Pathfinder 1E Sell me on Pathfinder....

Oryan77

Adventurer
I currently run a 3.5 Planescape campaign that has been going since 3e began. I've heard that the PC classes in PF are much better than the 3.5 core classes (like the fighter).

I'm not a big fan of learning new rules...in fact, I hate learning rules. But I'm always up for improving our game and giving players better options.

Are Pathfinder rules so different from 3.5 that I would not be able to just buy the book and use the classes in it for my 3.5 game? Not including core 3.5 classes that are already considered weak....if one player chose a PF class while another player used a 3.5 core class, would the 3.5 player feel underpowered compared to the PF PC...or vise verse?

Would I be digging myself a hole if I allowed the PF book, and a player used a race from it while another player already has a PC using the same race in 3.5? Would the 3.5 player feel ripped off when comparing his elf to a PF elf? I'm not even sure if there is a difference.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should buy the PF book. Several races & classes never get used in our 3.5 game, so I'm wondering if that might change with the PF book.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Are Pathfinder rules so different from 3.5 that I would not be able to just buy the book and use the classes in it for my 3.5 game? Not including core 3.5 classes that are already considered weak....if one player chose a PF class while another player used a 3.5 core class, would the 3.5 player feel underpowered compared to the PF PC...or vise verse?

Yes, the 3.5 player would likely feel underpowered. Every base class got a boost.

Would I be digging myself a hole if I allowed the PF book, and a player used a race from it while another player already has a PC using the same race in 3.5? Would the 3.5 player feel ripped off when comparing his elf to a PF elf? I'm not even sure if there is a difference.

Differences here are minor, though races now get an additional "+2" to an ability score.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should buy the PF book. Several races & classes never get used in our 3.5 game, so I'm wondering if that might change with the PF book.

The Pathfinder SRD is online - and free. Check it out and see if you like the changes. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

DonTadow

First Post
Take it from me, u don't want to have half of a system, and half of another. Trying to rectify the power adjustments will just create more unbalance.

You could have the two races sideby side and and treat the pf classes as a LA1, but with monk and barbarian, i am not sure if la1 is enough.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Ah, so the changes to classes really are "more powerful" across the board? I heard the PF Fighter was improved a lot. I was hoping I could maybe allow it in the 3.5 game in case a player wanted to play a fighter, but felt the 3.5 version was underpowered & not worth playing.

I checked out the SRD (didn't know it existed, thanks). I like what I see, but I'm not very good at judging whether or not something is overpowered until I see it played. I'll take your word for it and assume it would not be good to use PF classes in the 3.5 game.

Is there anything the PF book might be good for in a 3.5 game? Like any good changes to any rules that could be houserules for a 3.5 game?

Ah, so the changes to classes really are "more powerful" across the board? I heard the PF Fighter was improved a lot. I was hoping I could maybe allow it in the 3.5 game in case a player wanted to play a fighter, but felt the 3.5 version was underpowered & not worth playing.

I checked out the SRD (didn't know it existed, thanks). I like what I see, but I'm not very good at judging whether or not something is overpowered until I see it played. I'll take your word for it and assume it would not be good to use PF classes in the 3.5 game.

Is there anything the PF book might be good for in a 3.5 game? Like any good changes to any rules that could be houserules for a 3.5 game?

There is also a conversion document, available at Paizo. It may be worth reading to see the differences in the classes and races. As for assuming that it is not a good idea to use the classes; that is your call. Pathfinder assumes that the encounters need to be suitably buffed to increase the EL by about 1 in order to compensate. In running my games, I have not seen a vast power increase, but my players no longer use any 3.5 classes.

To answer your question, one of the most innovative functions of combat is the Combat Manoeuver Bonus and Combat Manoeuver Defense to streamline special actions in combat. Grapple is a good example.

Aus_Snow

First Post
If nothing else take CMB and the new skill system.
+1

However, I would strongly suggest at least trying Pathfinder (with or without some 3e material mixed in - much easier this way 'round). . . basically, it's a much neater (and more compelling) form of 3.5 redux, IMO.

But I know, not everyone would agree. Still, the classes (for example) are just that much more appealing, even from 1 to 20, in a single class! Like, without any PrCs! I know, it sounds like crazy talk. :D

Anyway, I've said my piece. Whatever you decide, best of luck, and good gaming to you and yours. :)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar

Just to clarify one point, I think it would be fine to use Pathfinder classes in a 3.5 game as long as all PCs of a class were Pathfinder classes and you were using a 3.5 adventure. I would NOT (for example) have a 3.5 sorcerer and a Pathfinder sorcerer in the same party. (Though a 3.5 NPC sorcerer would be fine if you did not want to convert.)

TheNovaLord

First Post
Yep

use CMB/CMD

you could make NPCS using PF ( a sorceror, that can use healing 'spells', a cleric that cant turn undead?)

thing im liking alot is the quality of the paizo moduless we have played thus far. Just excellent.

DonTadow

First Post
I would agree that it depends on your DM style. I knew a DM that allowed lA 0 to 2 and didn't care too much about the power difference.

The PF characters will noticeably have more things they can do. They will have a few more options at spells and abilities and a +1 in certain areas. If you allow the pf feat progression, they will have a couple feats or so more than other players as well.

You could always play one of the pathfinder society adventures as a "one shot" see how well u like the system and observe the differences.

Remove ads