• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sexy Spell Points System

Cabral

First Post
Woot. Alliteration! And the Topic of Spiciness +2 might get a decent number of views and responses. (/crosses fingers)

So on to the main course!

This is basicly a House Rule Notebook for my spell system, but I would like some feedback on what people think about the different options. I'll post the spell lists by level pairs:
Level 0 and 1
Level 2 and 3 (Fixed Link)
Level 4 and 5 (Added Link)
Level 6 and 7
Level 8 and 9

I will update these in order of importance in my campaign (ie, how soon they will come up :D)

And I'll post each revised spell "using" class as a seperate reply onto this topic.

Revised Magic (AKA True Psionics/Magic Transparency):
Psionics is now a subset of Magic. Arcane, Divine, and Psionics three sources of power. Any function that references Psionics instead references Magic and vice versa. Exceptions to Psionics-Magic Transparency such as Antipsionic Magic are removed from the game until specificly addressed.

Spellpoints:
All classes use spell points. Spell points are a measure of your magical stamina. Using your spell points is tiring and can lead to exhaustion. When your remaining spell points fall below a threshold, you become fatigues or exhausted. For purposes of determining how tired you are, you have a Spell Point Buffer equal to your Base Fortitude Save + your Con modifier. This buffer can never be negative. These spell points cannot be used for casting or any other purpose. See table A0-1 Spell Point Thresholds. If you have multiple spell point pools, use the sum of the pools to determine the thresholds.
Code:
[B]Table A0-1 Spell Point Thresholds
If Remaining Spell Points Are Below      You Become...[/B]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]2/3rds Maximum[/COLOR]                           Fatigued
[COLOR=DarkOrange]1/3rd Maximum[/COLOR]                            Exhausted
If you become fatigued from another source, such as Touch of Fatigue, you lose enough spell points to be one less than 2/3rds your maximum spell points. If you become exhausted, you lose enough spell points to be one less than 1/3rd of your maximum spell points. If you have multiple spell point pools, the lost points are distributed as evenly as possible. You regain the lost spell points when the condition is removed.

Recovering Spell Points:
You can recover your full spell points by sleeping, meditating, or praying once per day.
In addition, you can rest to recover a number of spell points per hour equal to your constitution score. If you have multiple spell point pools, these points are distributed as evenly as possible.

Spell Points and Multi-classing:
Spell Point pools from multiple classes add together if the spell points are from the same "Source of Power" (Arcane, Divine, or Psionics).
Only the stat that grants the highest number of spell points applies to a given spell point pool.

Creatures Immune to Fatigue
Creatures immune to fatigue suffer no penalties for the use of their spell points but also do not regain spell points for resting.

Caster Level
Caster level from all sources stack up to a maximum of your hit dice.

The following classes have one effective caster level per 4 (full) levels: Monk, Rogue, and Soulknife.

Every class will have a limited spells known list. In addition, the non-"pure" casting classes will have an independant spell casting progression with the core class granting limited progression in classes spellcasting. (ie, Ranger grants +1/2 advancement per level starting at 4th. However, Prestige Classes, will be able to use the seperate progression for a more rapid progression. (I may add higher level spells to their lists for this purpose)

Did I miss anything? :D

Edit: Most recent changes are in Orange. Revision v 1.0

Last edited:

Cabral

First Post
Cleric

Domains: Where a granted power is +1 Caster level, change to spells of that type are -2 spell points cheaper (minimum of 1). The Healing domain grants the +1 caster level in addtion, this increases the maximum number of spell points that can be spent on a healing spell.

IOU one rest of Cleric.

Last edited:

Cabral

First Post
Paladin

Code:
             Bonus
Level    Caster Level    Spellcasting Progression
  1            0.5       -
  2            1.0       -
  3            1.5       -
  4            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
  5            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
  6            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
  7            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
  8            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
  9            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 10            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 11            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 12            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 13            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 14            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 15            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 16            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 17            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 18            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 19            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression
 20            1.5       +0.5 Paladin Spellcasting Progression

Bonus Caster level adds to any caster level from actual Spellcasting progession. (Caster Level can never exceed the character's hit dice)

Code:
Spellcasting    Spell         Maximum
    Level       Points      Spell Level
     0.5          0              1
     1.0          0              1
     1.5          1              1
     2.0          1              1
     2.5          1              2
     3.0          1              2
     3.5          4              2
     4.0          4              3
     4.5          9              3
     5.0          9              3
     5.5         10              4
     6.0         17              4
     6.5         20              4
     7.0         25              4
     7.5         26              4
     8.0         41              4
     8.5         48              4

I'll fill out the other levels when I can. This is so that Prestige classes that advance spellcasting are equally powerful regardless of which spellcasting class the prestige class advances.

Last edited:

Remove ads