• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Worlds

GreyOne

Explorer
Anyone a fan of Savage Worlds from Pinnacle? I just picked it up and I like it a bunch. I think it's just what I needed.

Acid_crash

First Post
This is a game I soooo want to play but can't get the books where I live for some reason. I ask about special ordering it, but the locals at my FLGS have not a clue as to what I am talking about nor the company Pinnacle so I just shrug my shoulders and pray that someday I will get a card to order it off a website someday.

I got the fastplay rules, I love it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't own the rules, but played it a couple of times at conventions, and like them a lot. If you want a exceptionally rules-light system (not TWERPS, mind you, but still pretty mechanic-low), it fits the bill. Ironically, the only die it does not use out of the basic polyhedrons is a d20. :)

mhensley

First Post
Bought it, played it, didn't like it, sold it.

I think it might be a good easy system for genre's with guns, but fantasy just didn't feel right with SW. YMMV.

Aaron2

Explorer
Henry said:
If you want a exceptionally rules-light system (not TWERPS, mind you, but still pretty mechanic-low), it fits the bill.
From the quick start rules, I found the game to be more rules-medium. Problem for me is that there are plenty of other games at that complexity level already. Some, like BESM, have tons of support.

Aaron

GreyOne

Explorer
Aaron2 said:
From the quick start rules, I found the game to be more rules-medium. Problem for me is that there are plenty of other games at that complexity level already. Some, like BESM, have tons of support

Actually there is tons of support for the line, especially from the fan base. The company itself is pretty small but they still have a very friendly, active and helpful board:

http://savage.lythia.com/

http://www.peginc.com/forum/

http://www.sharkbytes.info/index.html (fantastic and large fanzine)

There are actually two company names: Great White and Pinnacle and they're both in use. Don't know why.

I honestly can't see any genre that couldn't be done with SW.

BluSponge

Explorer
GreyOne said:
Anyone a fan of Savage Worlds from Pinnacle? I just picked it up and I like it a bunch. I think it's just what I needed.

YES! In fact, it's quickly hurtled forward to become one of my favorite games. I've been running a monthly game with it, as well as various one shots, since it's release and it's never failed to impress. I can't recommend it enough!

Now that said, lets clear a few things up. SW is NOT rules-lite. However, the mechanics are basic enough that they get out of your way when you get going. Best way to look at it is that the game is crunchy enough to satisfy players, but lite enough to make the GM's job a breeze. It is definitely paperwork-lite, however. Aside from tracking the PCs abilities, you shouldn't have to spend much time keeping track of anything else in-game.

But the feature I think I like best about SW is just how complete it really is. For my fantasy game, the only mechanical feature I've had to develop to my tastes is the spell library, to which I've added some 20+ powers. Aside from this, and stealing a few Edges and Hindrances from Evernight, the game goes away and I'm free just to work on my world. They say the game was designed for GMs who just don't have the time to devote hours and hours to making the game work, and so far SW has lived up to that promise.

The revised edition is due out in February, so if you don't have the game yet, wait on it. Or, if you find a deal you just can't pass up on the first printing, Pinnacle has posted all the corrections/additions in a pdf on their website. It should take care of you. Or you can just get the pdf of the revised printing now. But I kinda like having a hardcover book. :)

Remove ads