• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

School of Adventuring

Krieg

First Post
PA said:
Creeepy. :confused: There should be a human head on the wall of most schools, then. :]
...of course the head has to be enchanted so that it can lecture the students about not making the same mistakes it's former owner did! ;)

Invictikore

First Post
Tuzenbach said:
NICE! Your idea I'm officially stealing! It's always great to have physical, interactive props that the players can connect with.

But tell me, you didn't really come up with a bunch of musty tomes, did you?

;~D

Hey that's my idea, just joking :p . It worked really great, and they liked it. Once I put something on the board I would write up a small paragraph of ideas behind it, and keep them in my notes. Make sure one of the post is for your cities guard (basic Army recriuter stuff)... It gives your players allot of freedom, which I found helpful in the beginning.

Unfortunately I don't have the wall of musty tomes... :\
But I do have 8 bookshelves of moderately age books... :D

Last edited:

PA

First Post
Krieg said:
...of course the head has to be enchanted so that it can lecture the students about not making the same mistakes it's former owner did! ;)

That's pretty cool actually. :D

Invictikore

First Post
Krieg said:

Great idea!!! Actually have a head for each class, (fighter, mage, rogue, etc.)I could just see them on a circular stiarcase.....

PA

First Post
Invictikore said:
Great idea!!! Actually have a head for each class, (fighter, mage, rogue, etc.)I could just see them on a circular stiarcase.....

... still arguing with one another.

MDSnowman

First Post
Rogue: What can it hurt you said....
Fighter: What are they ever going to do with our severed heads you said...
Wizard: What are the chances we're going to have our heads cut off in the first place you said...
Cleric: Will you guys let it go, it's been 20 bloody years, I didn't know they were sending us off the fight a Blackguard with a Vorpal Sword!!

Thief of Always

First Post
That minotaur head is a great idea...I think I might have to use that in my game...

Here's what I've come up with so far...

-----

The name of the school is Ashram Adventuring Academy. It's located on a demiplane that is a planar hub. Ashram is located in the city of Alkaran, which was built around Ashram two hundred years ago (the school itself is roughly three hundred fifty years young). Alkaran is populated by planar travelers, merchants, and Ashram alumni.

Ashram is a circular building, built around what is known as the Well of Worlds, which is a well with passages that connect it to several different planes of existence through small waterways. The Well of Worlds is located underneath the main office of Ashram and is guarded day and night year round by golems and gargoyles. Ashram also has an arena for assemblies and tournaments and a theatre for plays and performances.

Ashram has an overwhelming library, with thousands of tomes in their collection. The library is also equipped with globes of different planes, crystal balls, and mimirs you can conference with.

Classes at Ashram are organized into different schools, which are actually just different wings inside the building. The schools all have something in common and are headed by their own principal (an overall dean, who is actually Redalla Ashram, the great-granddaughter of the founder of the school, oversees everything in Ashram). The schools and their respective classes are:

School of Acting
Comedy
Drama
Poetry
Speech
Storytelling
School of Arcana
Abjuration
Applied Spell Mechanics
Conjuration
Divination
Enchantment
Evocation
Perspective Studies
Spellcraft
Transmutation
Shool of Architecture
Architecture
Dungeoneering
Engineering
Masonry
School of Art
Applied Art
Ceramics
Classical Literature
Contemporary Literature
Painting
Sculpture
Writing
School of Cosmology
Inner Planes
Outer Planes
Planar Sociology
Planar Studies
Transverse Planes
School of Culture
Celestial Linguistics
Draconic Linguistics
Dwarven Linguistics
Dwarven Society
Elven Linguistics
Elven Society
Gnome Society
Halfling Society
Human Civilization
Infernal Linguistics
Orc Society
Trade Linguistics
School of Discipline
Burning Hand Studies
Empty Hand Studies
Foot & Hand Studies
Gentle Hand Studies
Striking Hand Studies
School of Exploration
Cartography
Navigation
Oceanography
Sailing
School of Faith
Divine Research
Elemental Domain Studies
Religion
Transcendant Domain Studies
Transverse Domain Studies
School of Mercantilism
Armorsmithing
Bookkeepings
Leatherworking
Locksmithing
Shopkeeping
Weaponsmithing
School of Music
Composition
Keyed Instrumental
Melody
Percussion Instrumental
String Instrumental
School of Nature
Desert Studies
Forest Studies
Grassland Studies
Mountain Studies
Ocean Studies
Tropic Studies
Tundra Studies
School of Physical Science
Alchemy
Anatomy
Mathematics
Physics
Zoology
School of Social Science
Government
History
Law
Psychology
Sociology
School of Strategy
Archery
Calvary
Ferocity
Tactics
School of Survival
Healing
Stealth
Sufficiency
Trapmaking
School of Thought
Applied Theory
Philosophy
Metaphysics
School of Wonder
Lucid Dreaming
Medium Research

{Most of the classes are self-explanatory, but I'll explain a little about some of them.
Applied Spell Mechanics is essentially a 'make your own spell' class. It focuses on the process of spell creation.
Perspective Studies has students looking at certain kinds of magic from a certain perspective. Essentially, this class teaches such magic as necromancy from a 'safe' perspective.
Applied Art is a drawing class.
The School of Culture's linguistics classes are divided by alphabets, not languages.
Trade Linguistics basically teaches the in's and out's of communication between traders.
The School of Discipline's classes are generic names of the martial arts we know.
Divine Research is similar to Applied Spell Mechanics, except it works with Divine Magic.
Elemental Domain Studies teaches about domains that have to deal with the traditional elements.
Transcendant Domain Studies teaches about domains that have to deal with alignment.
Transverse Domain Studies teaches about domains that don't have direct connections to alignment or elements.
Melody is a singing class.
Ferocity teaches warriors how to channel their rage into power.
Medium Research teaches how to ghost ride (as from the Ghostwalk setting).
}

The schools at Ashram are all located on the first floor, with the exception of a few. Student dorms and teacher offices are located upstairs on the second and third floors.
The dorms are separated into houses, which are actually different wings (much like the schools at Ashram). There are twenty six houses, and each house has a mascot. With the exception of X and Q, each letter of the basic alphabet is represented. Each house also has a leader, who is most likely a student who has the longest attendence at Ashram at that point.

To pay for tuition costs, Ashram sends their students out on adventures. Portions of the wealth made by students this way go to their tuition payments, although all of the reputation is upheld by the students themselves. Usually, Ashram sends a dorm house altogether on an adventure, but students have the choice whether or not they wish to participate.

-----

If it seems that I have missed something, please let me know. I realized while typing this that I've neglected to add a magic item creation class, but I can fix that in later.

Remove ads