• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SCAG Updates and Clarifications

sigfile

Explorer
Of note:

Background: Inheritor (update)
under “equipment”, substitute “any items with which you are proficient” for “any one gaming set or musical instrument with which you are proficient”

I was so not looking forward to having a discussion with the first joker to show up with a first level character, proficient with "Water Vehicles," that decided he owned a fleet of galleys.

Class: Wizard – Bladesinger (clarification)
Only elves and half-elves can become bladesingers. Other races are not allowed without specific campaign documentation.

This line initially did not include "half-elves" as an option. It has been updated.

Race: Rare Elf Subraces (clarification)
Elven characters may choose to select one of the rare elf subraces for roleplay purposes. There are no mechanical benefits or hindrances associated with choosing a rare elf subrace.

I kind of like the challenge of explaining why my hypothetical avariel character can't fly or why my Lythari lost his shapeshifting ability.

Aquatic elves don't get a swim speed. Half-Elven aquatic elves do. Apparently that other half is "Sahaugin."

CapnZapp

Legend
This has been clarified by the admins to mean that, characters which were 4th level or lower as of Nov 3rd, do not get a floating rebuild after reaching 5th level. Only those characters which were already 5th level+ gain said rebuild.

Just adding this quote from Kalani (from the other thread here on the forums). The part about having a cutoff date (Nov 3) isn't (yet) in the doc (just checked).

In addition, the document does not mention (yet) any time limit on the rebuild "offer". Kalani says, and I quote, "My recommendation is for players to perform these rebuilds before their character reaches the next character level".

CapnZapp

Legend
Aquatic elves don't get a swim speed. Half-Elven aquatic elves do. Apparently that other half is "Sahaugin."
Kuo-Toa?
f_smooch.gif

StinkyEttin

First Post
I kind of like the challenge of explaining why my hypothetical avariel character can't fly or why my Lythari lost his shapeshifting ability.

This is easy. Mechanics for aquatic half-elves have been provided by Wizards. Mechanics for aquatic elves have not. :D

If anything, it serves the purpose of hinting at what's to be expected in the near future. Remember that the Oathbreaker was first referenced in the PHB before the DMG came out. I wouldn't be surprised to see aquatic elves appear in the next release. Even if aquatic elves don't seem to make sense in a story about giants, think about the EEPC. I believe that goliaths appeared in there to serve the same purpose that I'm claiming that aquatic elves play in the SCAG.

One of the words in the Season 5 hint was "Froghemoths" after all...

aramis erak

Legend
This is easy. Mechanics for aquatic half-elves have been provided by Wizards. Mechanics for aquatic elves have not. :D

The SCAG & You article mentions the unusual elves can be taken...
"Elven characters may choose to select one of the rare elf subraces for roleplay purposes. There are no mechanical benefits or hindrances associated with choosing a rare elf subrace." (PDF version, page 2)

Which implies that they get only the Elf traits, not the subrace traits, until such time as the race appears in a different book.

Remove ads