• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sexy Spell Points System

One nit-pick:
2/3 rds Maximum - 2 * Base Fort Save
should probably read "2/3 rds Maximum - (2 * Base Fort Save)"

Two questions:
If you become fatigued or exhausted from another source, such as Touch of Fatigue, you lose enough spell points to be under the threshold for that state (See Table A0-1 Spell Point Thresholds). If you have multiple spell point pools, the lost points are distributed as evenly as possible. You regain the lost spell points when the condition is removed.

Why? This makes Touch of Fatigue and similar spells the weapon of choice against casters. It also makes a Barbarian Caster who never Rages... It would be cleaner to leave this out, since becoming fatigued a second time makes you exhausted.. etc,,.

Creatures immune to fatigue suffer no penalties for the use of their spell points but also do not regain spell points for resting.

Why? Spell casting is a matter of the will of the character over the material world. Creatures immune to Fatigue are that way primarily due to CON related issues. This fatigue could be a special version that saps CHR and thus affects all casters equally. Altho this rule does support that intelligent undead tend to be powerful casters, I am not sure it is balanced in a game world where PC's can attain protection from fatigue. Instead a statement that below threshold point pools inflict the condition of Fatigued regardless of immunity or temporary protection. Nor can it be removed via magic.

Well, okay.. three questions :)

Have you looked at Elements of Magic: Revised ? I ask because it looks like you have taken on a very daunting task that has already been done {in a very good and balanced way IMHO}

I do like the Fatigue option.. I may snag it for my EoM game..and the alliteration :lol:

Cabral

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
One nit-pick:
should probably read "2/3 rds Maximum - (2 * Base Fort Save)"
Whoops. That'll be in the eratta :D
Two questions:

Why? This makes Touch of Fatigue and similar spells the weapon of choice against casters. It also makes a Barbarian Caster who never Rages... It would be cleaner to leave this out, since becoming fatigued a second time makes you exhausted.. etc,,.
Right, however, I am looking into changing the spell levels for those spells. And a Barbarian spell caster is only fatigued for the encounter and then the spell points return.

Or are you referring to his threshold? ... hmm... i have to look into that.
Why? Spell casting is a matter of the will of the character over the material world. Creatures immune to Fatigue are that way primarily due to CON related issues. This fatigue could be a special version that saps CHR and thus affects all casters equally. Altho this rule does support that intelligent undead tend to be powerful casters, I am not sure it is balanced in a game world where PC's can attain protection from fatigue. Instead a statement that below threshold point pools inflict the condition of Fatigued regardless of immunity or temporary protection. Nor can it be removed via magic.
I want spell casting to be a tiring process of channelling energies through your body. Plus Con isn't a spell casting stat for any class :D
Well, okay.. three questions :)

Have you looked at Elements of Magic: Revised ? I ask because it looks like you have taken on a very daunting task that has already been done {in a very good and balanced way IMHO}

I do like the Fatigue option.. I may snag it for my EoM game..and the alliteration :lol:
No, I haven't seen it. I'm basing it off the Unearthed Arcana (WotC) spell point variants

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I don't know what "2/3 rds Maximum - 2 * Base Fort Save " means.

I assume it doesn't mean a maximum of 2/3 of a round, less twice the caster's base fort save. Unless the fort save is 0, that would be a negative length of time.

EoM does is a basic mechanic for building the spells from parts, check it out.Enworld Gamestore

There are a number of CORE rules rewritten to fit the system, altho some are a bit of a clunky fit.
EOM trades versatility for power, so the massive damage spells are much higher level.. but you can do soo much more with even a low level spell. One of the best things about the system is that the caster mechanics are pure crunch. You can add 'traditions' with the associated fluff to create wildly variant classes .. Lyceian Arcana showcases some of these concepts.

Anyway, enough pimping Ranger Wickets work :)
I look forward to reading more of your ideas... it looks like a good start.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads