Maybe the hand is the source of the black goo. It landed, and got all... spattery.”

Aravis disagrees, thinking that the hand is a metaphor – but for what, he doesn’t know.

Ernie casts find the path to ‘Lord Dafron’s sleeping chamber.’ Unsurprisingly, the direction indicated is directly toward Mirj, and they teleport themselves back to the nasty little city, disguised as a merchant lord and his retinue via a veil from Kibi.

The find the path is pointing up toward the Upper City. The party makes its way through the narrow, dirty streets of the Lower City, enduring the smell of sewage and filthy beggars lurking in the doorways of dilapidated buildings. Ernie’s spell takes them into a particularly squalid neighborhood of houses crushed up against the thick stone wall that separates the Upper and Lower Cities. It indicates the doorway of a grimy hovel.

Morningstar casts detect thoughts and gets nothing inside, so in they go, not being particularly quiet or stealthy. Ernie’s spell leads them into a tiny kitchen, and the foot of a free-standing stove. He moves some dirt aside with his foot and reveals a rope handle, which when pulled lifts a trap-door in the floor. There’s a ladder leading down into the darkness.

Morningstar detects a thought, some fifteen feet below them. A man is thinking: “Oooh, noise! Better go!” The thought cuts out, and the party hears hastily-retreating footsteps followed by the sound of a slamming door.

“I suggest we hurry,” says Aravis.

The party slides down the ladder as fast as they can, hoping to catch the person and stop them from raising an alarm. It’s dark at the bottom, so Aravis pulls out a magical torch. They’re in a small room not more than ten feet on a side, with three doors leading out of it. Find the path and conspicuously fresh footprints both indicate the same door, so through they go. Morningstar picks up no sign of the mind she detected, which is not surprising given that her spell wouldn’t go around corners. They go down a short hallway and reach a second door, which the spell indicates is trapped, but with a small catch beneath the knob. And this door opens into a very strange room.

It’s nice. Someone has taken an old smuggler’s storeroom and lined the floor with expensive stone tiles. There’s a freestanding claw-footed bathtub, and exquisite artwork and tapestries on the walls. Thick carpets cover up most of the dirt floor.

Another door out, and a short hallway beyond, adorned with fine paintings and more tapestries. Someone has taken great pains to convert an old smuggler’s hideout into an opulent dwelling, with limited success.

Another door, locked. Find the path indicates that a key is needed to open it. Flicker moves forward to ply his trade, but Aravis preempts him with a casual knock spell.

“You know,” says Flicker, “I’ve worked for years honing my craft, to the point where I can pick almost any lock you can imagine. And he does it with a little spell.”

“To be fair, he also trained for years,” says Grey Wolf.

“Well, no, not really” admits Aravis. “Not for the ‘knock’ spell specifically.”

“Think of it this way, Flick,” says Ernie. “You can do it all day long. Aravis runs out of spells.”

A thin, reedy voice comes from the far side of the door.

“Hm. Come in?”

Flicker pushes the door open. Beyond is a posh living room, over twenty feet on a side. It has a fireplace, rich carpets, a writing desk with a beautiful antique chair, and a table with the leavings of a recently-eaten meal. The walls are hung with tapestries depicting bucolic outdoor scenes, and more tapestries hang on the ceiling, these combining to show a blue sky with puffy white clouds and a cheerful sun. In a way, it’s heartbreaking.

On the far side of the room, a man in a fine silk robe sits hunched in a padded chair. His skin is a mottled shade of blueish purple, and conspicuously lumpy.

Kibi drops the veil, and Lord Dafron’s eyes grow a bit wider.

“Ah, yes,” says the former luminary of the House of Law, his voice resigned. “Well, come in. Let’s get this over with.”

“Didn’t your diviners tell you we were coming?” asks Aravis.

“No,” says Dafron sadly.

“You don’t pay them enough,” says Dranko.

“But I guessed you would find me, sooner or later.”

“You also don’t pay your assassins enough,” adds Ernie.

“Apparently not.”

Aravis sees that there is a door right next to Dafron’s chair, a door to which Dafron cannot help but glance every few seconds. There is no bodyguard in sight; the room is empty save for the pitiful blue man. Aravis strides quickly into the room and casts arcane lock on the door.

“Don’t worry about what’s in there,” he assures Lord Dafron. “It won’t bother us.”

“I guess it won’t,” says Dafron, his shoulders slumping further.

Dranko looks around the room through his magical eye patch, expecting to see someone invisible, but there’s no one. But Morningstar recasts detect thoughts, just to be sure.

As she does so, Dafron straightens up and declares: “I guess you have me dead to rights!”

And on that signal, the waiting assassins drop down from their hidden niches above the tapestries on the ceiling, and attack.

...to be continued...

wedgeski

Adventurer
Terrific, and even a brief commentary on one of the more publicised complaints about 3E wizards. :) Someday I'd love to get a inside-look at the mechanics of a campaign like this: what sort of prep. you do, and for how long, how much of the developing plot is planned, and how much improvised at the table, and so-on. With such a nicely-written Story-Hour, it's easy to forget how difficult this stuff is to do well.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Yea... I wonder how the party woul look like in 4e...
Anyway...
Your shifting double reaches forward and grasps your hand, and you are wrenched into another vision – a vision within a vision. In the inner vision, there is a place of black madness, and something is trapped there. There is an exit from that place, but it is closing rapidly, a hole that is sealing itself, and the being trapped there won’t escape in time. In its anger it reaches a hand through the hole, and the hole closes, and the hand is severed, and so detached it flies through a great void, falling, falling through the ages...

You snap back to the tavern, sweating, shaking. Your double has been speaking again, and you only catch the last few words. There is a wistful expression on his face.

“...miss the ocean.”

Now this is creepy...!

Tamlyn

Explorer
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 287
What Happened to Lord Dafron

“...miss the ocean.”

I'm blanking on his name, but what about their sailor friend who sacrificed himself to help make peace between the two sea-gods? He certainly would be willing to help Aravis.

Aravis

First Post
I'm blanking on his name, but what about their sailor friend who sacrificed himself to help make peace between the two sea-gods? He certainly would be willing to help Aravis.

You are thinking of Makel. I sincerely doubt that is who is speaking, but we shall see...

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 288
No Remorse

The tapestries themselves are part of the trap – they have weights sewn into their edges and come down like nets. Most of the Company avoids them, but Kibi and Ernie become covered and entangled.

Two of the assassins drop down on either side of Morningstar and strike her with vicious sneak-attacks. The damage is gruesome, but there is a silver lining: thanks to Ernie’s heroes’ feast, she (like all the party) is now immune to the virulent poison that drips from the enemy blades.

A third assassin – a spellcaster – strikes Aravis with a dimensional anchor, and the wizard glows green.

“No escape this time,” he hisses through his black mask.

Lord Dafron himself rises smoothly from his chair, and makes a motion like he’s drawing a sword. He doesn’t seem to have a sword – it looks like he’s now brandishing a piece of paper – but he swings at Aravis and strikes him with an invisible blade.

“I don’t think that’s Dafron,” Aravis thinks to the others over the mind link.

“Probably the bodyguard with an illusion,” thinks Grey Wolf.

Yet another assailant zaps Morningstar with a wand, and she too becomes dimensionally anchored. It looks like the previous enemy’s assessment is correct, and the party will not be teleporting away this time.

To end the surprise round, a cleric among the assassins casts greater command, but the Company proves highly resistant. Only the weak-willed Flicker succumbs to the order to Halt. (It turns out the caster himself also has to make a will save, as the spell is turned around by Dranko’s necklace of mind-spell inversion, but he resists.)

Dranko, recovering first from the sudden attack, slides into a flanking position and lashes with his whip. Alas, the more experienced assassin is not perturbed in the slightest by his tactical position, and Dranko is unable to strike with extra precision.

One of the assassins next to Morningstar smiles behind his mask, and slips his short sword through a joint in her armor. Already heavily wounded, Morningstar drops unconscious to the tiled floor. Another assassin attacks Grey Wolf, and though he only manages a single hit, it’s excruciatingly painful. Yes, these are clearly the same trained professionals that nearly killed them just days earlier.

Grey Wolf thinks he has the answer. He uses his Spellsword ability to load greater fireburst into Bostock, and Bostock’s ability to Maximize it. He strikes true with the blade, and a roaring pillar of fire erupts from the point of impact, enveloping the assassin. But when the fire clears, his enemy is only mildly singed, having evaded the entire effect. Damn!

More painful indignities are visited upon Aravis, as he’s struck blind by a power word from one of his foes, and then slashed by “Dafron,” with a sword blow that also leaves him fatigued.

Ernie looses both a spiritual weapon and Beryn Sur out from beneath his tapestry, while Kibi casts xorn movement and escapes into the ground beneath the floor. Seconds later he pops up on the other side of the room and casts an earthbolt into a concentrated knot of enemies.

The other assassin standing over the unconscious Morningstar takes a casual swipe across her throat before moving over to Aravis, a sure killing blow to the Ellish priestess. But Dranko staves off her death with close wounds, bringing her back from the brink into the realm of the merely unconscious.

Kibi is targeted with another wand-fired dimension anchor, but it’s negated by the dwarf’s mantle of spell resistance. Grey Wolf is not so protected, and joins the ranks of the anchored.

It’s one of those moments in battle where things look extremely grim. Surrounded by trained killers, with their main cleric down, Flicker commanded into inaction, Grey Wolf badly injured, and Aravis blind and near death himself. And with multiple party members locked down, there will be no hurried escape under fog cover, as is the party’s preferred means of getting out of this sort of scrape.

“Pewter,” thinks Aravis through his pain. “I need you to be my eyes.”

“You got it, boss,” answers his familiar. “And I know where you’re going. Your best bet is to step straight back and turn right about thirty degrees. You’ll get just about all of them. And Grey Wolf, but that can’t be helped.”

“Grey Wolf,” thinks Aravis. “Prismatic spray coming. Duck!”

Aravis follows Pewter’s instructions and casts his spell, catching seven of the assailants in the blast. He knows it’s a gamble – three of the possible beams are easily evaded by assassins of this caliber. But luck is on his side today:

One assassin is driven insane.

One assassin vanishes, sent to Astral Plane.

One assassin starts foaming at the mouth, turns a sickly mustard color beneath his mask, and drops dead.

One assassin becomes statuary.

Of the remaining two assassins, one is mightily sickened by poison though manages not to die. Only the leader – a no-nonsense woman named One Swift Death – is entirely unaffected by the spell.

The man posing as Lord Dafron (who, as the party surmises, is really the hired bodyguard One Strong Shield) considers himself lucky to merely be burned by acid.

And Grey Wolf comes out just fine, resisting the spell’s calcifying energies. Following his fantastically efficacious blast, Aravis uses his tongue stud of potion quickening to gulp down a healing draught.

So, in three short seconds, the battle has gone from near-certain disaster to practically the mopping up phase. Dranko heals Morningstar back to consciousness, Flicker snaps out of the greater command, and Grey Wolf wraps up a number of bad guys in dancing chains. The most effective attack the enemies manage to launch for the rest of the battle is a feeblemind – but that is cast by the insane guy, directly at the bodyguard! One Strong Shield starts to drool.

Empowered cone of cold from Kibi. Pewter-guided lightning bolt from Aravis. Massive sneak-attack from Flicker. One of the wand-wielding assassins, soon finding himself the last villain standing, throws his hands in the air and drops his wand.

Grey Wolf looms over him. “You should start thinking of a way to stop me from taking your spell components.”

The assassin looks confused. “I do not have any spell components on me, good sir.”

Grey Wolf, whose spell assassin’s senses requires assassin fingers as components, begs to differ. He starts to count them: “One, two, three...”

The assassin goes pale. “What do I have to do?” he asks with some desperation.

“Let’s start with our stuff,” says Grey Wolf, “the stuff that you gentlemen acquired from us during out last encounter.”

“I know nothing about that!” the assassin protests.

“Then start knowing!” says Ernie.

“I cannot!” the prisoner implores. “I would, if I knew anything!”

Dranko clears his throat. “It is fair to say that we are displeased,” he says darkly.

They do their heavy questioning under a battery of spells: zone of truth, detect thoughts and discern lies. Dranko gets right to the point.

“Where’s Dafron? The man who hired you?”

“I don’t know anything about the man who hired us,” says the assassin (whose name is Two Graceful Leaps). “I was taking my orders from her.” He points to the body of One Swift Death.

“Where was she getting her orders from?” demands Dranko.

“Our employer,” Leaps says, honestly.

“Then tell me about him!”

Leaps sighs. “I already told you. And while I know you will kill me, the truth is I cannot, because I don’t know anything about him.”

The various truth spells indicate that this is so, so Dranko tries another tack. He motions to One Strong Shield.

“Tell me about this man who’s dribbling.”

Two Leaps glances at the feebleminded man-at-arms. “Our leader, Swift Death, told us that our employer would also have his own man working along side us. That is him. I don’t know any more about him.”

“How is that you knew we would be here now?," asks Dranko. “How long have you been waiting for us?”

“We have been waiting for some time -- since the previous attack on you failed. I was not present at the previous encounter; in fact, this was my first assignment. Swift Deaths said: ‘take this wand. Point it at our targets, and zap.’ I am sorry I cannot tell you more. Though I have a question for you: if I continue to answer all of your questions, and truthfully, are you still going to kill me?”

“We don’t know,” says Morningstar wearily.

“You see,” says Dranko, “we don’t kill people as a business. We kill people because they annoy us.”

Two Leaps looks solemn. “I am familiar with men of your profession,” he says. “You roam around the countryside, looking for deeds to do, often involving the killing of people. Sometimes you are paid for this, yes?”

Gods, it’s going to be one of these discussions.

While some in the party take part in the interrogations, the others set themselves to the looting. Grey Wolf wasn’t kidding about the fingers, but figures dead ones will do.

“That is unseemly” Bostock declares.

Grey Wolf sighs and pulls out a dagger.

“I was not referring to my own personal involvement,” the sword clarifies. “I find the harvesting of body parts distasteful. Perhaps you should not be casting a spell that requires human digits.”

“It makes me a better attacker...” Grey Wolf begins to protest.

“I’m not sure it’s worth it. And while I’m on the subject, your barbed chains are also disturbing. Are you aware that they are possessed of a somewhat evil necromantic nature? You have great fighting prowess, and formidable arcane abilities, but perhaps you should choose your spells from among the less unsavory.”

Grey Wolf rubs his temples.

Flicker, one of the most efficient looters on Abernia, stands and frowns. “Our stuff isn’t here,” he says, annoyed.

Back to interrogation. Morningstar steps forward and gets in the assassin’s face.

“Here’s our dilemma,” she says. “We’ll let you go, and Ernest here will count on this experience having changed you, and he’ll hope you live a life of doing good deeds. On the other hand, our experience tells me that you’ll probably just go back to being a hired killer.”

Reading his thoughts, Morningstar hears this: If the Guild discovers that I’ve fled, alive, from a job, they’ll hunt me down and kill me. She shares that with the others.

“You don’t have to flee,” says Flicker. “We could kidnap you!”

“Intriguing,” admits Two Leaps. “Where would you take me?”

“We could drop him off on some other plane,” suggests Aravis.

“Look, give us a reason why we shouldn’t kill you,” says Dranko.

“Because,” says Leaps, “after today I’ll make sure you never see me again.”

Reading his thoughts, Morningstar knows that while this is technically true, his first order of business would be to get back into the good graces of the Assassins Guild.

“Are you in the Assassins’ Guild?” asks Dranko. “And if so, how did you join?”

Leaps nods. “I was invited, because of my success as a cat burglar. I said yes, because the pay is good, and there are poor consequences for saying ‘no.””

“What’s your name?” asks Aravis.

“Two Graceful Leaps.”

There’s more mind-link bickering among the party, most notably between Ernie (advocating mercy) and Morningstar (failing to understand why Two Leaps is still breathing.) Sending him to prison is a poor option in Mirj, where the jails are as porous as the bribes are numerous. In the end they reach a compromise: Aravis casts polymorph any object and turns Two Graceful Leaps into a cat.

That taken care of, they move on to the slack-jawed One Strong Shield, still under an illusion spell that makes him look (presumably) like Lord Dafron. Morningstar casts memory read, targeting the memory of “the last time he received orders from Lord Dafron.”

The memory takes place in the very room they’re already in. Lord Dafron sits across from him. Strong Shield in his normal aspect is a tall, broad-shouldered, battle-hardened guy who takes pride in his conditioning.

“Do you understand?” says Dafron. “We will go over this one more time. You are going to be made to look like me. They will hopefully come right in, and will probably try to arrest me. They are do-gooders, and are unlikely to simply attack you unless provoked. The team will be hiding in the room upstairs. Between you and them, and their new recruits, you should have enough combined might to take them out. There will be a lot of chaos. The people you will be fighting alongside are very good in close quarters. Plus, they will be slowly draining away the strength and vitality of your enemies, as their blades will be poisoned. Do not touch them, or get nicked. Do you understand your orders?”

“Yes I do,” says Shield.

“Are you happy with your payment?” asks Dafron.

“Yes I am.”

“Very good.” Dafron stands. “Now, if you’ll excuse me. You may be waiting here for some time, as we don’t know exactly when they’ll be showing up. You may be bored for a day or two. If I learn anything more, I’ll let you know.”

Dafron leaves through the same door that Aravis arcane locked right before the recent melee.

Aravis now unlocks that door, and Morningstar goes first so that she can cast more thought captures. Ten feet down a short hallway she bumps a low tripwire that triggers a scything blade from a slot in the wall. It slashes across her stomach.

“Morningstar!” yells Dranko. “That’s so cool! I’ve never actually seen one of those before. Now, hold on...”

He heals her.

They proceed with more caution, Flicker out in front this time. Two more thought captures don’t reveal any recent or emotional thoughts. As they move down a particularly long stretch of tunnel, Kibi senses that they’re passing under the wall, and into an area below the Upper City.

They find another well-furnished study, and a particularly opulent bedroom. A third room is actually being used for storage; two large trunks have been pushed up against a far wall. One contains about half of their missing stuff, and has a note along with it that says “O.S.S.” The other trunk contains the rest of their pilfered belongings, along with some gems and trade bars. Both trunks are lined with lead.

After about half an hour of moving slowly through the extensive tunnel network, they come to a stout wooden door that looks different from the smuggler doors. After Flicker disarms a poison needle trap, Dranko casts omen of peril before they open it. Seeing an hour into the future, the result is “safety.”

So emboldened, they walk through and into a large basement – better maintained and well-built than the smugglers’ rooms. It’s full of furniture, paintings, statues and similar upper-class decorations. Morningstar casts another thought capture here and gets one: I hope that Lord Traber follows through on his promise. A second spell gets a second, more optimistic thought: I know they’re going to succeed this time. They have to!

There’s a staircase leading up out of the basement. Before they ascend, Dranko turns to the rest of the Company.

“What are we going to say to Lord Traber when we find him?” he asks.

Aravis has a simple answer. “That he can tell us where Lord Dafron is, or we’ll expose their deals.”

At the top of the stairs, Dranko slowly pushes a door open. A man dressed like a butler is standing there in a wide, well-appointed hallway. He stares at Dranko, but without showing alarm.

“Ah,” he says after a second’s pause. “The Lord has been expecting you. Will you please come this way?”

The butler turns his back on the armed and bloody half-orc and walks away down the hall. Morningstar casts another detect thoughts and finds that the butler, while thinking that this is all highly irregular, has strict orders from Lord Traber. Some group of strangers would be coming up the stairs, fresh from battle, and whomever was in that group should be escorted to the Lord’s office.

They arrive at a large oak door and the butler knocks. “Lord Traber, you have visitors.”

“Well, let them in.”

They recognize Lord Dafron’s old office right away, though the furniture is different, as is the man behind the desk. Lord Traber is a large and powerfully-built man, with sandy blond hair and a deep voice.

Morningstar’s detect thoughts picks up a stray mental note, coming from behind a wall.

I can’t believe he just let them in here!

Lord Traber looks at the assembled Company. “I assume you are here for Dafron.”

The thought changes: What the hell is he playing at?

Lord Traber smiles and gestures to the wall. “He’s hiding in a hidden closet, right there.”

My Gods! No!

“I admire a pragmatist,” says Dranko. “Are you aware of the smugglers’ tunnels connecting your house to the Lower City?”

“Yes, of course,” says Traber.

“And by handing over Dafron,” says Ernie, “Your position here will be more secure, regardless of your association with him.”

“Association?” says Traber. “Hardly. He just ran in here and begged me to hide him in the closet.”

That lying son of a %$#!

Flicker easily finds the catch to the concealed closet door, and pops it open. In a little cabinet, cowering in the back, skin a sickly blue and splotchy, is Lord Dafron, hunched over and wild-eyed.

“Poor little guy,” says Kibi.

“Oooooooh, no!” says Dranko.

“I beg you not to kill me!” pleads Dafron, in his distinctively high and nasal voice.

“Where are your assets hidden?” demands Aravis.

My assets? Ah, crap. They’re going to worm out of me where I’m keeping all of my stuff!

