• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Secondary attacks

gizmo33

First Post
If a power says that you can make a secondary (or tertiary, etc.) attack with a weapon, does that mean the same weapon that you made the primary attack with?

gizmo33

First Post
That's was my guess on this. However, are you saying this with certainty because it was in a FAQ somewhere or is it just what you think is reasonable?

mischa84

First Post
I don't really now if you need one or two minor actions to change your weapon (sheathe one and then draw another?) but you can only do one action at a time.
ie you can not walk 3 squares use a power and then walk another 3 squares with the same move action.

the other possibility is two weapon fighting: these powers always state that you can use your off-hand weapon.

so you cannot use another weapon for a secondary attack if the power does not say otherwise

Oompa

First Post
Well.. what if i hold an longsword in my main hand and dagger in my offhand? If i make the main attack with the longsword i could use the dagger for the second right?

I wouldnt get any two handed fighting bonusses, just the normal ones..

Oompa

First Post
Hmm it should be possible, as dropping an weapon is an free action and drawing is part of the second attack you make, also free with quick draw...

mischa84

First Post
no nononononono
quick draw allows you to draw a weapon with the action you attack with it

you use a standard action to use a power

if you have quick draw you can say i draw my "whatever" while using "putinmightypowerhere"
but you cannot take a free action in the middle of another action
you can before
so if you want to change your "otherthing" against your "whatever" with your "putinmightypowerhere" all rolls you make as part of your power are affected by "whatever" (and your "otherthing" is lying on the ground i you didn't use a minor action to put it away instead of dropping it with a free action)

another example: if you want to run at a speed of 6 but after 4 squares there's this wall
you (normally if not houseruled) cannot run 4 squares climb up and run the other 4 squares because you can not pause your fist move action to make another and then get the rest of the first one

AND as I already said it: powers allow you to attack with your off hand weapon
just look through some ranger powers and you will find it

EDIT: the other thing are opportunity actions and immediate interrupt as they interrupt the triggering action

Last edited:

Oompa

First Post
no nononononono
another example: if you want to run at a speed of 6 but after 4 squares there's this wall
you (normally if not houseruled) cannot run 4 squares climb up and run the other 4 squares because you can not pause your fist move action to make another and then get the rest of the first one

Uhhh

mischa84

First Post

What?
On the other hand if your DM allows that movement thing, it is the beast example to argue to get a houserule: "You can interrupt you own actions with other actions"

i found an even better example: you can not use a power and then use a move action between your first and secondary attack why should you be able to use a minor action?

Remove ads