Scotley's Tomb of Horror's 3.5 is full again.

Scotley

Hero
So can we buy something with that extra 3000g before we head out to meet them?

Sure, go shopping. I have somehow missed the strongarm bracers. That's pretty potent. I like the animae over-sized weapon look. It was the song of the heart feat that hadn't seen before.

Arkhandus

First Post
I thought you were only looking for 2 new PCs? But if you're accepting a third, I'll have something posted later today. Tococh would be terribly redundant with the halfling around, so I had to think for quite a while on what would actually be useful instead. I wound up starting on a gnome sorcerer, with a mix of spells.

Scotley

Hero
I had intended only two, but it didn't really seem fair to leave you out under the circumstances. Gnome sorcerer could be cool.

Arkhandus

First Post
The gnome is coming. Be afraid. ^_^

Grackle's background includes mention that he encountered Jillian a while back, and has been following her around for a little while since then in the search for treasure or other goodies.

[sblock=Details]Grackle "Grubeater" Granitetop...Male Rock Gnome, XP: 36,095
Strength..........8 (-1).......Character Level: 9, Sorcerer 9
Dexterity........18 (+4).....Small, Speed 20 ft.
Constitution....16 (+3).....Initiative: +4, BAB: +4, Grapple: -1
Intelligence.....12 (+1).....Melee: +4, Ranged: +9
Wisdom..........9 (-1)........Total HP: 57, Current HP: 57, Nonlethal: 0
Charisma........18 (+4).....Fortitude: +6, Reflex: +7/+9, Will: +5

Normal AC: 16 (+4 Dex, +1 size, +1 deflection), Touch AC: 16, Flat-Footed AC: 12
Alignment: Chaotic Good (CN tendencies), Age 52, Height 3'-1", Weight 41 lbs.
Brown Skin, Steel Blue Eyes, Wild Blonde Hair

Attacks:
Dagger +4 melee for 1d3-1 damage
Dagger +9 ranged for 1d3-1 damage (10 ft. increment, 50 max)
Light crossbow +9 ranged for 1d6 damage (80 ft. increment, 800 max)
Ray of Enfeeblement +9 ranged touch for 1d6+4 Str damage (45 ft.)
Acid Arrow +9 ranged touch for 2d4 acid damage, damage repeats 3 rounds (760 ft.)
Scorching Ray +9/+9 ranged touch for 4d6 fire damage (45 ft.)

Languages (Literate): Common, Gnome, Dwarven, Terran.
Proficiencies: Simple weapons.
Level Progression Feats: Spell Focus (Evocation), Spell Focus (Conjuration), Spell Penetration, Augment Summoning.

Skills: Bluff +9 (5 ranks, +4 Cha), Concentration +15 (12 ranks, +3 Con), Craft (Alchemy) +4 (1 rank, +1 Int, +2 racial), Knowledge (Arcana) +10 (9 ranks, +1 Int), Speak Language (1 rank cross-class, Terran), Spellcraft +10 (7 ranks, +1 Int, +2 synergy).

Racial Traits: Small humanoid (gnome), base Speed 20 feet, +2 Constitution, -2 Strength, low-light vision x2, weapon familiarity with the gnome hooked hammer, +2 on saves against illusions, +1 to illusion spell save DCs, +1 on attack rolls versus kobolds and goblinoids, +4 dodge AC versus giants, +2 Listen, +2 Craft (Alchemy), spell-like abilities (Speak with Animals 1/day for 1 minute with burrowing mammals only, Dancing Lights 1/day, Ghost Sound 1/day, Prestidigitation 1/day, 1st-level caster, save DC 14), bard is favored class.
Ability Score Development: 33 point buy, for base scores of 10 (2 pts), 16 (10 pts), 14 (6 pts), 12 (4 pts), 9 (1 pt), and 16 (10 pts). Gnome ability adjustments result in scores of 8, 16, 16, 12, 9, and 16. Increased Charisma at 4th-level to 17, and at 8th-level to 18. Gloves of Dexterity increase Dexterity to 18.
Familiar: Summoned a weasel familiar he calls Admiral Shplictonshtein Fuzzington the Third (Tiny magical beast, 28 hp, 9 effective hit dice, grants him +2 Reflex within 1 mile and Alertness within arm's reach).

Sorcerer Spells: Casts spontaneous arcane spells, caster level of 9, spellcasting is based on Charisma, 6 0-level spells/day, 7 1st-level spells/day, 7 2nd-level spells/day, 7 3rd-level spells/day, 5 4th-level spells/day.
0-Level Spells (save DC 14, Conj/Evoc/Illus DC 15): Resistance (Abjur), Detect Magic (Div), Detect Poison (Div), Read Magic (Div), Light (Evoc), Mage Hand (Trans), Mending (Trans), Message (Trans).
1st-Level Spells (save DC 15, Conj/Evoc/Illus DC 16): Shield (Abjur), Mage Armor (Conj), Magic Missile (Evoc), Color Spray (Illus), Ray of Enfeeblement (Necro).
2nd-Level Spells (save DC 16, Conj/Evoc/Illus DC 17): Resist Energy (Abjur), Acid Arrow (Conj), Glitterdust (Conj), Scorching Ray (Evoc).
3rd-Level Spells (save DC 17, Conj/Evoc/Illus DC 18): Stinking Cloud (Conj), Suggestion (Ench), Fireball (Evoc).
4th-Level Spells (save DC 18, Conj/Evoc/Illus DC 19): Summon Monster IV (Conj), Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (Evoc).

Possessions: Small Dagger (2 gp, 1/2 lb.), Dart (5 sp, 1/4 lb.), Small Light Crossbow (35 gp, 2 lbs.), 20 Small Bolts (2 gp, 1 lb.), Gloves of Dexterity (4,000 gp, +2 Dexterity enhancement), Ring of Protection (2,000 gp, +1 deflection AC), Necklace of Adaptation (9,000 gp, can breathe in any environment, protected from gasses and vapors), Cloak of Arachnida (14,000 gp, 1 lb., 6th-level caster, may cast Web 1/day, cannot be trapped in webs, move at half speed through webs, may personally Spider Climb at will, gets +2 Fortitude against spider poison), Everburning Torch (110 gp, 1 lb.), Heward's Handy Haversack (2,000 gp, 5 lbs., holds gold, crossbow, torch, potions, solvent, oil, wand, bedroll, rations, and waterskins), Wand of False Life (4,500 gp, 3rd-level caster, 50 charges), 2 Universal Solvents (100 gp), 3 Potions of Cure Light Wounds (150 gp, 1st-level caster), Oil of Magic Weapon (50 gp, 1st-level caster), Traveler's Outfit (free starting outfit, 5 lbs., worn outfit doesn't count towards his encumbrance), Spell Component Pouch (5 gp, 2 lbs.), Bedroll (1 sp, 5 lbs.), Flint & Steel (1 gp), 3 Trail Rations (15 sp, 3 lbs.), 3 Waterskins (3 gp, 12 lbs.).

Wealth: 39 gp, 8 sp, 10 cp.......Current Load: 10-1/4 lbs. (light)
Light Load: 19-1/2 lbs. max..........Medium Load: 39-3/4 lbs. max
Heavy Load: 60 lbs. max..........Lift High: 60 lbs. max
Lift Off Ground: 120 lbs. max...Push/Drag: 300 lbs. max
Medium Load Drawbacks: 20 ft. speed, +3 max Dex to AC, -3 check penalty.
Heavy Load Drawbacks: 20 ft. speed, x3 run, +1 max Dex to AC, -6 check penalty.[/sblock]

Appearance: This squat little gnome has a broad face with a broad nose, a near-constant grin, light blue eyes that sparkle with glee, big ears, and a shock of blonde hair that seems to only rarely receive grooming. A short, fuzzy beard hangs from his chin and seems to get slightly more attention, but is still poorly groomed. Dirt, grime, and random splotches of who-knows-what adorn his skin, hair, and clothes. He kind of smells too, of what you can't quite be sure.

The gnome wears simple traveling garb in earth-tones, which somewhat lessens the obviousness of just how dirty he is. Even his fine leather gloves are often covered with dirt. A simple dagger is sheathed at the right side of his belt, and a wide pouch hangs from the left side, while a sturdy leather backpack with brass clips and buckles covers his broad little back. Two small cases are strapped to his forelegs, a chain necklace and fancy amulet hang from his neck, and a strange black cloak covers most of his pack, covered in white patterns.

[sblock=Description]Personality: Grackle is an energetic little bundle of crazy. Well, he would say he's just exciteable and whimsical. That would be a lie. Grackle is an inveterate liar. He rarely speaks the truth unless he's having a lucid moment, and he loves to exaggerate and distort facts. He thinks much like a child, gets easily agitated or excited, then quickly forgets. Grackle is endlessly curious and fascinated by anything shiny or strange. He tends to eat strange things out of curiousity, and has a peculiar sense of taste. Grackle also has a tendency to talk to rocks and other inanimate objects sometimes. This lead him to study the Terran language, once he realized that rocks probably speak their own language, not Gnome.

He is also prone to destroying things just to see what happens, and he likes fire, though not quite a pyromaniac. His sensibility is almost nil, though his parents drilled some degree of understanding into him. They also tried to curb his destructive behavior, but only half-succeeded. Grackle loosely understands the value of life and property, but is still fairly careless and carefree. His jolly, friendly nature generally offsets the destructive side of his personality. His weasel familiar is nearly as intelligent as Grackle himself, and certainly wiser, so he tends to defer to it and has convinced himself that the weasel is far more than it appears, with a great and storied background. He just doesn't seem to remember that story the same way every time.

Background: Grackle is a rock gnome of the Granitetop clan, living in the Lortmil Mountains. He is the youngest child of four, and the most unstable. He always liked to break things or blow them up, and briefly dabbled in alchemy as a youth, but was forced to leave it alone for his own safety. It didn't help much, as he soon began to develop sorcerous talents, and began blowing things up anyway. Only harsh parenting and clever lies by his parents kept Grackle from growing up to be a little engine of destruction.

He earned his nickname of Grubeater from eating every grub under a log in one sitting, on a dare, while out on a trip with his parents and brothers. And he still eats lots of grubs and other insects. Grackle naturally went out adventuring when he reached adulthood, driven by curiousity, the desire to blow stuff up without getting yelled at, and the love of shiny-shinies. He also just loves playing in the dirt and muck, and finding shiny treasures in the process is a bonus.

During his travels, Grackle joined up with a few different adventuring groups, and quickly parted ways with them (usually not of his own choice). One such group was lead by the human adventurer Ambrose Wythwindle, whom Grackle entertained throughout the delve and even helped save the life of, fending off disturbed mummies with his arcane fire. Many years later, he met Jillian Tealeaf during a solo exploration of some ruins, and they worked together to dig out the treasures there, fight off the disturbed spirits of the ruins' dead, and make it back to civilization despite running into a big gang of goblins. Grackle's been following Jillian around for a little while since then, curious what other shiny-shinies she knows how to find, curious about halflings and if she really isn't a gnome because she sure looks like one to him and why is her nose so small, and why she doesn't think insects are the juiciest and crunchiest treats ever.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Grackle is very cool. Approved! Drop him in the RG and introduce him to the party. Presumably he got distracted by a grub or something shiny over the crest of the hill and is just behind the others.

Arkhandus

First Post
Grackle added to the RG and the IC. Took a while, computer's been finnicky today.

By the way, what's the 3,000 gold Vertex mentioned? I didn't see it mentioned in the various pages I read or skimmed in the IC thread (though I haven't read it all), and I've only looked at a few parts of the OOC thread so far.

If Grackle has another 3k GP coming (beyond the 36k initially spent), it'd be used for a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds and a Wand of Haste (10 charges left).

Scotley

Hero
That was some extra starting money for anything you might need given by the benefactor in this adventure, Ambrose, as part of his will. It was originally subject to the limits of what was available in Saltmarsh at the start of the adventure. You can get the wands.

Vertexx69

First Post
This is the link to my HP and XP rolls. Search Results

@ scotley - Yah the eberron campaign setting is one of few sources that actually has Bard feats, although I've never actually played a bard before ;p

If its cool, I'll be using the third section of my quiver as a sheath for my katana since its the general size & shape of a bow.

@ Tailspinner - Sweetness, I didn't notice that it was points spent as opposed to just your stat ;p way to go for dex!

@ Arkhandus - You might want to look for a healing belt instead of a potion. Same price but heals 2d8 3 times a day instead of a 3d8+5 one shot.

Last edited:

Remove ads