• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sentinels of Evermere

garyh

First Post
mackenson said:
Golas stares pointedly at the wild elf...

The commander gestures to the pages, who bring forward the cloaks. “This is a sacred honor. With the acceptance of these cloaks, you bind yourselves to your duty and to each other. You may refuse this calling, or you may step forward and claim your destiny…”

"I will take up the mantle," Dha'thuran replied as he took the cloak. "My only concern is that the most capable warriors are chosen to defend my people. If you say that those are my new companions, then I will have to take you at your word, Elder."

mackenson

First Post
Essan'ner receives his cloak as well, and steps back into place beside the other members of the newly formed squad.

Golas stands quietly for a moment, assessing the group. Then, he says, “Wear the cloaks with pride, fellow Sentinels, and never forget what they represent. And now, I’d suggest you retire to the barracks and get some rest. In the morning, you will be issued your orders and will depart on your first patrol. There are some long and difficult days ahead, and you must –-"

He stops in mid-sentence as a groaning noise fills the air. It is the sound of creaking wood. Behind him, the heavy wooden doors leading to the terrace are suddenly warping, bending inward at the edges as if in the grip of a giant fist. Simultaneously, a series of shouts erupt from the village as a creature dives out of the darkening sky. A pair of bat-like wings snap against the air as it swoops above the roof of a nearby house. Its body is the length of a man, but heavily muscular and covered by emerald scales that seem to shine with an inner light. A wolf-like head is crowned by a spiked crest that runs the length of its form to a sinuous tale. Its gaze is one of grim determination as it streaks toward the terrace, its jaws opened wide.

[Click here to view the combat map for this encounter.]

[Notes: The Terrace is approximately 40 feet above the ground, with a wooden railing along the curved edge that is about 4 feet high. There are two tables with water and bowls of food. The double-doors leading to the offices is marked in black on the map. The entire structure is built among the branches of a huge tree. About twelve feet above the terrace is a mass of intertwining branches, from which the blue crystal (the primary source of illumination) hangs. Other nearby trees are shown on the map. There are several small trees at around the same height as the terrace or lower and two larger trees which tower overhead (but are still much smaller than the tree that the terrace is built within). Some buildings (around 20 feet high) are also close by. The creature is approaching fast and is shown in grid 10-L on the map. When making your replies, feel free to refer to the grid coordinates.]

[Question: What screen resolution are you guys at? The map would be a bit more clear if I could scale it down to 1024 or so rather than 800.]

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Eshe’ri takes a step back (to F3) and turns towards the door, to see, what’s happening there, expecting something to break through the wood every moment, while chanting an incantation to imbue her quarterstaff with a Shillelagh spell.

Meanwhile Scar readies himself to defend her.

Last edited:

semmarin

First Post
Telas rushes over to the banister by one of the tables (D4) pulling his hand crossbow out as he moves. He crouches down near the railing steadying his arm on the rail he takes aim of the beast and fires a bolt. He immediately reaches into his cloak for another bolt to load into his crossbow, preparing to make another shot.

Tokiwong

First Post
Dais will move to K-1 and then Inspire Confidence via his Mandolin, trying to bolster he strength of his allies!

Dais rushes behind the table, hastily bringing to mind a song of victory to aid his brethren, he plays a quick dashing song, of danger and victory... His voice giving credence to his conviction as he supports his allies!

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Dha'thuran quickly whips out his bow and prepares to fire at the intruder.

He'll take a full attack with Rapid Shot at the monster. Oh, and i just remembered I need to find a portrait! :)

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Essan'ner doesn't even bother to say anything during the ceremony. His "opinions" are already well-known among the military higher-ups thanks to Commander Thanas.

With the outbreak of fighting Essan'ner undergoes a startling transformation, coming truly to life for the first time since entering the cpompound. His hazel eyes begin glowing with a strange light and his lips twist into a devilish smile.

Realizing the futility of hoping to engage the flying beast with his limited array of weapons, Essan'ner turns around and whips his chain from its resting place on his shoulder, heedless of the scratches this will cause.

He advances a bit and begins to whirl the weapon in ever increasing circles above his head, waiting to engage whatever will be breaking through the doors.

"Out of my way, you fool!", he shouts at the page standing next to him.

[OoC: Essan'ner moves to I3 and draws his weapon as a free action. He readies an attack on the first hostile being to enter the room through the doors.]

Last edited:

mackenson

First Post
The bard’s music emboldens his companions as the creature slices through the air toward the terrace. Its wings are spread, and its scales glitter like emeralds in the moonlight.

“A dragon!” Golas shouts. He dashes to the edge of the terrace, ripping his sword free from it sheath. “A young one, but deadly. Steel yourselves!”

Dha-thuran and Telas loose missiles at the beast; the arrow and bolt both strike true and plunge into its hide, but it seems to take little note of these injuries as it dives at Golas, snapping at him with its jaws. The old warrior brings up his sword to block the attack, but the dragon’s teeth rakes against his shoulder, and his return blow does not penetrate its scales.

Both of the pages scatter to opposite ends of the terrace, while Essan'ner and Eshe’ri focus on the door. The wood is suddenly still again. It is misshapen and seemingly wedged against the support posts. Eshe’ri realizes that this is the work of a spellcaster, and that the doors may have been twisted to prevent them from being opened. Gaps are now visible along the edges, and there is no sign of anyone or anything on the other side.

The dragon’s jaws open wide…

[Click here to view the combat map]

[Note: Dha'thuran used a movement action to ready his bow, and then a stadard action to fire a single arrow. You aksed for a full action with rapid fire, but this wouldn't have been possible until your bow was ready. Your bow could have been readied as a free action, of course, but only if combined with a move. Please let me know if I am in error on any of this.]

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
“There's a spellcaster somewhere!”

Realizing, that there is noone coming through the door and that it is well covered also, Eshe’ri turns her attention to the more tangible threat. She moves in a bow around the winged beast to swing at it with her mighty oaken staff from opposite Golan’s position. Scar moves with her, being ordered to follow and then attack, trying to drag the beast to the ground, if his bite connects.

OOC: Depending on how you do diagonal movement (i.e. every step 5' or every other step 10'), Eshe’ri will end up either in J6 (preferred) or J5, with Scar taking up the other square. Both will move to avoid any attacks of opportunity assuming a 5' threatened area.

Remove ads