• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saving throws for equipment.

mseds99

First Post
Hi all.

When a player rolls a 1 on a save (for example, against a fireball), the character then starts rolling saves for their equipment. What is the equipments' save bonus? The same as the PC? or does it have it's own save?

thx,
m~

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Whichever is better.

And keep in mind that only a single piece of equipment is affected (see PHB pg.150).

Dimwhit

Explorer
Man, I just lost my Might Comp Longbow last time out. 14th level Rogue with improved evasion against a fireball, and I roll a 1! At least it wasn't magical.

At higher levels, your saves will most likely be better than those of your items. But at lower levels, that's not always the case.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Thanks for the link, kengar.

What strikes me is that the HPs assigned to an item is rather arbitrary. The numbers on table 8-12 (PHB p. 136) makes sense for barriers, but not objects.

For example, rope has hardness 0 and 2 hit points per inch thickness. Suppose I have a 1" thick rope. 2 points to cut through seems reasonable.

But wait... what if I apply 2 points of fire damage to a 50' coil of rope? Is the rope completely "destroyed"? Is it burned through in one place? Maybe it is slightly damaged in two places?

Consider, the example of the Cloak of Resistance in the above link. How do you determine that 4 points destroys the cloak? Maybe it makes a few holes that can be repaired?

I guess my point is that assuming that an object is the same as barrier you are attempting to breach seems inconsistent with the HP system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads