• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[semi-OT] Celtic Pronunciation Guides?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The way to properly pronounce Celtic words eludes me. It strikes me that so many of them are spelled in English much differently than they sound, that there has to be a pronunciation guide out there somewhere on the internet. Can anyone provide links to such a thing? And any similar guides for Welsh and Norse words? A lot of gaming stuff uses these cultures as source material.

Which Celtic languages? Welsh and Gaelic have very different pronunciations, and I've seen lots of guides in libraries over the years. You should be able to find guides online -- I know I've found Welsh pronunciation guides, complete with *.wav files and everything.

EDIT: Rereading your first post, it looks like by Celtic you probably mean Gaelic. I'll look for a link for you. Norse is also fairly easy to find. There's a great book (if you like this sort of thing) called Old English and it's Closest Relatives by Orrin Robinson that tells how to pronounce Old High German, Old Low Franconian, Gothic, Old Norse, and Old English.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Cool. Thanks.

Also, before anyone points it out - I know the Norsemen weren't Celtic. I just wanted to get a pronunciation guide for the languages they spoke also. For that matter, pronunciation guides for any language would be welcome.

Remove ads