• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell me on the Warlock

Darkwing Duck

First Post
You could try a fighter. At least they won't expect you to do anything different.

In 5e, fighters have several options and don't need to use a sword round after round. They can get twice as many feats as any other class and, if they are Battle Masters, they've got maneuver options as well. If they are Eldritch Knights, they've got even more options.

Lejaun

First Post
In 5e, fighters have several options and don't need to use a sword round after round. They can get twice as many feats as any other class and, if they are Battle Masters, they've got maneuver options as well. If they are Eldritch Knights, they've got even more options.

Very true, I agree 100%.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Options like what?

mellored

Legend
A warlock knows 9 spells she can cast twice per short rest, and 3 cantrips, and 5 invocations, and possibly a sub-class feature to use.

A battlemaster knows 5 maneuvers she can use 5 times per short rest, and action surge.

An edrich knight knows 6 spells she can cast 6 times per long rest, and 2 cantrips, and action surge.

The warlock has the most options.

Last edited:

Lejaun

First Post
Fighters are also well-versed in a variety of weapons and use of armor, different fighting styles, feats, etc. The average fighter I see or play in my games has more variety than the average warlock that I see or play in my games.

mellored

Legend
Fighters are also well-versed in a variety of weapons and use of armor, different fighting styles, feats, etc. The average fighter I see or play in my games has more variety than the average warlock that I see or play in my games.
I've rarely seen a fighter use anything besides the weapon they specialized in. Or do anything with their feats besides specialize further (sharp shooter / polearm master). Only occasionally pulling out a backup weapon when they need a different range. But that's not really any different then a warlock using poison spray when in melee.

Not to say the warlock is much more versatile then a fighter. It's still a pretty spammy class. But at very least, you can take your first turn of a combat deciding weather to cast fireball, hypnotic pattern, darkness (with devils sight), suggestion, hold person, banishment, etc... Then spam eldirch blast.

leonardoraele

First Post
For the guys who are ignoring the "no eldritch blast" restriction: This is not a topic about making the better warlock, but about studying its possible builds. Everyone knows the full DPR eldricht blast warlock build, that's why the "no eldricht blast" restriction, the challenge here is to use your creativity to create new, unique builds.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
For the guys who are ignoring the "no eldritch blast" restriction: This is not a topic about making the better warlock, but about studying its possible builds. Everyone knows the full DPR eldricht blast warlock build, that's why the "no eldricht blast" restriction, the challenge here is to use your creativity to create new, unique builds.

Doesn't match the thread title.

Kind of like sell me on a rogue
Oh I mean sell me on a rogue that doesn't use sneak attack...

collin

Explorer
In one of my games (I play in two), I played a Warlock for the past six months. I died last week, and I've never been happier to roll up a new character. I realize that there are a lot of different things you can do as a Warlock, but my game sessions felt kind of like this:

Me: Do the same thing I always do
Others: Do something

Next round
Others: Do something different

Next round
Others: New a new third thing.

It just wasn't fun for me. Insanely powerful, but for me the most boring character I've played.

That is pretty much how the warlock in our group has been. BORing. The player is not fond of the character at all and has stopped coming the last few sessions so we've been running his warlock as an NPC. They just seem so weak at low-level, moreso than other classes. And if you have to multiclass to make the warlock a good character, what does that really say about the class by itself? If you want magic, stick with one of the other classes. Even bards are much better than warlocks, imo.

Remove ads