Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Aravis

First Post
Anyway, what did that message to Morningstar mean?

It meant that someone obviously felt they had property rights to the Null Shadow Cauldron. Our position was that it was clearly abandoned property that was left in the house when we took ownership.

Admittedly, we took ownership by force after killing all of the previous occupants. In our defense, they were really, really bad. Like, coal in the stocking, only a mother could love, even dogs bark at them kind of bad.

Aravis

Halford

First Post
Admittedly, we took ownership by force after killing all of the previous occupants. In our defense, they were really, really bad. Like, coal in the stocking, only a mother could love, even dogs bark at them kind of bad.

This is DND, that is a completely legitimate way to acquire property, and very economical to. :D

Tony Vargas

Legend
Was the Null Shadow Cauldron some kind of hard-to-destroy artifact or something?

Even if it was, wouldn't every caster in the universe want it destroyed? ;)

One thing 3e didn't do was 'fix' the problem of casters dominating at high level. This is an awesome campaign, and very well run, but you'll note, all the PCs are casters, even if multiclassed, like Dranko. That was never unusual, and it does lead even the best DMs to coming up with new challenges, like Null Shadows, specifically to thwart casters.

One of the things 4e got right was ending caster dominance - how well exectuted or desireable that was may debateable, but at least it finally happened.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
This is an awesome campaign, and very well run, but you'll note, all the PCs are casters, even if multiclassed, like Dranko.
Flicker is a single-classed rogue. Oh wait, he's a NPC...

To be fair, this campaign started in 2nd edition when you really wanted to be multi-classed. Dranko would have fewer levels of cleric if we'd started in 3e, mostly for story reasons. (At this point in the campaign Dranko had just hit 17th level, a cleric 5 / rogue 8 / lasher 4 with a wisdom of 14 and a 9 int. He's currently lvl 18, having added one to his rogue level. Sneak attack, baby! It's all about having a fireball in a can with every hit. Not that this helped against the null shadows.)

KidCthulhu

First Post
Flicker is a single-classed rogue. Oh wait, he's a NPC...

To be fair, this campaign started in 2nd edition when you really wanted to be multi-classed. Dranko would have fewer levels of cleric if we'd started in 3e, mostly for story reasons.

Ditto. I don't think I would have put any levels in fighter if we were building these characters in 3e. I would have gone straight cleric, because nothing matches the power of raw 3e cleric.

If we were building them in 4e? I wouldn't have built Ernie. You just can't get the same feel.

KidCthulhu

First Post
:.-(:.-(:.-(:.-(!!!
Good grief, that fight was brutal! Poor Aravis! Poor Pewter! And poor cats! So do Null Shadows ignore magical effects that normally protect from touch attacks, such as mage armor?

Null Shadows are immune to all magic. Magic armor bonuses and spells that increase ACE are nothing to them. Even Mage Armor. If the bonus comes from magic, it doesn't count. Even if the bonus adds to your natural armor. Magic sword? Goes right through them. They don't just ignore the magical bonus. They ignore the item if it has any magic associated with it. Ditto magical armor, rings of deflection, etc.

I know Sagiro posted their stats somewhere, but I don't think he's posted these new and "improved" version.

Have I mentioned we hate Null Shadows?

Aravis

First Post
Was the Null Shadow Cauldron some kind of hard-to-destroy artifact or something?

Even if it was, wouldn't every caster in the universe want it destroyed? ;)
Yes and Yes, unless you own the cauldron, are evil, and have enough chutzpah to believe it will never be taken from you and the Null Shadows turned upon you.

KidCthulhu

First Post
So is Aravis getting the Mrs. Horn treatment, or are you going to just play a very vengeful 'swarm of cats' for a few sessions?

Actually, we were all so depressed about his death that we didn't want to play anymore. The campaign just kind of came to an end around then. We still get together, play board games and such, but it's not the same.

Remove ads