• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scary monks! [3.5]

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I was just reading through the pages available on gamingreport.com. Ooh, magic hands, nice! Hand on, adamantite hands!? *Checking text* wow..! So Monks can essentially kick down walls... and break all your weapons... they can probably get through walls of iron... does anyone else find this a little scary (but cool ;))?

Gez

First Post
hong said:
They only ignore hardness, not DR, so they're not as uber as might otherwise be the case.

I thought this was the exact reverse, them ignoring DR but not hardness.

G "Or have you brainfarted?" Z

hong

WotC's bitch
Gez said:

The monk's unarmed strike is treated as adamantine, which means they get to ignore hardness of less than 20.

Oh, and DR of N/adamantine too, yes. But there isn't much with DR like this except golems, IIRC.

Last edited:

mmu1

First Post
The sundering issue never occurred to me... What I did wonder about was their new Flurry of Blows attack progression.

Were monks really that underpowered in 3E that they needed this much of a boost in terms of offense? At 11th level, for example, they get +8/+8/+8/+3 vs. a fighter's +11/+6/+1. Granted, the latter has access to TWF and shield bashes, but all of that takes feats, requires light off-hand weapons and gives a -2 penalty to all attacks...

Xeoble

First Post
Wow, I didn't realize the connotations of Ki Strike:Adamantine. My monk is going to start making his own doors :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Gez said:

This was the way I understood it and I'll certainly use it.

Come on, his fists are still blunt weapons - I would expect the ability to ignore hardness must be for sharp weapons, since they can slice through things of lesser hardness. Being very hard but blunt wouldn't help get through any material.

I was sure that the monk ki fists were "for the purposes of defeating DR considered equivalent to" rather than "his hands turn into magic lawful superhard metal".

Cheers

Numion

First Post
mmu1 said:
The sundering issue never occurred to me... What I did wonder about was their new Flurry of Blows attack progression.

Were monks really that underpowered in 3E that they needed this much of a boost in terms of offense? At 11th level, for example, they get +8/+8/+8/+3 vs. a fighter's +11/+6/+1. Granted, the latter has access to TWF and shield bashes, but all of that takes feats, requires light off-hand weapons and gives a -2 penalty to all attacks...

Yes they were. In our group the monks special move was known as Flurry of Misses :D

ForceUser

Explorer
Yep, we called it flurry of misses too. Monks in 3.0 blossom SUPER late, like 10th level. We've given it several goes and, well, low level 3.0 monks stink. These are welcome changes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads