• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scott Rouse: of Interesting Note

smootrk

First Post
One little scrap of information I took notice from response from Scott Rouse is that he does not refer to the game as pen-n-paper, but rather as 'tabletop' gaming. This is rather disturbing to me, as I think it foreshadows a move to a more mini-centric game, and is not playing to the roots of the game.

There have been other allusions to moving the game in this direction. I am not sure what to think about the future of my favorite hobby.

Odhanan

Adventurer
smootrk said:
One little scrap of information I took notice from response from Scott Rouse is that he does not refer to the game as pen-n-paper, but rather as 'tabletop' gaming. This is rather disturbing to me, as I think it foreshadows a move to a more mini-centric game, and is not playing to the roots of the game.

There have been other allusions to moving the game in this direction. I am not sure what to think about the future of my favorite hobby.

I honestly don't think so, smootrk. I use the term "tabletop" myself, and I can tell you I certainly want my P&P to stay as it is. :)

Now that in itself does not have to change your fears regarding the future of our hobby. I certainly can say I share some of those fears, but this expression in particular is no clue one way or the other, I think.

Just my two coppers, as they say!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
smootrk said:
This is rather disturbing to me, as I think it foreshadows a move to a more mini-centric game, and is not playing to the roots of the game.

Which roots. My "roots" are B/X D&D, the latter days of 1E and early 2E, where minis didn't account for much and the dungeon played second fiddle to "story". this, of course, colors my expectations and preferences.

However, if you're talking about the objective "roots" of the hobby, you're in trouble because the roots of D&D are a minis skirmish game in which you got to talk in a funny voice. Preferences aside, that is the truth of the matter.

smootrk

First Post
You are right that Minis are technically among the initial incarnations of the game, but my perspective is based more upon the point at which the game really gained in popularity and became a part of our culture... to me, that point was when the game became primarily a 'role-playing game'. Splitting hairs regardless.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Scott Rouse seem sincere to me. After reading the latest from him I was like: "That dude is taking out all the fun of conspiracy theory and speculation." Well, we can still speculate about products and stuff but no one is going to believe a rumor that Hasbro is actually a super-genius evil kraken off the coast of Seattle luring innocent gamers into its great beaklike maw by the cunning use of minis and MMPORPGs. Thinks are looking good, from my perspective.

Mercule

Adventurer
I wouldn't worry about it. I say "table top" also, and I'm extremely against it turning into a minis-based dungeon delve.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
smootrk said:
You are right that Minis are technically among the initial incarnations of the game, but my perspective is based more upon the point at which the game really gained in popularity and became a part of our culture... to me, that point was when the game became primarily a 'role-playing game'. Splitting hairs regardless.

I just wanted to point out that you concerns are an issue of preferred playstyle. That doesn't make them any less valid, mind you.

ivocaliban

First Post
While I share your overall concern, smootrk, I use "tabletop" gaming and "pen-and-paper" interchangeably and the closest I've ever come to using a mini is arranging dice to show the positions of characters and what not. As I've said in previous posts, the day that I'm required to buy a single mini is the day I stop buying D&D products.

Remove ads