• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

scoop: 4e gamma world

Scribble

First Post
I'm great with randomness (I think it adds a lot of fun).

I am not so great with paying for randomness (I think it adds a lot of frustration).

If I don't know what my dollar is going to buy me, I am not going to buy it. An RPG, for me, is normally about a shared narrative, and if those narrative elements are randomized based on someone's ability to shell out for them, then it moves narrative control from the DM, to whoever at the table has the most disposable income.

My guess is that the players won't collect the card packs in order to boost their personal decks.

I'm thinking the "deck" will be a communal thing, and rather then roll on a chart to discover new mutations and tech, the players will just draw from the pile.

Kind of neat in a way as it allows you to add in new mutations and stuff without having to re-do an entire chart.

So the randomness won't be based on anyone's ability to pay for anything, it will be the same as it ever was, just instead of rolling you draw.

This probably is a way for them to continue to support smaller run games like this, where the fan base wouldn't be large enough to support continuously printing new books.

scourger

Explorer
I'm still interested in seeing it. I've had a lot of fun with Gamma World over the years. My favorite iterations used the Omega Worlds rules with earlier modules: played Legion of Gold and ran the Alternity adventures with Omega World rules. So, I'm looking forward to seeing if WOTC can do something good with this new version. The idea of cards & counters doesn't bother me per se, but I do prefer it to be limited to a core game and/or expansions. But, I will see what they publish and then decide if it is for me. It's still exciting, though.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm thinking the "deck" will be a communal thing, and rather then roll on a chart to discover new mutations and tech, the players will just draw from the pile.

If this is the case, then, to me, the key difference is that the chart doesn't vary in length depending on how much I've spent on the book containing it.

"Pay another $10 to get access to the full chart!" doesn't fly with me.

I get that it flies okay with others, which is fine, but in such a situation I am more likely to say "OR, I could pay NOTHING, and go do something else with my time."

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Or, you could wait until you know the details before flying off the handle about it.

LiveBlogging: Dungeons & Dragons Experience 2010 (DDXP) : Geek's Dream Girl

It's still early yet, but it looks to me like the deck buying is entirely optional.

Jay

That has nothing to do with the issue.

When you tell gamers that they have to buy randomized boosters for your addons, you're telling them "Go screw yourselves, and give us your money while you do so."

Randomized boosters add nothing to the game. Having to fork over cash for a chance to get something doesn't make the game more fun. It's just a cheap and hilariously obvious cash grab.

Screw that.

Kez Darksun

Explorer
Seeing the cards priced at $4 for 8 cards in a 120 card set has pretty much sold me on looking at various card resellers online to price out a complete set before I even think about shelling out for random boosters.

Turtlejay

First Post
That has nothing to do with the issue.

When you tell gamers that they have to buy randomized boosters for your addons, you're telling them "Go screw yourselves, and give us your money while you do so."

Randomized boosters add nothing to the game. Having to fork over cash for a chance to get something doesn't make the game more fun. It's just a cheap and hilariously obvious cash grab.

Screw that.

Nobody is shoving their hand in your pocket and taking your money. The game comes with a deck of cards. If that is as much as you want to spend on the game, *it will work just fine as is*. Read the transcript, it is plain as day. For those that are completists or rabid fans, they are selling the option of having more. It is an **option**!

What is hilarious is your outrage about a board game that won't be released for nine months, and about which we know next to nothing.

Jay

darjr

I crit!
I dunno. The cards sound like a cool mechanic. I probably won't collect, cause I'm not really a collector, but I might buy some.

As far as cards, not a big deal, I own a set of Pegleg Pete's Deck of royal Rogues for Savage Worlds and the serpent cards provide a little something like jokers.

Oh... and any WotC folks reading... are the podcasts going into the feed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads