School in California decides to make elementary school students wear RFIDs *Updated*

reveal said:
Minors may not have as many rights as adults but they do have rights. They have every basic right guaranteed by the US Constitution, provided they are an American citizen. Nowhere does it say "Applies to Adults Only."
It doesn't say that, no...but its what I've seen in practice over the last many years.

reveal

Adventurer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
It doesn't say that, no...but its what I've seen in practice over the last many years.

That doesn't make it right. People may say that to do things like this is "ok" because it's in the child's best interest, but I disagree.

How can things like this be in the childs best interest? How do they learn to be a productive member of society if their movements are tracked? How do they learn personal responsibility if they're not expected to do what is asked of them but only to do things because theyre afraid they could get caught?

reveal said:
That doesn't make it right. People may say that to do things like this is "ok" because it's in the child's best interest, but I disagree.

How can things like this be in the childs best interest? How do they learn to be a productive member of society if their movements are tracked? How do they learn personal responsibility if they're not expected to do what is asked of them but only to do things because theyre afraid they could get caught?

I agree with you that it doesn't make this right. Now, if this was a High School I might agree with it more so...but an elementary school is surprising.

But people have been doing things in a child's best interest for years, whether it really IS in the child's best interest or not. This is something that will always happen, as people always feel that THEY know what's best despite what others might think.

Felix

Explorer
Bah. They're doing this because they don't have the guts to expel the kids who skip class too often.

That, or whap them cross the nuckles when they mess about. Who here's for corporal punishment? AYE!

:)

Crothian

First Post
reveal said:

THings we don't know: what is the drop out rat eof the school? What percentage of the kids skip class? I don't think this is an idea they just came up with out of the blue. MY guess is they have some severe attendance problems that they are trying to solve. Now, the article provided no real information on the background and the reasons leading up to this so who knows what is really happening there.

Crothian

First Post
reveal said:
Minors may not have as many rights as adults but they do have rights. They have every basic right guaranteed by the US Constitution, provided they are an American citizen. Nowhere does it say "Applies to Adults Only."

well, as I recall my Right to Free Speech did not actually apply in the school...neither did my right to bear arms....and the locker searches had to go against my right to privacy.....

so, ya, no t all rights apply to kids.

reveal

Adventurer
Crothian said:
THings we don't know: what is the drop out rat eof the school? What percentage of the kids skip class? I don't think this is an idea they just came up with out of the blue. MY guess is they have some severe attendance problems that they are trying to solve. Now, the article provided no real information on the background and the reasons leading up to this so who knows what is really happening there.

But do any of these reasons make it right to tag children? I know, they're not tagged behind the ear like animals but, essentially, they are tagged.

I don't think it does.

reveal

Adventurer
Crothian said:
well, as I recall my Right to Free Speech did not actually apply in the school...neither did my right to bear arms....and the locker searches had to go against my right to privacy.....

so, ya, no t all rights apply to kids.

Right to Free Speech does exist in schools. A Muslim girl in, I think, Virginia had to sue for her right to wear her headwear after the school said she couldn't because they considered it "gang related." So, while a less-than-stellar example, it does indicate that there is such a thing as Free Speech to be had in schools.

The Right to Bear Arms is not available; you are correct.

A locker search is something that, as I've stated before, is thought to be in the best interest of children but is not in all cases. AFAIK, they do searches when there is reasonable cause. Just as if the police had reasonable cause to search your home they could, given they followed the proper procedures.

Crothian said:
Note that this school is an Elementary school and shouldn't have a dropout rate...

Remove ads