SciFi channel to become.. SyFy channel

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah but you're forgetting one of the top network exectutive ass-umptions: Viewers Are Morons. So they'd never use that.

Though I'd say the executives and even the marketing people are the morons, so would never understand this, let alone come up with it.

Ah-ah-ahhhh!

One day, I may BE one of those marketing people- I've an MBA in it, after all and I'm currently on a job hunt in the field.

So, I'd say "...some of the marketing people" instead.

Like the guys who came up with "The Peopleclick Fairy."

Cytiva Talent Management Blog: Cytiva Shines at SHRM Conference
I spoke to many on the expo floor that were completely creeped out by the PeopleClick fairy. Imagine Danny Divito (minus the sense of humor and warmth) in a pink fairly costume screaming at passers by. Not sure of the thinking behind that one.
reCareered: What I Learned at SHRM
Finally, I learned that the worst job on the planet is owned by the hairy guy who dressed in the pink fairy suit to be a booth babe for PeopleClick. They can’t pay this poor guy enough…
[DSCN0319.JPG]

(I had a buddy who worked at Peopleclick at the time, and he was so mortified he quit shortly thereafter...fortunately for a better job!)

frankthedm

First Post
Ah but you're forgetting one of the top network exectutive ass-umptions: Viewers Are Morons. So they'd never use that.

Though I'd say the executives and even the marketing people are the morons, so would never understand this, let alone come up with it.
Maybe I am giving them too much credit, but...

frankthedm said:
2nd February 2009, 07:52 PM

I hardly think it is a secret Sci fi is making it's content mind numbingly bad in hopes of brain damaging their core audience. It is like in an attempt to make us more susceptible to Badvertising and to render us too Stoopid! to change the channel, they are creating the TV movie version of the Vacuous Grimoire

SyFy Channel "Our target audience IQ is rollable on a d20"

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am fine with it. If I search for a show on the network in a search engine like hulu or itunes, it sure is helpful if they use a trademarked name as opposed to a descriptive name that gets me tons of results outside of what I was looking for.

As the world grows closer towards feeding TV shows through the net, having a trademarkable name will become much more important. Better to do it now rather than later.

Orius

Legend
Ah-ah-ahhhh!

One day, I may BE one of those marketing people- I've an MBA in it, after all and I'm currently on a job hunt in the field.

So, I'd say "...some of the marketing people" instead.

Like the guys who came up with "The Peopleclick Fairy."

I'd be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this matter and guess that you'd show a bit more creativity than some of the ads that pop up.

My current least favorite: "That's the money you could be saving with Geico". I HATE when those stupid ads come up. The gecko's ok, and the cavemen were ok until ABC ruined them with that pitiful excuse for a sitcom, but these commercials are just DUMB.

I don't care about the name of the station to be honest as long as they keep quality programming on the air.

You just had to open that 55 gallon drum of worms, didn't you? :p A lot of people snark about how bad the programming on the network is, and not only angry Farscape fans these days either. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My current least favorite: "That's the money you could be saving with Geico". I HATE when those stupid ads come up. The gecko's ok, and the cavemen were ok until ABC ruined them with that pitiful excuse for a sitcom, but these commercials are just DUMB.
QFT.

Odd side note- a few months ago, I was in a Barnes & Nobles music section and the guy helping me was the spitting image of a Geico caveman. I don't know if the guy was just unfortunate, or if someone was doing a commercial (or Candid Camera experiment), but I at least managed to keep my jaw from hitting the floor in shock.
You just had to open that 55 gallon drum of worms, didn't you? :p A lot of people snark about how bad the programming on the network is, and not only angry Farscape fans these days either. ;)

Its a mixed bag, to be sure. I just wish they'd buy...er..."make" better movies and ditch the wrestling.

Remove ads