• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sept] What Are You Reading?

DaveStebbins

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I've also got two famous H. Rider Haggard novels, She and King Solomon's Mines queued up; also supposedly inspirational to Burroughs as he invented the Tarzan stories.
Haggard is good stuff.

I visited my daughter this weekend, so with 20 hours of driving I was able to 'read' three audiobooks. First up was Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard, which I rather enjoyed. Next was The Funny Thing Is... by Ellen Degeneres, which was also very good. Last up was 17 Lies That Are Holding You Back and the Truth That Will Set You Free by Steve Chandler, which while inspiring, didn't particularly cover any new ground. Maybe the book was supposed to work by pointing out the obvious, but it didn't really do anything for me.

-Dave

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post
I'm reading a few books:
+Genesis by Poul Anderson, an astronaut gets his mind loaded into a computer;
+The Godmother's Apprentice by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, a Seattle rock star's teenaged daughter goes to Ireland to train to be a fairy godmother, the second of at least three books;
+Grave Peril by Jim Butcher, the third of a series of books about a wizard working as a Private detective in Chicago, this time there's quite a lot of ghost activity;
+The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane by Robert E. Howard, a complete collection of the stories of a Sixteenth Century English Puritan swordsman.

I also just finished reading that new Harry Potter book, which I don't think will have to be explained to anyone.

I'm enjoying, or have enjoyed, all of these books.

Hey, you Blood Bowl novel folks; be sure and post your impressions of it, 'kay?

As a longtime player and fan of the game, I'm curious about the novel, and cautiously optimistic. We'll probably only buy one copy for our whole group, and just pass it around, but that partly depends on what I hear about it as folks read it.

Olive

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
Next up, China Meiville's Looking for Jake.

Huh. Didn't kno this was out. Might try to pick it up soon.

I'm in the dying pages of Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming, and before that just finished Guns, Germs and Steel. GGS was great, but I'd been reading a heap of non-fiction in the lead up to that so I was a bit burnt out by the end. DaF is pulp as hell, and not a genre I think I'm in love with. But it certainly has been a light and easy read.

I'll probably start The Confusion by Neal Stephenson tomorrow.

AIM-54

First Post
Let's see:

The Origins of Modern Germany . an old survey book on Germany history from about 900 to 1939 originally published just post WWII. Well written and given me all kinds of world-building idea, politics-wise.

Corporate Download , picked this SR sourcebook up this summer and am finally getting around to reading it. One of the more enjoyable gaming books of any genre I've read.

and the guilty pleasure, Invid Invasion , I found the Robotech series almost complete at a used bookstore last spring and have been reading through it again for fun. It's fun, but the memories are better than the reality. :p

Next up: Waging Modern War , kicking off my series of Balkans reading, for professional purposes.

DarkSoldier

First Post
wrong book

I finished American Empire: Blood & Iron on Tuesday, and I'm going to start American Empire: The Center Cannot Hold soon.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads