• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sense Motive vs Bluff

anest1s

First Post
Ok, let me make it simpler:

Player: Are you the assassin?
Innkeeper: No.
(DM rolls sense motive for the player, and bluff for the innkeeper)
DM: You feel he is hiding something.
Player: Ok, you are under arrest.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Sorry for the harshness.

The implicit denial inherent in the "What are you talking about?" is an attempt at evasion, and thus subject to Sense Motive.

Again, I'll emphasize: Sense Motive does exactly that: It senses the motive of the person you're dealing with. Not the literal accuracy of the words, but more the care taken in selecting those words, and why they're being said that particular way.

So it doesn't matter whether the bartender is making an untrue statement, or even no statement at all. You can use Sense Motive to, well, sense what his motivations are. And they can come through even when the man is telling a "technical truth".

Dozen

First Post
I think Greenfield's last post summed it up neatly. Point considered proven.

Ansest1s, in this latter scenario, yes, there is a Bluff check involved, and thus rolling an opposed Sense Motive is a valid answer.

anest1s

First Post
I think Greenfield's last post summed it up neatly. Point considered proven.

Ansest1s, in this latter scenario, yes, there is a Bluff check involved, and thus rolling an opposed Sense Motive is a valid answer.

The thing is:

-If the player wins the check, he knows that the enemy lies.
-If the player fails the check, he can't get a false feeling that the enemy is lying.

Thus, any NPC with less than +19 ranks in bluff is detectable by a party without ranks on sense motive at all.

Dozen

First Post
The thing is:

-If the player wins the check, he knows that the enemy lies.
-If the player fails the check, he can't get a false feeling that the enemy is lying.

Thus, any NPC with less than +19 ranks in bluff is detectable by a party without ranks on sense motive at all.
Uhh. No. There are so many things wrong with this assumption I don't even know where to start opposing it. Maybe you could elaborate on your reasoning?

anest1s

First Post
Uhh. No. There are so many things wrong with this assumption I don't even know where to start opposing it. Maybe you could elaborate on your reasoning?

If I am a player, and my DM says "You feel like he is hiding something" then I know I just rolled a sense motive higher than his bluff check. Right?

This means that there was a bluff check.

So I know he was bluffing.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I get what he's saying, even if he isn't saying it very well.

His complaint is that the skill tells you if someone is trying to hide something, or it tells you nothing.

He sees this as a success=knowledge/failure=ignorance issue. There's no way to ever misread someone in any positive sense. You never get "good" feelings, only a lack of bad ones, and you never get a false read, just the lack of a read at all.

And I think this can be handled by a bit of DM planning.

You're checking out the bar, looking for a particular fence. The bartender comes across as secretive, as if he's hiding something, and is actively nervous when you question him.

In a a one-track world, you could assume that he's the fence, or is working with him. Maybe he's just guilty of watering the drinks. Maybe he's just nervous because of the trouble you could cause for him by even asking such questions. He might not know of the fence in question, or of any fence for that matter, but he knows what will happen to him and his business if he's seen answering any questions for a Paladin.

You see what I mean? If the fence (or the Assassin, if you choose) is the only thing going on in the world, then an evasive answer or nervous manner tells you that he's involved. In a more complex world, all you'll pick up is that he's a shady character, not to be trusted.

In short, a false read.

A good DM could set various thresholds for the Sense Motive DC to detect not only the fact that he's nervous and evasive, but what specific points or questions are making him nervous or evasive. And there you get you "wrong answer if the DC is missed by 5 or more" result, all within the rules as written.

Remove ads