Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 290
Information

The discussion as they leave the Enchanters’ Hall largely concerns the Guild of Chains. There is general agreement that something is rotten about whole arrangement, and that they could probably dig up some dirt if they went back to Gurund and got hold of specific criminal records. Ernie opines sadly that if there is something amiss, it’s likely an open secret among the parties involved; after all there’s money to be made, and slave ownership is popular among the upper classes.

Regardless, the party spends the next three months engaged in a number of different activities, often splitting up and separated by the gulf of the ocean. Here is a summary of their activities through early June:

1. Aravis receives another communiqué from his aspect in the Crosser’s Maze:

Your dream is a vision, clear and cold. You have discovered a vast and lifeless city, and there are tombs here, underground crypts not meant for mortal remains. Through the Maze you have arrived, but you are not meant to be here. Gods fought, and Gods died, and here are Gods interred.

“They called it Naslund, the Great Necropolis,” says the voice of King Vhadish XXIII, who stands nearby. “But who will tend it, with its Caretakers gone?”

He relates this to the others, and they ponder the introduced mysteries.

“Brush up on your turning,” suggests Grey Wolf to the party clerics.

“Wait... Gods died?” asks Morningstar. “I mean... I never envisioned that they could have bodies that would need burial.”

“If Gods can fight, Gods can die,” says Dranko.

“Many of your human gods fled from the Great Enemy,” Ernie points out. “Why would they have fled, if they couldn’t be killed?”

“I’m not disturbed by the thought that Gods can die,” says Aravis – which is an ironic comment for a couple of reasons.

“Think of it, though,” says Ernie. “If you can take a dragon’s toenail and use it for powerful spell components, what could you do with a God’s body?”

“And imagine the loot that might be buried in a God’s tomb!” adds Flicker.

“Er... maybe it was just an actual bad dream?” suggests Kibi, not at all comfortable with the topic.

Aravis sighs. “I wish it were, but this was clearly a vision from the Maze.”

“I wonder,” says Morningstar, looking thoughtful. “If the Caretakers were the ones who just left – the ones we gave the Maze to...”

2. Dranko checks briefly on his grandfather (who is still in good health), but spends most of his free time administering the Undermen in as visible a way as possible. He consults with Lucas Blackwell about their nascent trading company, reviews some new recruits, talks with Greta Smith about the state of the Guild treasury, and learns to his delight that the Undermen sponsor their very own adventuring party – a group of mid-level heroes who style themselves “The Overmen.”

He also finds the time to visit Harmon, his old mentor at the Tal Hae church. Dranko tells his friend the entire tale of his adventures, including the particularly disturbing news from their encounter with Belshikun.

“One of the Gods in Kivia is fleeing,” he says as a closing remark.

“From... the Adversary?” Harmon can’t mask his skepticism.

“We don’t know,” admits Dranko. “But we think so.”

“I really doubt that,” says Harmon. “That the Adversary would have only found us now, after all this time? And if he has, we’d all be dead.”

“You know how when you go into a cave, you carry a canary,” says Dranko, “and if the canary dies, you know you’re going to die too?”

Harmon grunts and shakes his head. It’s too much for him, really, but he presses on.

“So what God fled?” he asks.

“The God of Death,” says Dranko.

“The Kivian God of Death has left his people behind, and the world, you say. But the Gods live in the Heavens. Are you saying that the Kivian Gods are abandoning Heaven?”

Dranko exhales, “I don’t know. We don’t know.”

“These things are far beyond my knowledge and experience,” says Harmon.

“Well, there’s also the demon who wants to destroy my soul.”

Harmon sighs. “Dranko, didn’t’ I tell you that if you didn’t watch your tongue, someday you’d lose it?”

“Hey! I did the right thing!”

“Yes. You are extremely brave, forthright, and luckier than any man has a right to be. And if he does decide to come after you? What are you going to do?”

“My plan,” says Dranko, “is to become as saintly as possible, so the church will send in its most powerful heroes to save me.”

Harmon chuckles. “First, my understanding is, you are ‘the most powerful heroes.’ Second, when are you going to start acting saintly?”

A little guiltily, Dranko says, “Er.... well, I have a bunch of people who are ready to spread rumors about how pious and good I am. Does that count?”

Harmon says nothing for a moment, his expression growing more serious. “Dranko, can I talk to you about something?”

He stands, crosses the room, and closes the door.

“Dranko, I’ve been hearing things. Disturbing things. That... you’ve been associating with the... Undermen. Is that true?”

“Why would I be doing that?” asks Dranko.

Harmon is not fooled. “I know that you’re a good man at heart. Be careful when you deal with such an unseemly lot.”

“If I were associating with them, it would be with the ultimate goal of trying to redeem and improve them,” says Dranko. “We all serve Delioch in our own way.”

“Do not become ensnared in their unsavory dealings!” warns Harmon.

“As of right now, I feel that I am in control of the situation,” says Dranko.

Harmon cracks a smile again. Is this really the same half-orcish scamp who terrorized the clergy all those years? “Dranko, you know that I will always trust you to do the right thing.”

“And that’s why I look up to you more than just about anyone else in the world,” says Dranko with a grin. “You have been a beacon of goodness to me. Do you think I should tell Tomnic about any of this stuff?”

Harmon is surprised by the question. “Of course you should!”

“Will he believe me?”

“He’ll know if you speak the truth, Dranko. He is the leader of our church.”

3. Morningstar visits several churches throughout Charagan, feeling out the delicate political fabric that her journey and subsequent elevation made inevitable. In specific she is concerned about how the ranks of newly-minted Daywalkers are being integrated into the church proper. Technically it’s over and done with, declared as Law by High Priestess Rhiavonne. But while most of the rank of file sisters are relieved that the tension of Schism has been relieved, there is still grumbling from some quarters and more political maneuvering than Morningstar is comfortable with.

Amber, the clear choice, has been put in charge of the Daywalkers in Tal Hae, and Morningstar sits down with her one sunny afternoon. The snores of the sisterhood come faintly from the dormitories. Amber herself sits behind a jet-black desk piled high with scrolls and notebooks.

“It’s what I’ve gotten myself into,” she says to Morningstar with a helpless gesture. “Administrative nonsense. I liked the fire and brimstone better, but it’s Ell’s will. And how are you?”

“Well, thank you,” says Morningstar. It’s such an odd conversation to be having. With a start she realizes that it’s the first day of April – four years ago to the day was her summons by Abernathy. (And relatively it seems even longer, what with her time spent in the past.)

“Should I add your name to the local rolls?” asks Amber casually.

Morningstar considers. “I suspect I’ll always be out and about.”

“But your name ought to be recorded somewhere,” presses Amber. “You are the de facto leader of the Daywalkers, and most would say of the Dreamwalkers as well.”

“I am the ‘Child of Darkness and Light’,” says Morningstar with an exaggerated sigh.

“Many of us are, these days,” says Amber, laughing. “We are hoping for a half-dozen Daywalkers at every major temple and shrine, but you are not personally affiliated with any place. It would be an honor to connect you with Tal Hae.”

Seeing that Amber won’t take ‘no’ for an answer, she relents, and Amber wastes no time added Morningstar’s name to the official record.

“So, what’s next?” Amber asks. “I’m glad that things have worked out so well, but I almost feel deflated. Like we’re preparing for an unknown future, with no fixed goals.”

“Octesian is still out there,” Morningstar reminds her.

“Do you have any leads?”

“No,” admits Morningstar. “But finding him would be a fine goal in itself. And training up as a cohesive fighting force is always advised. Remember, you can train with other priestesses; you are still allowed to associate with those who are not Daywalkers.”

Amber steeples her fingers and touches her lips. “There is... some pressure against that, unfortunately. We are seen as a specific, separate unit, if you take my meaning. It is the price of a begrudging tolerance. But... small steps. Small steps. We are certainly making progress.”

“It’s not very exciting,” says Morningstar, “but our highest priority should be to gain the trust and acceptance of the main body of the Church.”

“And the best way to do that is to do good works, and serve Ell without reservation,” says Amber. “And by doing, not seem so separate. For better or worse, we were considered militant at best, and heretical at worst in some quarters.”

She looks thoughtfully at Morningstar before changing the subject. “I understand you’re going to be writing some scrolls... some new chapters of our holy texts. That’s very exciting! Just think, a thousand years from now, the Scrolls of Morningstar will be read alongside the papers and prophecies of Therena, the Lady Vesper, and all the other prophets and seers of the ages. Have you given any thought to what you’ll write?”

“Some,” says Morningstar, as non-committaly as possible.

“If you want help, just to bounce ideas off of, I am at your disposal,” says Amber, a gleam in her eye.

“I haven’t started the process yet, but thank you,” says Morningstar gratefully. And to change the subject herself, she asks: “Have you had a chance to visit Kivia, now that anyone can do that?”

Amber looks ruefully at the stacks of papers on her desk. “Maybe I’ll take a vacation. Get out from under all of this, and take a trip, see the world. There are ships making the crossing now, several weeks long I understand. There’s a lot to see under the sun, and it’s my job now to see it.”

4. When Morningstar relates her conversation with Amber to the others, Dranko chuckles at Amber’s lack of subtlety. “Everyone wants to be famous,” he says, speaking from the heart.

“And we are famous!” says Flicker. “We’re the Heroes of the Kalkas Peaks!”

That makes Dranko nostalgic for their keep in the Norlin Hills – technically “Longtooth Keep,” though he refers to it, as always, as “Castle Blackhope.” He, Flicker and Kibi take a quick teleport to visit the place, and find that it’s looking extremely spiffy and refurbished. There is still a team of fifteen dwarven craftsmen there, reinforcing the bailey, building new stone stairways to replace the old crumbling ones, and making numerous small repairs and improvements. The old squatter, Fergus, is still there doing odd jobs and yard work, and calling himself the official caretaker.

5. In the name of due diligence, the Company makes sure that the Null Shadow Cauldron is still secure in Kallor, and that the Evil Black Book remains protected in the Greenhouse. Both are as they were last left.

6. Two weeks after his vision about the Necropolis, Aravis has a new dream from the Maze:

You are back in the tavern again, its time and place unknown. You sit across from yourself, though it is not yourself, but rather that elusive someone whom you both have and have not met. He has been speaking to you.

“...history. I find it rather tragic.”

Your double grasps your hand, and again you are plunged into a vision within the vision. A tall man dressed in kingly garb stands in a dead and lonely field. He glances to the sides, as if fearing he was followed here. The full moon illuminates his handsome face.

The field is not simply dead. It is corrupted, its grass black and reeking, and this man of royal countenance wrinkles his nose even as he takes slow steps inward. He stops when he reaches the center of the field, his feet at the edge of a still black pool hardly bigger than a puddle. He looks down at the pool intently, as if it is whispering and he strains to hear what it’s saying.

The man’s lips quirk. ‘What do you want?” he asks in a trembling voice. “Why have you called me here?” He listens again to the silent field, and then reaches down to touch the surface of the pool...

The vision ends abruptly, and you are jarred awake. It is the middle of the night.

“The Maze should send you something happier,” says Flicker, when Aravis tells them about it over the morning’s heroes’ feast.

“That black pool is probably the ‘black goo,’” guesses Grey Wolf. “The stuff from Het Branoi.”

7. Six weeks into their hiatus, on a night when all the Company is enjoying the plush comforts of the Golden Goblet, there comes a great cacophony from the streets. It is dogs – dozens, hundreds of dogs, baying and barking and howling in loud and mournful tones. The sound comes from all directions, so it’s not localized to any one area. As far as the groggy party can tell, every dog in Djaw is raising a ruckus. It continues for over ten minutes, punctuated by numerous human shouts of annoyance, before it starts to die down.

The next morning everyone in the city is talking about it, though no one seems to know why it happened. Aravis and Dranko immediately teleport back to Charagan and look up Octavius Hightower in the capital city. Octavius is the leader of the Starshine Players, a troupe of bards in the employ of the Undermen. And the bardic spell list includes speak with animals.

“How urgent is this matter?” inquires Octavius, upon hearing Dranko’s unusual request.

“Very,” says Dranko. “Dogs forget things very quickly.”

Octavius soon introduces them to a tall, skinny bard with a thick drooping mustache and a parrot perched piratically on his shoulder. Georg is his name, and he bows when he learns he’s speaking directly to the Oracle himself.

“It’s truly an honor to meet you, sir,” he says.

“Rawk!” Says the parrot. “Suck up! Suck up! Rawk!”

They intend to ferry Georg back to Djaw, but find to their surprise that the dog-barking episode also occurred in Charagan! So the party quickly rounds up a dog from the street, and Dranko puts his headband of intellect around its head. He asks his questions while Georg translates.

“Why do you look so sad?” asks Dranko. And it’s true – the dog’s tail is dragging, its movements sluggish.

“There has been a great tragedy,” says the dog. “An important dog has died.”

“The God of Dogs?” asks Dranko, thinking of Aravis.

“It was one of the Great Pack,” says the dog.

“How do you know he died?” asks Dranko.

“All the dogs felt it,” says the dog. “Didn’t you?”

“Where did it happen?” presses Dranko. “Who killed him?”

The dog looks puzzled. “I’m not sure where it was. But one of the Great Pack was killed, by a shadow.”

“How many dogs are in the Great Pack?”

“I don’t know. I can’t count.”

“Are the more left?” asks Dranko.

“There must be,” says the dog plaintively.

Dranko takes back his headband, exchanging it for a soup bone. The dog wags its tail and licks his face.

