School in California decides to make elementary school students wear RFIDs *Updated*

reveal

Adventurer
BTW, Crothian, thank you, and all who've posted, for being adult and thoughtful in your posts. It's refreshing to see an internet discussion not deteriorate into one big flamewar. :D

Fenris

Adventurer
The main issue here is not the responsiblity of the children but of the school. The school can (and will) be held liable if they do not adequately provide for the safety and security of the children. This includes preventing abductions, unauthorized adult pick ups, as well as fire and earthquake safety. The school is held responsible so the school is trying something new to aid it. Whether it is right or not will be determined. Nothing in the article mentioned anything about absentism. But on that note, the school is also held accountable for the students attendance. Not only does the school lose money due to truancies, they can be subject to a whole host of punitive sanctions if their attendance numbers aren't high enough. Not to mention the impact excessive absence has on the almighty test score.

All of you who have complained and said you wouldn't let your child be tagged are great. And are all (or will be) very good parents. The problem is, is that not every one is. There are parents that dump their children off at school barely stopping long enough for them to get out. Schools are put in the very awkward dilemia of being responsible completely for a child during (and actually before and after school if the child in on school grounds) the school day, but having very few options to ensure or enforce it. These are unfortunately less safe times than many of us grew up in. This amy be an over-reaction to it but at least they are trying to keep the kids safe.

Crothian said:
but they do......
Just re-read the article...it doesn't say they have a drop out rate(though I may have missed that, of course).

Though this school goes up to at least 8th Grade(as 7th and 8th graders are the ones being 'tracked'). Still, you cannot technically drop out of school until the age of 16. This kind of thing would make more sense in a High School. Either people are insanely paranoid over there or that's a hell of a dangerous Elementary school.

Crothian

First Post
reveal said:
A locker search is something that, as I've stated before, is thought to be in the best interest of children

and this is why they are tagging them, I bet it is "for the best interest of the children". but again we don't know.

reveal

Adventurer
Crothian said:
and this is why they are tagging them, I bet it is "for the best interest of the children". but again we don't know.

I'm sure they think it's for the best interest of the children but that does not mean it's the right thing to do.

Crothian

First Post
reveal said:
I'm sure they think it's for the best interest of the children but that does not mean it's the right thing to do.

not our call. I'm just saying they have to have reasons and until we know what they are and what the situation actually is we are just blowing smoke.

reveal

Adventurer
Crothian said:

You are right in stating that we do not know all the facts. But, do we really need to know all the facts in this case?

I guess, to me, history has shown time and again that, regardless of circumstances, ideas such as this have the tendency to lead to massive abuses of power and the restriction of rights usually afforded to individuals, regardless of age.

Crothian

First Post
reveal said:
You are right in stating that we do not know all the facts. But, do we really need to know all the facts in this case?

I guess, to me, history has shown time and again that, regardless of circumstances, ideas such as this have the tendency to lead to massive abuses of power and the restriction of rights usually afforded to individuals, regardless of age.

yes we need to know the facts. As you said they have a "tendency" for abuse....not that they always lead to abuse. Besides, this will probably be challenged in the court of law. If it gets past all the appeals and crap and is help up by the Superium Court, then you be worried about Big Brother.

Personally, I don't think the worst of situations as soon as I hear them. I want facts, I want reasons, I want to hear from the people doing this. Then when I can make an educated analysis of the situation I will, until then I'm not going to be worried about it or get all mad about it.

Remove ads