“Just understand,” says Dranko. “Your assassins are dead. Your bodyguard is drooling. And we are very displeased. You can buy our favor by telling us where you keep your assets.”

“You are going to kill me anyway, and I don’t wish to tell you,” says Dafron defiantly.

“That’s a shame,” says Ernie, “because you could have done some good with your assets.”

“I spent almost everything I had, to see that you were destroyed, in return for what you did to me,” spits Dafron.

Morningstar nods. That’s the truth.

“You ruined yourself!” says Ernie. “With your own greed, your willingness to subject others to addiction, and pain, and suffering.”

“And that business with goats!” adds Flicker.

Dafron’s eyes narrow. “I knew it was you, who spread that vile rumor that got me kicked out of the House of Law.”

Ernie answers. “Dafron, if you had been a good man, and had the respect of your colleagues, do you think they would have been swayed by something as small as an unfounded rumor? Do you think you would have fallen so low if you hadn’t stepped on so many people on the way up?”

Dafron is hardly listening. He gestures to his own ravaged skin. “If this hadn’t also happened, there would have been no substantiating evidence. You are the ones responsible, admit it! Which one of you was it that mixed that vile concoction?”

“You mean the one that cured you from the addiction to your own drug? That one?” asks Dranko.

“I am the one who cured you,” says Aravis.

“Tell me,” asks Dafron. “Was the ‘extra’ potion – the one in which you used... wild bluevine... was that part of the cure, or an extra knife blade in the back?

”It wasn’t supposed to be permanent,” says Aravis.

“I have a sensitivity to wild bluevine. My father had it as well. By the time the healers arrived, its effect was part of me, and there was nothing left to cure. I was blue.”

“And a fine shade, I might add,” says Aravis.

“And the rumor? The absurd, humiliating rumor?”

“That was me,” admits Dranko.

“See?” screeches Dafron. “This was not my responsibility. It was yours!”

“You brought it on yourself,” says Aravis. “If you had not created the powder, you would never have drunk it, and would have had no need to drink our cure.”

“Irrelevant!” shrieks Dafron.

Ernie disagrees. “Extremely relevant! The person you are, the things you do with your life, are all choices you make yourself. And you’ve made nothing but bad choices.”

“Yes, yes apparently I have,” says Dafron, more calmly. “I made enemies of those who would seek to humiliate me in the worst possible way, and take away from me everything that had meaning in my life. And now that you’re here, go ahead. Kill me.”

Morningstar, reading his surface thoughts throughout this exchange, is all for that. None of his thoughts show even the slightest iota of guilt or true remorse. There is only anger and humiliation.

“We’ll give you this choice,” says Dranko. “Tell us where you keep your remaining wealth, and we’ll at least kill you here, quickly. Otherwise, we’ll just hand you over to those in the Lower City, and they can dispense your justice.”

“I see,” says Dafron. “Having destroyed me is not enough for you. You have to compound my suffering until the very end.”

“I don’t mean to interrupt this touching reunion,” says Lord Traber, clearing his throat. “but I am having a meeting with some visiting merchants here in about ten minutes. Can you resume this somewhere else?”

“We’ll only need five more minutes,” Dranko promises. Morningstar casts memory read on Dafron, targeting the memory of “when he last saw the main part of his remaining wealth.” She gets a memory of a warehouse, and thinks she could find the path to the place later.

Dafron, who relives the memory along with her, becomes wholly deflated.

“Fine,” he says. “Take what little I have left. You’ll find it’s not much.”

“You could have chosen another path,” says Morningstar. “Even now, you could show a little remorse.”

Dafron stares back at her, eyes now gone vacant.

“There is no room left in my heart for remorse.”

Back in the smugglers’ tunnels, the Company dispenses justice. In the manner in which he executed so many others, Dafron is hanged by the neck until dead.

...to be continued...

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Another great update!

However, I caught two small errors:

A third assassin – a spellcaster – strikes Aravis with a dimension door, and the wizard glows green.

I believe that should be dimensional anchor.

“You are going to kill me anyway, and I don’t wish to tell you,” says Dranko defiantly.

I think that should be Daffron who says that.

Oh, and Tongue Stud of Potion Quickening? What the heck is that and how does it work? In my last campaign, one of the BBEG had a Tongue Stud of Hell Breath. . . ;)

Remove ads