D&D 3E/3.5 Scientific names

abe ray

Explorer
For gully dwarfs how about homo stinkus digius & for pixsy dragons how about Draco minimus?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You don't need homo in the gnome scientific names- gnomus happens to be the actual Latin from which we get gnome, and thus is the counterpart for homo which means man or human.

Pixie dragons would be Draco feia.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Again, "homo" refers to humans, which orcs aren't. Just keep thinking "No homo!", but in a Latinate way.

How about a nod back to old-school "piggish" depictions of Orcs, and call them Phacochoerus (the genus name for warthogs) sapiens?

Or if you want them to be a member of the goblin species, Cobalus (goblin) Phacochoerus, making them the "warthog-like goblins".

Last edited:

abe ray

Explorer
Sorry, Latin isn't my mother toungue so I tend to think homo when I think of huminoids, by the way did you know about the "hobbit" people found in new Zeland?

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, Latin isn't my mother toungue so I tend to think homo when I think of huminoids, by the way did you know about the "hobbit" people found in new Zeland?

Latin isn't mine either- I'm not quite THAT old!

And yes, I heard of them. Looked them up, and didn't see anything we could use here.

Hmmmm...

Standard halflings/Hobbits: Brevisidae Pilosiped (short, hairy footed)
Kender: Brevisidae Cleptarius (short, thieving)*

* some academicians disagree, and consider kender to be a species of gnome, and call them Gnomus Cleptarius

Remove ads