• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E SCAG like cantrips for ranged weapon attacks?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
They should also take into consideration the fact that the caster doesn't need to be in melee. Honestly, a lot of these suggestions seem really overpowered.
You could make the same point about archery in general in 5e. :)

TwoSix

To my knowledge there is no way to engage in archery with d10's d12's or 2d6's. This is offset by better positioning, and a focus on the most useful stat in the game.
All true. The point I was trying to make is that if you had a cantrip that was an exact duplicate of Greenflame Blade, except it required a ranged attack instead of a melee attack, the only power discrepancy between the two would be the power discrepancy that already exists between ranged attacks and melee. The nature of being a cantrip doesn't make that discrepancy worse.

You could make the same point about archery in general in 5e. :)

That's why SCAG cantrips were nice--they provided a reason for Eldritch Knights/Bladesingers/etc. to be in melee at all, instead of sticking purely to ranged combat.

As a DM I would therefore be loathe to introduce SCAG-like cantrips for ranged weapons. I'd rather just say, "No, magic doesn't work that way."

TwoSix

That's why SCAG cantrips were nice--they provided a reason for Eldritch Knights/Bladesingers/etc. to be in melee at all, instead of sticking purely to ranged combat.

As a DM I would therefore be loathe to introduce SCAG-like cantrips for ranged weapons. I'd rather just say, "No, magic doesn't work that way."
That's fair, and I don't disagree with your reasoning, but doesn't really help fulfill the OP's request. It's a good caution for the DM, of course, but I think "If you allow this cantrip, you'll negate the delicate balance between melee and ranged options for subclasses such as Eldtrich Knight and Bladesinger" is too much pressure to put on a player who just wants a cool trick for their character. :)

Bardbarian

First Post
One I thought of off the top of my head is as follows.
Static Bolt: Make a ranged weapon attack as part of the spell. if the target does not end its turn at least 5 feet away from where it was hit by static bolt it takes an additional 1d6 lightning. Level 5 adds 1d6 to the initial hit and secondary damage. Level 11 add an additional 1d6 to the initial and secondary damage. Level 17 add an additional 1d6 to the initial and secondary damage.

I think two principles to balance the cantrip is that ranged does a reduced damage die and that the secondary need to be situational.
This spell was simply an adaptation of booming blade with the damage reduced from D8 to D6 to account for the range. And choosing the opposite effect from booming blade to make it situational.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Thanks everyone! This definitely gives me something to work with!

So, at level 5 it does 1d6+spell casting mod? Do I understand that correctly?

Yep, that is the idea. The total damage of a 5th level freezing shot from a longbow would be 1d8 + dex mod piercing plus 1d6 + spellcasting mod cold damage.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd modify a bunch of these just a little. The bolded bit would just say the weapon attack inflicts cold damage.

As written, it looks like you've got the spell dealing 1d8+Dex+Int + the slow effect. It seems too much.

It's likely that when I go through and update them that I make that exact change. I never got the chance to test them so if they are overpowered then they would need to be adjusted down.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I'd modify a bunch of these just a little. The bolded bit would just say the weapon attack inflicts cold damage.

As written, it looks like you've got the spell dealing 1d8+Dex+Int + the slow effect. It seems too much.

I wondered about only using spell-casting mod, not dex, too. And maybe shifting all damage to cold. In the end, I'll have to work it out with the DM.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads