• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Science Question: Decapitating Conifers

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The top 3'-5' of a mature pine can't be significantly more difficult to cut off than a branch off of a large oak

Your typical X-mas tree is more in the 5 to 8 foot range, I expect.

A tree surgeon is not worried so much about the condition of the branch when it reaches the ground. They're also not expecting that they have to haul it away and have it stay in esthetically pleasing condition. And they aren't expecting to haul them away in volume, such that the operation is economically viable.

My local tree surgeons use the same sort of vehicle that electrical power, cable TV, and phone companies use for working on lines - and those things are not significantly off-road viable.

And, anyway, as people have noted - these days the trees are farmed. I've not seen anyone come up with data suggesting that what they're doing these days isn't sustainable, or even ecologically unfriendly.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Your typical X-mas tree is more in the 5 to 8 foot range, I expect.

A tree surgeon is not worried so much about the condition of the branch when it reaches the ground. They're also not expecting that they have to haul it away and have it stay in esthetically pleasing condition. And they aren't expecting to haul them away in volume, such that the operation is economically viable.

My local tree surgeons use the same sort of vehicle that electrical power, cable TV, and phone companies use for working on lines - and those things are not significantly off-road viable.

And, anyway, as people have noted - these days the trees are farmed. I've not seen anyone come up with data suggesting that what they're doing these days isn't sustainable, or even ecologically unfriendly.

Good points all.

On the size of the trees, though- a personal observation of mine is that many people seem to buy more tree than they can fit in their intended space...usually resulting in many "adjustments" being made to keep the things from whacking into the ceiling...or the fans on it.

ethandrew

First Post
There actually is merit to cutting off the top of mature evergreens. It's been a while since I played a botanist in college, but there can be a build up of certain enzymes that almost prohibit full growth. It's easily identifiable in trees that need this as they look like healthy trees except for the last few feet at the top are bare and can droop like a candy cane. In these cases you cut off the top, get rid of that super-concentration of those enzymes and it helps the tree with a new uniform growth.

However this isn't really the case if you're talking about a 10' tree and you lop off the top half of it.

Fenris

Adventurer
Well, how about an actual botanist chime in here? ;)

If you cut the top of any plant off, you remove the apical meristem. The meristem is the source of all growth, and the apilca meristem is responsible for upward growth. It also suppresses the other axillary meristem. So when the apical meristem is cut off, the other meristems can grow.

This leads to more lateral growth. It is a very common practice to cut the top of any plant off to reduce its upward growth and make it grow more bushy and thick.

As to whether it will die depends on a number of factors, but mainly how many branches with leaves (or needles in this case) are left on the tree. Too few needles and yes the tree will die, it has no way to make food. The other problem is that you just opened a huge hole in the tree's skin, so it is vulernable to viruses, bacteria and fungus invading the tissues of the tree.

But yes, the tree could live.

However, the noble and douglas firs that are usually used as christmas trees are heavily shaped as they grow, and that would be hard to do 80ft up. Also on such a tall tree the branch spacing woulf be much greater and it wouldn;t look much like a christmas tree.

Worst, even though you may save the tree, youare removing the habitat for lots of insects, birds and small mammals by taking the top of the tree. So a farmed tree may actually be better in the long run, especially if you mulch it yourself or have it recycled at the end of the holdiays.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, how about an actual botanist chime in here? ;)

Thanks! Great to have you on board!
Worst, even though you may save the tree, youare removing the habitat for lots of insects, birds and small mammals by taking the top of the tree. So a farmed tree may actually be better in the long run, especially if you mulch it yourself or have it recycled at the end of the holdiays.

OK, now this puzzles me.

Are you saying that the top of the tree has the most biodiverse ecosystem on the entire tree?

Or are you saying that the top 5' of a wild tree has more biodiversity than a whole 5' farm tree?

Fenris

Adventurer
Thanks! Great to have you on board!

OK, now this puzzles me.

Are you saying that the top of the tree has the most biodiverse ecosystem on the entire tree?

Or are you saying that the top 5' of a wild tree has more biodiversity than a whole 5' farm tree?

Well, to a degree. The canopy of the tree certainly had the most biodiversity, both in species richness and species diversity. Far more than the trunk, which is really just dead xylem holding up the leaves higher. But yes, by and large the top 5' of a wild tree has more biodiversity than a 5 ft farmed tree. The 5 ft farmed tree doesnt really protect against predators now does it.

But it has also been shown it is the maturity of the tree, so called old growth, that supports the most biodiversity. So leaving a tree longer anywhere, leads to more biodiversity, but that diveristy is in the canopy, so continually cutting the canopy off negates the biodiversity benefits of old growth.

Impeesa

Explorer
Though others have already answered quite satisfactorily, I can confirm this with first-hand experience. One year we got a tree from somewhere out in the back yard, selecting a nice 8' or so pine. It was just a bit tall, so we left maybe half a foot of stump and the lowest ring of branches, figuring it might survive. It did indeed, the branches grew out into sort of a large shrub shape.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads