• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Selan- A SE Asian campaign (Critical rebuilding)

Aikuchi

Transient
I'll post more another time but as a quick response.

StormWrack has some good seafaring races :D
one of which is a shipfaring race of apes/monkeys with glider flap skins (like those akin to flying squirrels).

AS for using something other than Jade = perhaps theres still more than one type of material than can counteract the Taint. Jade, Obsidian to some degree, certain flowers (crushed and pupled to a juice - or worn as until the last petal falls), waching the body in specific lotions or breathing/covered in joss sticks smoke made from the hide or certain creatures :D

questing gm

First Post
It's good to be back

Glad to be back again. I was thinking about the Garuda and Naga background and remembered an anime called Macross Zero (don't know if you have seen it). Although it's not really south-east asian in flavor but i figured the background of the religion practiced in that anime could be useful for your Garuda-Naga relationship. Recalling as much as i can, i've come up with the following as a rough adaptation to your setting's background.

During ancient times there was only the Nagas and the Garudas. The Nagas lived in the sea while the Garudas borned with wings lived in the sky. One day, a Naga laughed at a Garuda saying : 'O mighty Garuda, borned of wings and rider of the sky. How pitiful that you shalt not know the life of the deep sea.'

The Garuda felt offended by the remark made by the Naga, swooped down on the Naga and tore it apart from the sky. From the blood of the Naga that fell upon the earth rose mankind who walked with feet and lived on the earth.

The Naga seeing that from their blood emerged a new race claim itself to be its master. They attacked the humans, seeking to subjugate them as their minion slaves and brought terror to the lives of humans. Humanity fearing the Naga pleaded to the Garuda for salvation. ' O mighty Garuda, borned of wings and tearer of the Naga. Deliver us from the Naga whom you have ripped to spill the blood from hence we came forth.'

The Garuda answered the pleas of the humans and once again from the heavenly skies, swooped down on the invading Nagas. A great battle ensued with Garudas shredding and Nagas bitting. The battle ended with the Naga being pushed back into their deep sea. Before the Garuda ascended back into the heavens, they gave the surviving humans a warning. For saving the humans from the Naga and having to lose members of their own race, the Garuda demand that their sacrifice be remembered. To do this the dead Garuda and Naga would become spirits in the earthly realm. They must appeace the spirits and not defile their sacred ground. Should man fail to do this, the Garuda would descend once more and destroy all of humanity.

Well, i guess it's still pretty lame at the moment :heh:
Maybe i'll come up with a better one but at least i think most of the gist is there.

Oh, and for the replacement of taint repellants. I know this is going to sound really odd (i was aiming for that direction anyway) but how about seashells ? Not good ? :eek:

Aikuchi

Transient
Perhaps particular seashells :D
Or tortoiseshells :p

If seashells, it would give the Naga very advantageous in resisting / denying the taint upon them. That would be a good / bad thing :D ?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
.....or Dragon Turtle Shell.... :]
I also had the idea of still using Jade, but it can only be found in the bones of the fallen bodies of the ancient Naga.

Hey, Questing... that's a really cool start. I sometimes have trouble with the "language" of legends and stories. I often slip back into the "olde English", which may not be appropriate here. I appreciate the effort you've put in!

Macross Zero... I haven't seen it. Since you've piqued my curiosity, though...I'll have a look at the video shop in town.

"Worship us.... or else!" I like it. It certainly could create an interesting dynamic. Will the PCs be blasphemous and completely disregard this?
It also gives a good rationale for both Shaman and Witch doctor classes. :)
Thanks also for the rationale for why the Naga have the ability to transmute the flesh of humans....since they are of the same blood. I like the idea of wrathful and sinister edge to the Garuda.

Aikuchi

Transient
Benevolence, violence and spite are usually intended perceptions from the receiver.

No one can truly know what they're intent was was the human scale - except by their actions and consequence.
Turning it on its head can be just as fun.
Perhaps the Garuda need the humans to tend the earth so they may feed from the energies knowing that if humanity were to turn against them, they would perish. Commanding them as their saviour would be far easier to manipulate the circumstance..

In the Naga's defense, changing them (or perhaps returning them back to what they should have been; untainted by the blood felled by the fowl *tehee Garuda) to suit the multiple treasures of the seaborne free's them of the Garuda 'tyranny'.
Free's them from 'tending' to a land the Garuda have manipulated them to be gardeners without reaping its treasures.

Granted all this is rather DM knowledge rather than something the player ought to know - but in time ... who knows :D

Just you, the GM.

Wheeeeeeee

Aikuchi

Transient
Time to start posting in the House Rules thread (hehe) --

Starting to generate some nice ideas, and I suppose more detailed versions of the concept will start to bloom out now :D
Keep us posted SoA!

Perhaps I'll share some of my new campaign (been workign on a world concept as well, based on 2 millenium after my last epic players changed it :D of course theyre back down to new characters at level 5)

New concept for worship, magic and the like :D

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Ah yes, it surely is great to be GM! :]

"freeing humans".... yes. Hence the lure of so-called "black" magic from the ancient Naga spirits. These spirits are unknowable from a human perspective... being so different and alien. It looks like this campaign will have a very special flavour... IF I can show it convincingly!

What would the native culture (the Selanese, for now) think of the other, nearby cultures... those who don't worship the Garuda? Are they outside their influence? Created by some other entities (and therefore inhuman)? hmmm....

With the religions from the north and west coming here due to settlement and trade....what effect is there?

-As it is, the Asturians have a monotheistic church, and are trying to convert. I can see people thinking that Astur is just a Garuda (especially with reference to winged messengers). I'm trying to decide for this group whether to have them as an established influence here already (in trade, mostly, and slowly coming to settle) or to have them arrive in the course of the campaign as explorers and/or conquerors.

-The Deng Hua from the north...I haven't decided what I want them to be in the campaign. A hostile empire? Friendly trade?

I'm asking because I want to be careful with the influence of other cultures upon the primary one that's the backbone of the campaign. Also there's the question of what both the Naga and Garuda think of these foreign cultures....or even if they care at all.

With an interesting creation myth, there's always the problem of those who have a different one. :)

Aikuchi

Transient
.. or perhaps names for the very same thing.
You say Greek (Artemis), Roman (Diana).
Both can be seen suitably the same but perceived to affect the world differently, or opposingly!

Or the Garuda is seen as the 3 faced Flying Monkey of Lies, Truth and Mischeif ?
*giggles

---

Oh yea.
I prefer just finishing one segment and then another - and try to pcture two nations and how they survive and make consequent changes from there :D

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I think they call that sin.... "Sloth"

Agreed. It's not easy restraining myself from blurting out "crunch" all the time. :p

I'd enjoy a few of your campaign tales and the like.It's always "neat" ;) to find out a little bit more of others' play experiences!

It's hard going back to lower levels again after being epic...phew! Good luck!

Ok! On to posting details...

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Equipment that would be common?

What kind of tradable goods, and equipment should be available in my setting? As it stands, a lot of the food comes from rie, and seafood, particularly turtle and fish.
I've had thoughts toward flake(shark meat) as a commodity, as well as dugong and dolphin. How about whaling (I'm not sure if whales are as common in this area near the equator, as they are to the south and north).

I can't imagine a lot of heavily armoured people, really, although such things may be available for trade from those in the guest cultures, and from the Sea Trader race (I still haven't named them!).

Of course, I'm not expecting the PCs to get into being traders themselves, just looking at this on the basis of the parent economy, and what kind of mark up I should put on certain items. I also looking at reducing the price of a lot of things, but having less free flowing gold as well (as less magic items are available, so very few magic recaptacles...)

Any other ideas?

Remove ads