• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scimitar

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Cadfan said:
Making it High Crit and +3 to attack would make it superior to the longsword for anyone fighting with a one handed weapon.

Okay, first response that has satisfied me, thanks – have a good one people.

Boarstorm

First Post
SteelyDan said:
I repeat:

So, the vibe I'm getting, is that the scimitar is only good for en epic level halfling with a certain feat…?

No, it's good at epic level, OR if you're a halfling OR a ranger OR have that certain feat.

That's quite a bit of utility for a single weapon.

If you make it +3 proficiency, it's clearly better than its alternatives and thus broken.

Fine as written.

Cadfan said:
High crit is better than versatile. Versatile almost doesn't count as a bonus, because you aren't going to be switching back and forth.

I don't think high crit is worth as much as +1 attack, though.

But I can't think of anything else to add. Making it High Crit and +3 to attack would make it superior to the longsword for anyone fighting with a one handed weapon. That probably isn't a good idea. Making it 1d10 and high crit makes it superior to the ax. It seems like it should just stay at +2, 1d8, high crit.

So... at least it comes with a snazzy feat that isn't available to the longsword. It seems close enough to balanced to accept.
I think reducing the damage to 1d6 should do the trick. (Like in 3E). Getting to hit with a power that offers secondary effects (control/debuff effects) is more important then dealing 1-3 more points of damage on average. At least that's my opinion.

I consider creating a Dragonborn Warlord for a converted campaign, and I wanted to pick the Scimitar, but the lower profiency penalty makes me reconsider that. But I still prefer it due to flavour reasons, so I might do it anyway...

Cadfan

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I think reducing the damage to 1d6 should do the trick. (Like in 3E).
A +3, 1d6, high crit weapon would be balanced. That's basically the Katar.

But a +2, 1d8, high crit weapon seems within the realm of reason.

Personally, I permit weapon reskinning. If you really want the stats of a longsword and the vision of a scimitar, just ask. I might not permit you access to scimitar specific feats though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Steely Dan said:
Are you trying to be insulting?

Don't try it; I'm better at this than you.

How about this - don't you try it either. Nobody try it.

If you have a problem with another poster, opening up on them with a big fat ego is not an acceptable answer. We have a "report a post" function to deal with problems.

So, I don't want to see any more of this schoolyard posturing stuff from anyone in the thread. If you want to get rude, do it elsewhere.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I consider creating a Dragonborn Warlord for a converted campaign, and I wanted to pick the Scimitar, but the lower profiency penalty makes me reconsider that. But I still prefer it due to flavour reasons, so I might do it anyway...

Mustrum,

Didn't you get the memo? It's impossible in 4e to build a sub-optimal character that makes any decisions for flavor reasons! :D

Nightchilde-2 said:
Mustrum,

Didn't you get the memo? It's impossible in 4e to build a sub-optimal character that makes any decisions for flavor reasons! :D
Ah, so then, Scimitar it is then! Since I can't make sub-optimal character due to flavor reasons, he obviously isn't sub-optimal. ;)

Obryn

Hero
If Scimitar were versatile, my player's Gnome Ranger wouldn't have any 1d8 weapons to twin-strike with.

I know he, for one, is happy with the scimitar the way it is. :) I'm happy with it too, because now I can mock him for Drizzt-ing out his gnome. No need for an extra +1 to hit, it's fine as-is.

-O

Remove ads