• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serenity DVD on Dec. 20th!

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Darth K'Trava said:
I saw that four times, a friend of mine 3 times. Even did the midnight showing! :D

I was there at midnight to for Star Wars, I was there at midnight for all 3 of them. I ended up seeing Serenity more times then Revenge of Sith. I think it would have done okay if they released it April at planned, then next month Star Wars would have come out. The people that see Sci Fi movies aren't the type that go "we saw a movie last month we don't need to go this month."
I'm not saying it would have beat Star Wars in any way, shape or form but it couldn't have done any worse.

Sorry for the hijack.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Darth K'trava said:
I saw that four times, a friend of mine 3 times. Even did the midnight showing!

Only saw Serenity once. With a group of friends.

Lightweight. I saw Revenge of the Sith five times in theaters, did the midnight showing, and bought the novel. I've already watched the DVD twice since it came out on Tuesday, and most of the DVD extras. :)

Saw Serenity once. Thought it was good. I'll probably buy the DVD.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Between pre-movie ads, 15 lame previews, commercials, rude patrons, and $4.50 (small) popcorn, I hate movie theatres with a passion. If they go to same-day DVD releases, I'll be quite happy.

Sad to see that the movie did so poorly (thus far), but I'm glad that the DVD is coming out so soon. Definitely on my must-buy list, and I've already got plans to push several of my friends to watch it (I've already sold 3 of the series DVD sets by introducing folks to the show).

Oh, and that cover art is terrible. Is that supposed to be Summer Glau?

mojo1701

First Post
Lazybones said:
Oh, and that cover art is terrible. Is that supposed to be Summer Glau?

THANK YOU! SOMEONE FINALLY MENTIONED IT! I had an argument with a friend of mine whether that was her (before the movie came out). I conceded the point, but I still maintain that her facial structure is completely different. Or maybe she's wearing make-up on the poster. Oh, and I saw her portrait on IMDb, and it looks like her on the poster, not in the movie/show.

John Crichton

First Post
The movie on DVD will probably do very well just like the show. I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the best sellers this holiday season or at least over the next few months following its release.

As for the cover art: It doesn't look great and I would have done with a simpler look, I've seen much worse. And for Summer's look - It's all in the makeup (can give a face more/less/difference definition) and the photoshopping.

Katcracker

First Post
This is perfect planning for them if they want to show a spike in sales. Lots of people will get the DVD or get it for someone else, and it will most likely help the holiday Firefly DVD's as well.

Hopefully, it is just good planning and not rush to make up for lost profit. Either way though I hope they continue this on the big screen or TV and not let this series die out.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Lightweight. I saw Revenge of the Sith five times in theaters, did the midnight showing, and bought the novel. I've already watched the DVD twice since it came out on Tuesday, and most of the DVD extras. :)

Saw Serenity once. Thought it was good. I'll probably buy the DVD.

Saw the midnight showing. Even brought a friend up from 2 hours away so he can experience the "phenomenon of the midnight showing with a bunch of SW fans". I've done the midnight showing for all 3 movies; this was his first experience with that... He sat there in front of the theater coloring in a pic of Darth Vader he'd drawn for someone at work (who hasn't paid for it yet... :mad: ).

Got the novel but due to seeing the movie that many times, couldn't read the novel yet... Haven't had time to watch the DVD although I did get it Tues evening.

At least, I'm not like my aunt who wants to kick George Lucas' ass for not putting it out on VHS so she can finish her set of the movies. She refuses to go to DVD. Thinks she's gotta replace all her movies if she does.... :\ :confused:

Kaledor

First Post
Does anybody know if there will be another release of Serenity later on?
A super Expanded-Platinum-Ultra... version that will make the one I buy in December obsolete.

I hate finding out that a few months later a new versoin is coming out on DVD!
But at the same time, I love adding the latest DVD's to my collection.
So, I constantly fighting between buying a new release or waiting to see if a "better" version is coming out later.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Darth K'Trava said:
At least, I'm not like my aunt who wants to kick George Lucas' ass for not putting it out on VHS so she can finish her set of the movies. She refuses to go to DVD. Thinks she's gotta replace all her movies if she does.... :\ :confused:
You could always buy her a $100 DVD/VCR combo machine. Christmas is around the corner.

;)

Pyrex

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
Yupe, there even some talk right now, about releasing DVDs on the same day as a Movie is released in theaters.

A lot of people don't like that idea, simply, why pay to see on the big screen, when you can see it at home, on the day of release. Movie theaters will suffer. It would help curb piracy, but someone else, legit wise will be hurt.

Even if movies become available day-and-date with their theater release it's not going to magically empty the theaters.

For me, movies break down (more or less) into four sets:

1) There are movies I don't see.

2) There are some movies where I wait for the DVD release & then rent them because I don't want to spend $20 on movie tickets for myself and my SO.

3) There are movies I want to experience in the theater because the theater is a way cooler experience than my living room.

4) There are movies I see immediately upon release because I just can't wait

Groups 1), 2) and 3) are unchanged by same-day DVD releases. Group 4) is largely unchanged because most of the movies in Group 4) are also in group 3).

Remove ads