Aravis looks troubled. “Maybe they’ll be after me next.”

8. Two weeks after the barking dog incident, Aravis receives yet another piece of mental correspondence from the Crosser’s Maze:

The tavern is starting to become familiar, and your ally sits across from you. Still he wears your face.

“Once again I have something to share,” he says. “It’s disturbing. And this is relatively current.”

He touches your hand, and in another vision you see two figures in silhouette, one short and wide, the other tall and lithe, both fully armored. The short one hands the tall one a tiny vessel, like a thimble, filled with...

“Drink it,” the short one hisses. “And be grateful you are found worthy of such an honor.”

The tall person drinks, convulses, gasps. The short person chuckles.

“There. Now you’ll survive the trip.”

9. Kibi is able to find a learned sage named Ten Twisted Words, who specializes in Djawish legal matters. The dwarf retains his professional services, seeking information on the following related matters:

- What are the specific legalities (or lack thereof) of enslaving someone? What determines the circumstances of enslavement, and the duration of the sentence? Is there anything unusual about the enslavement of dwarves from Gurund?

- What is the extent of connection between the Guild of Chains and the ruling body of Djaw? What is the general attitude of the government toward the Guild and its activities?

A week and 100 miracs later, Twisted Words delivers Kibi a summary:

To Mr. Kibilhathur Bimson:

Pursuant to your request for services, I have prepared this document in order to address your questions regarding the Guild of Chains.

The Guild of Chains (hereafter, 'the Guild') is a long-established and well-respected organization that provides a valuable service to the city of Djaw, the other Jewels of the Plains, and several surrounding states. They are granted an official charter, renewed annually by the office of the Emperor, may he live forever, to acquire slaves in accordance with Djawish and local laws, and make those slaves available for auction. They are charged additionally with holding the slaves between purchase and auction, carrying out the auctions, and making delivery of product.

Specifically, the Guild is authorized to purchase and enslave persons who fall into one of two categories:

1) A person who has acquired debts and lacks the ability to make repayment within the contracted time. By presenting the contract in question before a lawfully appointed magistrate of Djaw, the creditor may legally sell the debtor to the Guild for a sum of miracs equal to the amount of the debt owed. The Guild may then sell the slave at auction. The period of enslavement is based upon a strict schedule correlated with the amount of the debt. For instance, an unpaid debt of 500 miracs will result in 5 years of enslavement.

Slaves who fall into this category must live within the generally accepted geographical boundaries of the White Sun Kingdom.

2) A person who has been found guilty and convicted of a crime, and is being held by a local government, may be purchased by the Guild from that government and sold as a slave at auction. In this case, the government in question need not be one within the White Sun Kingdom; the Guild has purchased criminals from Gurund and Dir-Tolia. (There are conflicting reports of criminals purchased from Seresef.) There is a minimum local population requirement of 50 persons in order for the Guild to agree to a slave transaction. Any criminal held in a village of fewer than 50 persons may only be sold by an authority of an encompassing district, town, county, city-state or country that in total contains over 50 persons.

Price is negotiated directly between the Guild and the governing authority in question. The relevant crime need only be considered such by local law, and not necessarily by Djawish law. The Guild is authorized to consider each case individually, and purchase any slave who they agree has committed a crime in his or her local jurisdiction. A written report of the crime and its circumstances are said to be filed and kept at the Guild of Chains administrative center in Djaw, though it is not available to the public. The Guild theoretically determines the length of enslavement based generally on the severity of the crime, but they have complete authority to decide individual cases as they see fit, and a majority of criminals-turned-slaves
are given lifetime sentences of enslavement.

As stated, the Guild is officially sanctioned by the Royal Court of Djaw, and their charter is signed personally by the Emperor, may he live forever. Among the nobles at court, many have political and financial ties to the Guild, and most own one or more slaves, though there is typically a minority court faction that would prefer the Guild to be dissolved and slavery made illegal.

Regarding Gurund, and dwarvish slaves: the Guild typically purchases around 100 criminals annually from Gurundian authorities and sells them at auction in Djaw. Dwarves are highly sought-after and command higher than average prices, as their quiet and taciturn natures, along with their physical strength and knowledge of various trade skills, make them ideally suited for ownership. Dwarvish slave contracts always run for a full life term, a Guild discretionary decision likely based on maximizing their selling prices.

Should you wish to extend your inquiry, I am at your disposal.

Yours in knowledge,

Ten Twisted Words

10. Seeking more information on the topic, Ernie pays a visit to Yale, advisor to King Crunard IV of Charagan. His wait for the appointment is less than an hour; such is the privilege of a Knight of the Spire Guard.

In a small meeting room in the King’s Palace, high atop a hill in Har Charagan, Ernie explains to Yale that he’d like to find out more about the slave trade.

“And while I and my friends have many talents, we lack diplomatic subtlety. But you must already have representatives over there; can you tell me anything about the Guild of Chains, and the enslavement of dwarves in particular?”

Yale looks down at her hands. “I have seen the preliminary reports,” she says. “The slave trade of Djaw and the surrounding lands, while distasteful, seems completely legal according to all local laws.”

“May I be allowed to speak to your diplomats?” asks Ernie. “I mean, about what they learn of the ins and outs of the slave trade?”

Yale fixes Ernie with a even gaze. “We are disinclined to start pressing that sort of issue with a foreign government, in such early stages of establishing ambassadorial ties. Our diplomats already have extremely complex agendas. But, yes, we will certainly share with you anything we learn on the topic of slavery among the Jewels of the Plains.”

“That will sure be better than having Dranko talk to everyone,” says Ernie.

Yale laughs. “Now there’s a mission we might ask you to undertake for your Kingdom.”

“To stop Dranko from talking?”

“To mitigate the effects therefrom,” says Yale.

“I’ll try,” says Ernie. “But Dranko has certain financial interests in expanding trade in that regard, so I.... er...”

The halfling turns bright red as he stammers to a halt. Yale leans forward.

“Financial interests? Really?”

“I can’t say anymore!” squeaks Ernie.

“I could order you to say,” says Yale quietly.

“Yes,” Ernie acknowledges. “But then I’d be very sad and conflicted.”

Yale chuckles. “We have suspicions, but perhaps they don’t bear looking into at this time. You understand that the Spire Guard, including Dranko, have our full confidence.”

11. Toward the end of the three months, having learned so much and still with many, many questions, Morningstar and Ernie each cast separate communes – Ernie at the Yondallan church in his home of Dingman’s Ferry, and Morningstar at her home temple of Kynder Hold.

Ernie is unable to cast his divination with any privacy. He is a hero of incredible proportion in his tiny home village, and a crowd of novices (along with an assortment of laity) crowd around the temple kitchen to see what it looks like when someone communes with Yondalla.

He casts his spell, and the Goddess is with him.

Is Aravis a divine figure to cats?

YES

In Kivia and Charagan, dogs mourned the death of one from something called the Great Pack. They think he was killed by a shadow. Is the shadow related to the Black Circle?

YES, RELATED

Does the death of the member of the Great Pack mean that Aravis is also in danger from that shadow?

PROBABLY

Does Tor now serve the Delfirians?

YES

Was Tor’s mind altered, or was he otherwise coerced into serving the Delfirians?

YES, ALTERED

Does the spirit of Davarian Firemount now inhabit the body of Thewana?

YES

Do we have the ability to rescue Tor now?

ONLY HIS BODY

Do we have the ability, or know anyone who has the ability, to undo what was done to Tor’s mind?

NOT AT PRESENT

If we attempt to rescue Tor’s body, and hold him in some way, will the Delfirians try to recover him?

ALMOST CERTAINLY

Do we have the ability to deal with Darkeye’s stronghold now?

WITH GREAT DIFFICULTY

Are Darkeye’s actions or plans related to the departure of Drosh, or the death of one of the Great Pack?

NO

Are there Black Circle members still active among the priestesses of Ell?

I DON’T THINK SO

Is Sagiro still alive?

THAT QUESTION CANNOT BE ANSWERED

Does Darkeye know where Sagiro is?

NO

We’re trying to determine what to do next. Of the possible activities: Find Darkeye’s stronghold, investigate Aravis’s visions from the Maze, investigate the death of the Great Pack member, or investigate the Guild of Chains and try to free the Kivian dwarves, is there an action that we should not yet attempt?

THE QUESTION IS TOO VAGUE

Would our rescue of the dwarves enslaved in Djaw be a disastrous distraction from the danger that caused Drosh to flee?

NO

Thank you.

YOU ARE WELCOME. CONTINUE TO DO GOOD WORKS.

His spell complete, Ernie lets in the onlookers They all want to cook as much they can while the spirit of Yondalla lingers.

Morningstar casts her commune later that day, kneeling before the altar in the Ellish fane at Kynder Hold.

Is there a place where a God is buried, on either Kivia or Charagan?

NO

Are Drosh or his followers responsible for guarding the burial area of the Gods?

YES

Are we needed to find the next Guardians of this burial area?

UNKNOWN

Is the dark area on the Kivian map related to where the Gods are buried?

NO

Is the Entity that the Black Circle was calling to in Het Branoi, related to the reason why Drosh is leaving?

YES

Is this the Adversary?

UNKNOWN

Is the dark liquid seen in Aravis’s dream, related to the black liquid we saw where the Slices were being created in Het Branoi?

I CANNOT SEE ARAVIS’S VISIONS

Is the black liquid we encountered in Het Branoi related to the burial area of the Gods?

IT COULD BE USEFUL THERE

Useful to us?

YES

Is Aravis Divine?

YES, IN A SMALL WAY

Is Aravis Divine in the same way as the recently-murdered member of the Great Pack was Divine?

YES

Was the member of the Great Pack who was recently killed a human?

NO

Is the death of the member of the Great Pack related to Drosh leaving?

EXTREMELY TANGENTIALLY

Is Octesian in Charagan?

NO

Is he in Kivia?

YES

Through inattention, we allowed Darkeye’s plot to change time to succeed. Is there a similar plot that we should be attending to now?

UNKNOWN

Is Aravis human?

YES

12. And while all of this is going on, the majority of the Company’s time and effort is spent on making magic items in the Greenhouse basement laboratory. (Dranko also takes the time to find buyers for a number of items the party has outgrown or has no use for.) Between the recently-acquired haul from Dafron’s assassins, and a number of newly-crafted items, the Company comes out significantly upgraded in terms of their enchanted armamentarium.

But it’s inevitable that, when a group of adventurer’s like Abernathy’s Company spends too long avoiding trouble, trouble comes searching them out. With a few days still remaining on their crafting itinerary, Morningstar receives an ominous sending:

This is from Cobb. Bad news. Burglars broke into estates, stole something from basement forbidden room which is now empty. Orders for Cobb?

Morningstar replies: Tell Cobb to leave the area as untouched as possible. We’ll be right over.

She tells the others of this message, as they eat lunch at the Golden Goblet. They all look at one another, and come to the same grim conclusion.

The Null Shadow Cauldron has been taken.

...to be continued...

StevenAC

Explorer
The Null Shadow Cauldron has been taken.
Fortunately, looking back through the collected Story Hour (specifically, the start of chapter 8 of Part Two), I have managed to solve this crime...
Piratecat: We played last night, an "interim" session where we trained (to 17th level!) and cast communes (man, are we in trouble, but it's that vague sort of trouble that means something horrible is coming although you won't be able to identify it until it is possibly too late) and made items. Lots and lots of items. In fact, we spent 235,000 gp in making items -- woot! We're now poor but mighty, festooned with magic gewgaws.

Which is sort of a shame, considering that we ended the game learning that someone stole from us the evil cauldron that summons null shadows…

el-remmen: Jeez, man! I just borrowed it! I'll have it back next Tuesday. That's the last time I borrow an evil artifact from you!
el-remmen... J'accuse! :D

Great update, Sagiro!

Halford

First Post
I am with you Ata! Long may the oodles of updates continue!

I always find the down time updates hugely entertaining and this is certainly no exception. :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The next session? A giant flood of badness, wherein extremely annoying secrets are uncovered and death comes on little null shadow feet. Look for it!

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
The next session? A giant flood of badness, wherein extremely annoying secrets are uncovered and death comes on little null shadow feet. Look for it!

You'll have to wait until the next update for the annoying secrets, but this one sure does have Null Shadows in it!

Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 291
Null and Void

Less than an hour after receiving the sending from Cobb, the Company stands in a tastefully decorated foyer. They have teleported directly to the Cosnor Estate in the Silent Quarter of Kallor. Below them is the former Black Circle headquarters, where the Company prevented Mokad and his fellows from expediting Emperor Naradawk’s arrival in Charagan.

“We could just have Morningstar cast miracle to get the cauldron back,” says Dranko. And the idea has some merit, but is ultimately discarded because it wouldn’t tell them who stole the cauldron, or why. Instead, Morningstar fills all of her empty spell slots with thought captures, and then everyone arms themselves with non-magical weapons (in case the cauldron was used before being stolen) before descending into the basement.

Morningstar casts her thought-gathering prayers every few yards as they go, but none of the thoughts are interesting or illuminating. When they reach the room that once housed the Null Shadow Cauldron, no one is surprised that, in fact, it’s gone. The 20’x20’ room is empty, its darkness entirely non-magical and completely native to the Prime. Only a faint trace of unease remains, the last vestige of the horrible creatures that were once conjured here. There are circular patterns chiseled and gouged into the walls, with flakes of rock scattered on the floor below them, as if someone had hastily pried out some round ornamentations or other wall-mounted objects. Similarly there are three ragged holes in the center of the floor, as if some large object had been bolted to the ground and then ripped out. The stone below where the cauldron had squatted is predictably discolored.

Morningstar casts another thought capture in the doorway to the room while the others wait outside. Nothing. Then she goes to stand next to some of the holes in the wall and casts again. Finally, she gets a thought – and it’s addressed to her!

Hello Morningstar. You had something of mine, so I came to get it. Have fun.

And that’s when the Null Shadows come boiling out of the holes, accompanied by waves of psychic nausea. The five of them completely surround Morningstar and attack, their vaporous arms flailing.

The analytical part of Aravis’s brain (as he stands in the hall looking in) notes that these Null Shadows are different than the previous ones they’ve encountered. Heretofore the shadow creatures have been a flat black, but these are a deep, dark green, as if a sickly jade light were glowing in the center of each roiling smoky mass.

The primal part of his mind is screaming with unreasoning terror.

Morningstar tries to ward them off with her shield, but due to its magical properties, the arms of the Null Shadows go right through it, and indeed, through her, as if each smoggy appendage is reaching into her body and pulling out bits of her life force. She resists in part, but her vitality is slightly reduced, on top of the stinging wounds that leave black smears on her skin.

Despite the horror of the moment, the Ellish priestess retains a smidgen of humor and thinks over the mind-link: “Oh, crap! A Null-Shadow-o-Gram!”

“Morningstar!” shouts Dranko. He immediately activates his boots of haste, moves into the room, and unleashes a flurry of whip-cracks at the closest shadow-creature. With the final snap the monster disperses, leaving a faint haze of sickening green smoke behind.

Grey Wolf runs into the room himself, heedless that his arcane nature makes him a choice target for these creatures. He slashes a mundane longsword at another of the monsters. He thinks he’s wounded it, but its hard to know given the Null Shadows' lack of discernable anatomy.

It gets worse. Another four Null Shadows stream out of the cracks in the walls, bringing their total number to nine. Their gut-twisting wrongness washes over everyone in the party, and Grey Wolf finds himself beset by all four newcomers. Shadow-fists reach into his body and yank out life-force, and not only is he drained of constitution, but spells are forced painfully out of his head.

The rest, with no arcane targets within reach, attack Morningstar and Dranko. Dranko mostly shrugs off the assault, but Morningstar’s knees start to buckle. (She is now down six points of constitution, on top of the significant damage from the monsters’ fists.)

Aravis casts a mass haste on the party; against creatures utterly immune to magic, maximizing weapon-swings seems the best use of his abilities. Flicker tumbles into the room and attacks, while Ernie activates his winged shield and flies in high along the ceiling. Kibi casts a wall of stone that blocks off all of the holes in the walls, in case there are more Null Shadows waiting to emerge. He follows this up with a self-targeted quickened bear’s endurance. His earth elemental familiar Scree is yammering cautionary words over their empathic link.

Kibi, don’t go in there! Those things eat wizards. You’ll be killed!

Morningstar attempts to cast her newly-acquired mass heal for the first time, but cannot muster the concentration for so complex a prayer, surrounded as she is by Null Shadows. With a grunt of frustration she casts an additional quickened cure critical wounds upon herself.

Dranko again executes a deft series of whip-cracks; another Null Shadow is destroyed, and an additional one is (presumably) wounded. Grey Wolf swings his sword again and a third monster is slain.

Seven Null Shadows still remain, and these swarm around Grey Wolf. Five of them are able to attack him, eagerly pummeling such a ripe arcane target. Grey Wolf practically vanishes in a cloud of green-black smoke, twisting in pain as they tear at his essence. By some miracle he stays conscious by the thinnest thread, his exposed skin a mass of dark smears. He drops to one knee, blinking, reeling from the psychic stench, feeling that death cannot be far away. Through bleary eyes he thinks he sees Morningstar and Dranko under attack from the remaining two.

Aravis bestows a dimension door on Pewter, with instructions to rescue Grey Wolf.

“Are you serious?” demands the cat. “In there?! You know, if you weren’t some demigod of Cats, I’d...”

“Just go!” urges Aravis, and the cat does so, weaving in a panic through the Null Shadows and touching Grey Wolf, returning to the relative safety of the hallway.

Flicker and Ernie launch full attacks on the Null Shadows, but with their non-magical short-swords (and in Flicker’s case, inability to sneak attack these creatures), cannot muster the damage to slay even a single one of the remaining enemies. Morningstar activates her magical necklace that makes her immune to attacks of opportunity, and gets herself out of the room in a hurry. Once out she quickens a restoration on herself to restore her decimated life force.

Dranko is the most effective Null Shadow-killing machine in the party: another series of whip strikes, another Null Shadow dispatched. Half a dozen still remain.

Out in the hallway Grey Wolf fumbles out a healing potion and gulps it down. Dranko and Flicker are now in the doorway, blocking access to the hallway where the rest of the party (including all the wizards) are apprehensively waiting...

The Null Shadows vanish, fading away into nothing over a two-second span. Dranko peers around the room with his magical eye-patch.

“Heads up!” he shouts. “They’re gone, and not invisible.”

“It’s possible that their additional strength came at the expense of a shorter lifespan...” says Aravis, though no one really believes that.

Ernie takes advantage of the enemies’ absence to fly into the hallway and cast restoration on Grey Wolf, who despite the potion, really really needs the lift. Morningstar casts mass cure serious wounds, also popular. Aravis casts greater arcane sight and looks around the room and hallway – nothing. Dranko does a quick perimeter of the room while Kibi scoops up some of the flaked rock, thinking he can cast stone tell on the rubble even if they’re forced to flee this place.

Whether the Null Shadows retreated momentarily into the Ethereal Plane, or just shifted briefly into the Plane of Shadow, none can say. But they do reappear, in the hallway, next to the wizards. Kibi is overcome with horror and veritably snowed under with Null Shadows. He can feel the stinging, smeary wounds gouged in his skin, the pain of his six most potent dweomers forced from his head, and life force pulled grotesquely out of his body. In seconds he is reduced from full health to near death.

The remaining two attack Aravis, hungry for his powerful arcane core. As the Company remembers from its previous encounters with Null Shadows, the creatures' physical attacks are much more devastating against wizards than against divine casters and non-magical types.

Flicker and Ernie gamely hack away at the Null Shadows with their vanilla swords, and Ernie gets lucky, landing two hits on one of the monsters that was previously damaged. It deforms into a harmless green cloud. Five monsters remain.

Morningstar casts heal on Kibi, which takes care of the damage but not the ability drain; the dwarf is still dangerously weakened. Aravis has the idea to polymorph into a hill giant, better enabling him to deal damage, and simultaneously improving his fortitude. He has to duck a bit to keep his head from hitting the ceiling. Kibi, at the frantic urging of Scree, casts xorn movement and sinks safely into the ground.

Just stay here and wait it out urges the little elemental. Up there, you’re just a target.

Dranko methodically annihilates another Null Shadow with his whip; now only four remain. It seems like the Company may finally be turning the corner against their ghastly assailants.

One of the remaining Null Shadows attacks the giantish Aravis, and even that is staggering. The remaining three vanish. Everyone looks around frantically. Flicker and Ernie fail to eliminate the one enemy still visible, while Morningstar moves to protect Aravis. Aravis himself rips a nearby door off its hinges and smashes the remaining Null Shadow, destroying it.

The three Null Shadows reappear, all adjacent to Aravis. That turns out to be a crucial tactical problem – with his increased Giantish size, the rest of the party cannot surround him for protection. Grey Wolf and Dranko take readied attacks as the monsters appear, but do not kill them.

And then the three Null Shadows rip out Aravis’s life. Their smoky limbs reach into his oversized giantish body and make a quick, horrific end of the wizard. He reverts to his own body upon death and slumps to the ground, the black smears on his skin so ubiquitous, it looks as though he’s been dipped bodily in tar.

“Aravis! No!” Ernie screams. But his voice is further drowned out by Pewter’s piteous meowing over his master’s death. Kibi, overwhelmed with guilt that he was hiding while Aravis fought on, emerges over Scree’s protests and tries too late to administer a healing potion to his friend. But Aravis’s facial features have been smeared so thoroughly, Kibi can’t even find his mouth.

Morningstar and Flicker, numb at the sight of their slain friend, manage to kill one of the remaining three Null Shadows. Dranko, likewise in shock, kills another with his whip. The last Null Shadow vanishes, and this time, give a few seconds pause, they entirely surround Grey Wolf, while Kibi retreats back into the ground.

The remaining Null Shadow, unable to find a spot to reappear that offers access to an arcane caster, settles for an arrival point next to Morningstar. It doesn’t matter; numerous readied attacks are launched, and Flicker delivers the killing blow.

Pewter continues his caterwauling, and now, in the silence that immediately follows a violent scrum, the party can hear something else. High above them on the streets of Kallor (and indeed throughout all of both Charagan and Kivia), cats everywhere are wailing with grief.

...to be continued...

Last edited:

Remove ads