• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Search: Permission Denied

Talwyn

First Post
Hi folks, just registered an account and already I've got the first problem: When I click on "SEARCH" in the top navigation, I am redirected to a page stating, that I don't have the rights to use this feature... Does anyone know what to do with this?

You see, I'd really use the search function on this issue but... :D

thx in advance,

Talwyn

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Talwyn said:
You're kidding, right?

The search feature is a pretty hefty thing, in terms of server resources. If everyone were searching willy-nilly, we'd need a more powerful server, and that costs $$. So, the function is reserved as a perk for those who are willing to contribute $$.

Last edited:

Talwyn said:
You're kidding, right?

Once, long ago, before ENworld had several thousand users, 'search' was active for everyone. Now, due to the ENormous amount of bandwidth the site and traffic produce, 'search' is for community supporter accounts only.

It may seem harsh, but I guarantee that if you use this site for a few months, you'll be more than willing to pay money just to keep this fabulous community going.

-F

p.s. if you sign up for a community supporter account, you can choose your own custom user title too! Nifty, eh?

edit: oh yeah... welcome to the boards, Talwyn!

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
Femerus the Gnecro said:
Once, long ago, before ENworld had several thousand users, 'search' was active for everyone. Now, due to the ENormous amount of bandwidth the site and traffic produce, 'search' is for community supporter accounts only.

It may seem harsh, but I guarantee that if you use this site for a few months, you'll be more than willing to pay money just to keep this fabulous community going.

-F

p.s. if you sign up for a community supporter account, you can choose your own custom user title too! Nifty, eh?

It has also been discussed (and I support) making selectable styles a community supporter only feature. Anyway the frequency of this question has increased too much since it removed from the announcement lines. Gonna fix that.

Talwyn

First Post
Well I most surely believe that you have good reason for making people pay for the search feature. One thing I would suggest is that you mention this community-supporter-thing on the error page that is displayed when one tries to search. That "permission denied" screen simply looked like a forum bug to me :)

Remove ads