Sean K Reynolds on working at Paizo (and other companies)

MGibster

Legend
Reynolds said:
When they got us better coverage, they made sure to note that in our annual review and summary of compensation (“Your salary is $38k, but we’re also providing you with a health insurance policy that costs us $10k, so that’s like your total compensation is $48k”).

This is known as total compensation. It's the combination of your base salary along with whatever benefits you might receive including paid vacations, health insurance, etc., etc. Generally speaking, you don't win many people over by touting the total compensation package as most employees are more interested in what affects their bottom line. Namely their salary. Having good insurance is great, but most people are more concerned with their base salary.

And after reading that article, once again I realize why so many people only dabble when it comes to working on games. That's not even getting into issues of harassment.

TheSword

Legend
Interesting, and quite sad. I can’t help thinking the rot starts at the top. The chewing someone out and repeating the next day with a Dalek filter, or raising concerns in writing and a senior manager reading it on the shop floor.

I can say without doubt, if I did either of those two things, I would be fired for gross misconduct. The first for bullying and harassment, the second for harassment/bullying or possibly a breach of trust and confidence.

The apple has fallen very far from the tree.

On the flip side. It was good to hear Sean enjoyed his year back at WOC and didn’t seem the same toxic culture there.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Sad to hear this about Paizo. I couldn't imagine accepting a $38k salary in the Seattle area even in the late 2000s... when I was trying to find a job there in 2007 before I moved overseas I was targeting $50k bare minimum. How can anybody live on that?

Though there's one positive takeaway from this - Monte Cook's reputation as a mensch remains unspoiled. Glad to know there are some people in the industry who aren't jerks.

Remove ads