• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serenity Sequel possibility

Klaus

First Post
Mistwell said:
It was a flop.

It did not pay for production and marketing fees in the theaters. Not even close. The reported numbers are total sales, and not total amount going back to the producers. Particularly internationally, it's only a relatively small fraction of the sales that makes it's way back to the producers.

Essentially, the movie cost $39 Million, and made $25 Million back in theaters. That's a huge flop.
It didn't even reach theaters here, it went straight to DVD.

Felon

First Post
Klaus said:
Obviously, Mal and River can pilot Serenity.
Neither one of them are real pilots, and River being able to man the cockpit is pure deus ex machina.

Then again, her killing dozens of reavers single-handedly with never-before-demonstrated hand-to-hand-combat skills was pretty over-the-top as well.

Hijinks

First Post
Is it so ludicrous to think that they can hire a new pilot, just like they hired Wash?

I would prefer a new Firefly series continuing the story, rather than a new film.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Felon said:
Neither one of them are real pilots, and River being able to man the cockpit is pure deus ex machina.

Then again, her killing dozens of reavers single-handedly with never-before-demonstrated hand-to-hand-combat skills was pretty over-the-top as well.

We had already seen some of those abilities in the show itself however. Whatever they did to her, it amped her WAY up in abilities.

Klaus

First Post
Plus she kicked the ass of an entire bar full of nasty types (among other extraordinary feats), so you can see some foreshadowing of that ability.

It's the EXTENT of the combat prowess that is the surprise, not that she has it.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Plus there was the ep where she shot those two guards behind her head and said: "Nothing in the 'verse can stop me..." or something like that. They were pretty much foreshadowing from the beginning that she had some weird abilities (although it seemed they were mostly telepathic at first).

Or, think back to what Simon said in the pilot episode: (paraphrasing)

"Art, dance, theoretical physics... There was nothing that didn't come to her as naturally as breathing to you and I."

Knowing that, why wouldn't she be able to fly Serenity?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
It really wasn't that great a stretch, not sure why folks are bent out of shape about it. I suspect it's a little bit more like Star Wars in that respect; piloting a ship is like flying a car, most people can do it. But that doesn't make them exceptional or even good at it.

hexgrid

Explorer
GoodKingJayIII said:
It's a great show, but we lost characters that were IMO crucial to the particular dynamic of the ensemble. A second movie or series or whatever would be missing something for me, and I'd rather they not churn another one out based on sales.

No, the cast was too large for the switch to the feature film format, because there isn't enough time in a movie to properly focus on so many characters. Serenity took steps to correct this.

Remove ads