• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scary monks! [3.5]

Eagle Claw Attack is a nice, but useless feat. It allows a Monk to use his unarmed attacks to sunder weapons. Great. You can sunder with bludgeoning and slashing weapons - the Monk weapon is a bludgeoning one...

Or did I miss another benefit?
The feat doesn`t speak about the unarmed attack changing effective size or so, does it?

Mustrum Ridcully

Haiwatta

Explorer
I thought the monk's unarmed strike is considered a tiny weapon.

From the SRD:
The attacking weapon must be no more than one size category smaller than the weapon attacked

So, isn't eagle claw designed for this to work?
(I don't know the specifics of eagle claw)

Arjen.

Utrecht

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Eagle Claw Attack is a nice, but useless feat. It allows a Monk to use his unarmed attacks to sunder weapons. Great. You can sunder with bludgeoning and slashing weapons - the Monk weapon is a bludgeoning one...

Or did I miss another benefit?
The feat doesn`t speak about the unarmed attack changing effective size or so, does it?

Mustrum Ridcully

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here.... All that I can say that is in order for a monk to be able to sunder with their fists - they NEED Eagle Claw attack.

Now responding to other posters points. Playing a FT4/Monk9 I can unequivicably state that the monk is NOT a front line fighter - however that is not the role it was designed for.

People also are dismissing the Monks saves and other defensive capabilities. A monk has the best chance of making a save and can pretty much guarentee that the first arrow fired at him will miss...... All things to consider.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
frugal said:
* If you're not facing wizards as foes often, I'd rather have Improved Grapple instead of Stunning Fist. My GM is letting my monk make the switch, and the two of us justify it as such: my monk has NEVER made a successful Stunning Fist, but he has successfully grappled once, even with the Attacks of Opportunity.

True. If you are not facing mages don't use stunning fist. You might as well say that mage spells are poor because no one in their right mind would cast hold person on a Cleric.

You make low will opponents make will saves, weak opponents fortitude saves and slow opponents reflex saves.

My monk has saved the party on any number of occasions by simply using his speed and tumble to run straight though the opposition fighters and stunning fist the mage.

PS. If you have 3 attacks per round and you stun the mage, then make an improved graple because of the hit, what opposed grapple roll does the mage get to avoid being grappled. The mage has just lots his ability to act, so can he stop himself being grappled ?

But my problem is, where's the mage? The only time we had a wizard foe directly engaging us during the whole campaign was right after a grell killed my monk (they chose to press onward instead of going back to have him raised ... fatal mistake for all involved).

I'm not really sure at what you're reaching.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads