• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scott Rouse: of Interesting Note

lurkinglidda

First Post
Yah, I wouldn't worry. We use Tabletop and Pen & Paper interchangeably around the office. Of course, since I work on DDM, I'd like to see the minis game grow, but I have no delusions that it'll take over D&D as we know it any time soon. Long live the RPG! :D

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
A good friend of mine, warned me off, in not buying them. (would have bought, cause I loved Dragons), but in the long run. The continued 'addiction' to acquire would have outstripped my living space.

(Which in truth, my comic book collection is doing that already)
ivocaliban said:
While I share your overall concern, smootrk, I use "tabletop" gaming and "pen-and-paper" interchangeably and the closest I've ever come to using a mini is arranging dice to show the positions of characters and what not. As I've said in previous posts, the day that I'm required to buy a single mini is the day I stop buying D&D products.

smootrk

First Post
lurkinglidda said:
Yah, I wouldn't worry. We use Tabletop and Pen & Paper interchangeably around the office. Of course, since I work on DDM, I'd like to see the minis game grow, but I have no delusions that it'll take over D&D as we know it any time soon. Long live the RPG! :D
I appreciate you popping in to say that. Just so you know, I like the minis (and have a lot), but they are used as an enhancement to our roleplay game and I have never played the skirmish game.

I guess I have a different vocab when it comes to this. Table Top games bring to mind (other than minis) thoughts of Card games, Dice games, Monopoly, or other 'board' games. RPG's or PnP games are different.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Hmmm, but isn't the PHB reference made for minis, especially in the combat, movement, etc, etc?
lurkinglidda said:

Retreater

Legend
D&D 3.5 is unalienable from miniature skirmish battles. You literally cannot play the game correctly without minis. IMO, that's the biggest difference between AD&D and D&D 3.5. Whilst the game may have started as Chainmail, to me, my earliest memories of the game (and I'm 28) came from sitting around in a friend's basement, listening to him describe a scene, and my imagining what's going on in the fantasy world of the game.

Part of what is lost about D&D to me is the seeming subjugation of imagination. Everything is codified, every situation detailed in cold print. When I describe a monster or a character, it doesn't matter what I say, because it's essentially reduced to a mass produced blob of plastic on a dry erase battlegrid. Combats are not narrative, visceral exchanges, but instead are movement on a chessboard to avoid attacks of opportunity. What I carry to every weekly game is a dufflebag full of books, battlemats, dry erase markers, dice, and an organized, four tier tacklebox full of minis. We have a presentation board hammered onto the wall of our gaming room just to keep track of initiative.

We have to remove soda bottles, chips, homemade brownies and cookies from our table just to put out the battlegrid. The game is less comfortable, for me, for having become a miniatures skirmish game.

And I just realized last evening that I haven't used the term RPG in about 7 years. Everytime I write it or say it in conversation it's d20 (or D&D if I'm talking specifically about the fantasy RPG).

Retreater

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads