D&D 5E SCAG like cantrips for ranged weapon attacks?

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I'm playing a fighter 1/storm sorcerer X is a pbp. Still level 1, so fighter only, but looking ahead to sorcerer. The DM is open to homebrew. I'm thinking about home brewing a cantrip similar to one of the SCAG cantrips, but for ranged weapons. It seems to me that I've seen a discussion about such an idea here, maybe even with a homebrew cantrip or two, but despite searching, I can't find the thread. So apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

does anyone have advice/warnings/suggestions? I'm thinking of something wind/storm themed.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm playing a fighter 1/storm sorcerer X is a pho. Still level 1, so fighter only, but looking ahead to sorcerer. The DM is open to homebrew. I'm thinking about home brewing a cantrip similar to one of the SCAG cantrips, but for ranged weapons. It seems to me that I've seen a discussion about such an idea here, maybe even with a homebrew cantrip or two, but despite searching, I can't find the thread. So apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

does anyone have advice/warnings/suggestions? I'm thinking of something wind/storm themed.
I've used cantrips like that for one of my characters...let me see if I can dig it up.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/200237/the-Magus-Class

mellored

Legend
Wind shot.
Push 5'
At level 5, add 1d8 damage and push 10'.
2d8 and push 15' at level 11
3d8 at push 20' level 17.

Lightning shot
Deal 1d6 lightning damage to a creature behind the your target.
At level 5, deal 1d6 extra damage to the primary target, and 2d6 to the secondary. Increase to 2d6 and 3d6 at level 11, and 3d6 and 4d6 at level 17.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've made some ranged weapon cantrips. Admittedly I haven't tested them, but they might work for you.

Sehanine’s Bow (cleric)
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: by weapon
Components: V, M (a bow and arrow)
Duration: Instantaneous
You fire an arrow from your bow which bursts into pure radiant energy. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and takes additional radiant damage equal to your spellcasting modifier.
The arrow is consumed when fired.
The spell’s radiant damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (1d6), 11th level (2d6), and 17th level (3d6).

Cobra Shot (sorcerer, wizard)
Conjuration cantrip
You fire an arrow from your bow which becomes coated in venom as this spell takes effect. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and must make a Constitution saving throw or become poisoned until the start of your next turn.
The spell deals an additional 1d6 poison damage at higher levels: 5th level (1d6), 11th level (2d6), and 17th level (3d6).

Crimson Arrow of Cyttorak (sorcerer, wizard)
Transmutation cantrip
You fire an arrow from your bow which transforms into crimson energy once fired. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to the bows normal damage and, if it is Large size or smaller, it is restrained until the start of your next turn as crimson bands of energy entrap it.

Explosive Shot (sorcerer, wizard)
Evocation cantrip
You fire an arrow from your bow which bursts into flame once fired. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and the target and each creature within 5ft takes additional fire damage equal to your spellcasting modifier.
The spell’s fire damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (1d4), 11th level (2d4), and 17th level (3d4).

Flaming Shot (sorcerer, wizard)
Evocation cantrip
You fire an arrow from your bow which bursts into flame once fired. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and takes additional fire damage equal to your spellcasting modifier.
The spell’s fire damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (1d8), 11th level (2d8), and 17th level (3d8).

Freezing Shot (sorcerer, wizard)
Transmutation cantrip
You fire an arrow from your bow which forms into an icicle. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and takes additional cold damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and has its movement speed reduced by 10 feet.
The spell’s cold damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (1d6), 11th level (2d6), and 17th level (3d6).

Multishot (sorcerer, wizard)
Evocation cantrip
Components: V, S, M (a bow and arrow)
You fire an arrow from your bow which splits into bolts of pure force. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers force damage equal to the normal damage from the bow and up to two creatures within 10 feet are struck by a single magic missile dealing 1d4+1 force damage.
The spell creates an additional missile at higher levels: 5th level (3 missiles), 11th level (4 missiles), and 17th level (5 missiles).

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Thanks everyone! This definitely gives me something to work with!

On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and takes additional cold damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and has its movement speed reduced by 10 feet.
The spell’s cold damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (1d6), 11th level (2d6), and 17th level (3d6).

So, at level 5 it does 1d6+spell casting mod? Do I understand that correctly?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Explosive Shot ...and the target and each creature within 5ft takes additional fire damage equal to your spellcasting modifier.
Finally, you can play Torrin & the Heart Bow in Fugitive from the Empire. ;P
(OK, not 'finally' 3.0 had burst weapons...)

Flaming ShotYou fire an arrow from your bow which bursts into flame once fired.
There was a classic spell back in the day called Flame Arrow, that made your allies' arrows burst into flame, it mutated over the editions, to also shoot bolts of flame, split into two spells doing one of each, and finally just kinda disappeared...
...the flame-arrow part could make a fair cantrip, like this one.

That said, it's not like ranged options need more advantages over melee options. ;)

Ganymede81

First Post
All of these seem significantly better than Firebolt.

I can see High Elves salivating over these spells so loudly it sounds like a muted waterfall.

Satyrn

First Post
Freezing Shot (sorcerer, wizard)
Transmutation cantrip
You fire an arrow from your bow which forms into an icicle. As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged weapon attack with a bow against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and takes additional cold damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and has its movement speed reduced by 10 feet.
I'd modify a bunch of these just a little. The bolded bit would just say the weapon attack inflicts cold damage.

As written, it looks like you've got the spell dealing 1d8+Dex+Int + the slow effect. It seems too much.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
All of these seem significantly better than Firebolt.

I can see High Elves salivating over these spells so loudly it sounds like a muted waterfall.
Firebolt uses your Primary casting stat (or Int if you get it from being a high elf.) A small but tangible difference, especially at the higher levels.

That being said, any weapon-attack cantrip should follow the guidelines of Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade and not do more damage directly at 1st level, and extra damage should be splash damage or attached to a conditional rider.

discosoc

First Post
Firebolt uses your Primary casting stat (or Int if you get it from being a high elf.) A small but tangible difference, especially at the higher levels.

That being said, any weapon-attack cantrip should follow the guidelines of Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade and not do more damage directly at 1st level, and extra damage should be splash damage or attached to a conditional rider.

They should also take into consideration the fact that the caster doesn't need to be in melee. Honestly, a lot of these suggestions seem really overpowered.

Remove ads