• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Secondary Archetype Option in same Class

Dartavian

Explorer
House Rule: Secondary Archetype Option

Allow the character to select a secondary or even tertiary archetype in the same class when they attain a level with an Ability Score Improvement. Treat it just like a Feat.

4th Level: Characters 1st Ability Score Improvement selection: Secondary Archetype gaining the 3rd Level Archetype Ability.

8th Level Characters 2nd Ability Score Improvement selection: Secondary Archetype gaining the Second Archetype Ability in the Archetype Ability Tree.

And so on,

Restrictions: Must follow the Selected Archetype Ability Tree. No double dipping, you cannot receive the same benefit from two different Archetype Abilities.

Thoughts?

Greg K

Legend
Eh ... feats work better.

That said, I think it would be interesting if more classes followed the Warlock example (Class / Patron / Pact Boon) to have more diverse options, as opposed to Class / Archetype.

I have stated elsewhere that I would have preferred clerics armor and weapon proficiencies having been an additional choice removed from domains and being an additional choice at first level: cloistered (no armor, simple weapons) for the scholarly priest, templar (medium armor and martial weapons) for martial priests, and, maybe, a third choice for a wandering or "worldy" light armored priest that uses simple weapons (mayb e called itinerant). Depending upon a campaign, the DM might assign one to each of the deities as appropriate rather than allowing players to choose. Things like Bonus cantrips, extra skills, divine strike, and potent casting could also have been removed from the domain and assigned at the appropriate level based upon this new additional choice.

Similarly, I would have preferred fighters having choices to be Light armored fighters ( Zorro (Banderas version)*, Count of Monte Cristo (version with the guy from Person of Interest)*, and the 3 Musketeers) or heavy armor fighter.

* While sharing some similarity with Rogue, both had formal weapons training as swordsman and the additional training was gentleman skills (philosophy, courtly grace, etc.) and not thievery. Banderas's version had a criminal background. The Count probably multi-classed as Rogue after his rescue by the pirates.

Last edited:

Prism

Explorer
We allow this for levels beyond 20th instead of granting a feat or boon per level. I guess it works at lower levels too

Remove ads