Scribing Scrolls

Rel

Liquid Awesome
emergent said:
Although I tried Rel's variant xp system and my players hated it. If I use his suggestion, I'll just disguse the source.

No offense, Rel. I liked your system a lot. My players didn't want the 'extra work'. Slackers :)

:eek:

At the risk of hijacking your thread even more than I was already, sorry to hear it didn't work out for you with the xp system. I did say that it wasn't for everybody.

Out of curiousity, for whatever period that you tried it out, how did the party fare xp-wise compared to what they would have gotten under the normal system? I'm always intrigued by that comparison.

I will also lodge a very mild, "shame on them" for not wanting to perform the (minimal) extra bookeeping if that is their only reason for not liking the system. I'm guessing they don't DM much if that's their attitude.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
i would like to add that although i believe that the first option presented by kreynolds is the more logical/sensible one, i still do not agree that this is the way it was presented in the DMG.

As a frequent wizard player, i'll admit that I prefer option 1. I'll also admit that the phrase "buff spells" have now a whole new meaning.

Maitre D, the unfrench

kreynolds

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
i would like to add that although i believe that the first option presented by kreynolds is the more logical/sensible one, i still do not agree that this is the way it was presented in the DMG.

And I don't think that the way you think it is presented in the DMG is the way it is actually presented in the DMG.

dubious-yellow.gif

What the heck was _that_ nonsense?
eek-yellow.gif
Bah. Just ignore me. :D

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
kreynolds said:

And I don't think that the way you think it is presented in the DMG is the way it is actually presented in the DMG.

dubious-yellow.gif

What the heck was _that_ nonsense?
eek-yellow.gif
Bah. Just ignore me. :D

How could i ignore the naked camper?

Lets just agree that we disagree.

I'm surprised this wasnt covered in the FAQ/errate (or it was and i was uninformed)

Maitre D

kreynolds

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
How could i ignore the naked camper?

Trust me, if you ignore me and play dead, I'll leave you alone. Hibernating bears - OK. Dead bears - _not_ OK!

Maitre Du Donjon said:
Lets just agree that we disagree.

It's all good. :cool:

Maitre Du Donjon said:
I'm surprised this wasnt covered in the FAQ/errate (or it was and i was uninformed)

Me too.

Staffan

Legend
Re: Re: Scribing Scrolls

kreynolds said:
No. It says "Scribing a scroll requires one day per each 1,000 gp value of the completed scroll."

But, a scroll can have multiple spells on it. There are basically two camps in this argument.

1) A scroll with multiple spells is still a single magic item, thus you can scribe a scroll with multiple spells in a single day if its total market price is 1,000 gp or less.

2) Each spell on the scroll is treated separately, so each spell requires a day to complete, even if its market price is equal to or less than 1,000 gp.

I'm in camp 1.
Me too, with the caveat that the creator must be able to prepare/cast all the spells that are going on the scroll. A 1st level wizard couldn't make a scroll with five magic missiles on it, because he can't prepare that many (unless he has Intelligence enough to get three bonus spells in addition to being an evoker).

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Scribing Scrolls

Staffan said:
Me too, with the caveat that the creator must be able to prepare/cast all the spells that are going on the scroll.

Oh definately. But I don't really think that's a caveat. That's spelled out in the rules. But, I'm sure someone out there would argue it anyway. :)

Antikinesis

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Scribing Scrolls

Staffan said:

Me too, with the caveat that the creator must be able to prepare/cast all the spells that are going on the scroll. A 1st level wizard couldn't make a scroll with five magic missiles on it, because he can't prepare that many (unless he has Intelligence enough to get three bonus spells in addition to being an evoker).
Looks to me like you've got a toe in the "Camp 2" camp, Staffan, since you're considering each spell on the scroll to require a separate casting.

You don't have to be able to cast 50 magic missiles a day to craft a wand of MM. If you're putting more than one copy of the same spell on a single scroll, I would think the same restrictions (or lack thereof) apply: prepare and trigger the required spell once per day in the creation of the item.

Since this has the potential for abuse, our group agrees with a six-spell cap on scrolls, which is marginally supported by the treasure-generation table in the DMG. (I'll grant that an argument advocating no cap on number of spells per scroll might have merit... but ya gotta draw the line somewhere!)

-AK

Antikinesis

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Scribing Scrolls

kreynolds said:

Oh definately. But I don't really think that's a caveat. That's spelled out in the rules. But, I'm sure someone out there would argue it anyway. :)
Hoo boy... I usually regret responding to a Not-Sean post... but I can't help myself. :)

The part about preparing all the required spells is "spelled" out ( :rolleyes: ) in the rules, but the example of putting multiple copies of the same spell on a scroll is not quite the same thing.

In my opinion, of course.

-AK

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Scribing Scrolls

kreynolds said:

SRD (creating scrolls):

"The act of writing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot
is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)"

Maitre D

Remove ads