• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sept] What Are You Reading?

Krug

Newshound
Finished The Sundering and thought it tried to do too much. Also,
too few heroes died.
;)

Moving on to Peter Straub's Lost Boy lost Girl, but hasn't quite gripped met yet.

Last edited:

Finished Tarnsman of Gor, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. I had thought to maybe read up through books four or five (I have no interest in going beyond that...) but I'm not sure now. Currently reading Lin Carter's Under a Green Star with his Jandar of Callisto coming in the mail to me from a used book store that sells on Amazon. I've never read anything by Lin Carter, oddly enough.

Warehawk

Explorer
Currently:

Home is the Sailor by Day Keene
Swords of the Empire...A Warhammer Fantasy Anthology

On Deck:

Committed : Confessions of a Fantasy Football Junkie by Mark St Amant
Blood Bowl by Matt Forbeck

Just finished Scaramouche, and moved on to Captain Blood.

Its excellent swashbuckling stuff, and I'm pretty sure it was an Enworlder on one of these threads who recommended reading Raphael Sabatini's works.

Anyway, now I'm recommending them as well. :)

amethal said:
Just finished Scaramouche, and moved on to Captain Blood.

Its excellent swashbuckling stuff, and I'm pretty sure it was an Enworlder on one of these threads who recommended reading Raphael Sabatini's works.
It might have been me; I've been known to recommend Sabatini, and those two books in particular many times before. Did I also mention that both are available from Project Gutenberg as free text files?

I'm blasting through older shorter novels like it ain't no thang; I don't know if it's worth updating this thread anymore. I just finished A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Under a Green Star by Lin Carter and Pirates of Venus by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and am already nearly halfway done with At the Earth's Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I'll probably read some more ERB before the month's done. Most of that is re-reading; I've read probably two thirds of his quite prolific output in my lifetime, some of it many times over.

I'm also investigating some even older stuff; Edwin L. Arnold wrote a story called Gulliver of Mars published right around the turn of the century, that was supposedly inspirational to ERB and his creation of Barsoom. I've also got two famous H. Rider Haggard novels, She and King Solomon's Mines queued up; also supposedly inspirational to Burroughs as he invented the Tarzan stories.

And I'm expecting to get Jandar of Callisto by Lin Carter in the mail today or tomorrow from the used bookstore from which I ordered it; supposedly an unabashed knockoff of Barsoom as well.

Heck, I'm reading more this month than I've read in the last few years. I don't know what's got into me.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Thanks to Green Ronin's new Thieves' World campaign setting, I've returned to Sanctuary for the first time in many many years. I read the original TW series years ago, and I haven't read anything in the new series that's out now. I'm just finishing up First Blood, a compilation of the first two original TW anthologies, Thieves' World and Tales from the Vulgar Unicorn, and I think I'm going to move on to Lynn Abbey's Sanctuary next.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Just finished Timothy Zahn's The Green and the Grey. Pretty good, really fast, easy read. Just started Into the Ruins , book 6 of the Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Just finished Gardens of the Moon and am on to book two: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson (Bantam/Spectra).

This series, Malazan Book of the Fallen, is mega high powered and is heavily influenced by Glen Cook's The Black Company. Recommended.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads