• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Serious gamers and new CR formula

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I am not foaming at the mouth, but I do have a hard time with changing long rest periods.

One adventure they can sleep overnight and get their resources back, another, while traveling across the wilderness for 7 days they only get their resources back once. They still slept and ate seven times.

I have seen various examples (such as "the grueling pace and the fact they had been hunted for days" makes rest less efficient) and they could work once and a while.

But I don't want "Schrodinger's Rest Periods", if you got eight hours sleep, you get the benefits.

CapnZapp

Legend
But Capn, the DMG does address variant rules on what qualifies for a Short/Long Rest, both speeding up (for "1 hour rests in a dungeon is impossible") and slowing down (for "6 encounters in a day outside a dungeon is impossible.")
The problem is that any one fixed duration will not work for all adventures.

So no single option given is the answer.

The point is that the truly working option is not given by the DMG, the one where the dungeon adventure operates one way, the wilderness trek another way.

For the same party, mind you.

CapnZapp

Legend
I am not foaming at the mouth, but I do have a hard time with changing long rest periods.

One adventure they can sleep overnight and get their resources back, another, while traveling across the wilderness for 7 days they only get their resources back once. They still slept and ate seven times.

I have seen various examples (such as "the grueling pace and the fact they had been hunted for days" makes rest less efficient) and they could work once and a while.

But I don't want "Schrodinger's Rest Periods", if you got eight hours sleep, you get the benefits.
You made a good start, saying youre not foaming.

...but when you call this solution names, you give yourself away ;-)

pemerton

Legend
Isn't it a defining trait of 5th edition that the rulebooks are completely clean of anything that would make the old guard foam at the mouth... ;)

Remember: Until this stuff is in the actual game, in the dead tree PHBs and DMGs, it's just hot air on a forum.
That was true for 4e, too, which had no real discussion of adventure pacing except some stuff in DMG2 which was more about speeding up rests/recovery (eg via partial recoveries within the context of a single encounter) than slowing it down.

For what it's worth, I put this down to WotC's almost total reluctance to discuss the GMing side of the game from a real-world, "this is a game that has to be managed" perspective rather than a perspective that is either in-fiction or how-to-write-the-fiction. It doesn't seem 5e-specific to me.

That's not a defence of WotC, just the beginning of a diagnosis of a trend.

Okay so in summary the best explanation I've seen so far is "the DMG text is a mistake".

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Fat chance we'll see that errataed, though...

They're doing the MM errata first. It wouldn't shock me if they errata'ed the DMG as well. They did fix the most egregious errors in the PHB, after all, including the darkness thing.

CapnZapp

Legend
Oh, I believe they will do a pass of DMG errata, I just don't believe this will ever be part of it. Pemerton has the right of it, I think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads