• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SF&F system?

Axegrrl

First Post
We're looking for a "far future, with magic" game. "Magic" in this case can mean spells, powers, psi, or whatever.

We are considering Farscape d20, Star Wars d20, and a non-d20 system.

What other systems are out there, d20-wise?
What system -- or combination of systems -- would you use?

d4

First Post
Axegrrl said:
We're looking for a "far future, with magic" game. "Magic" in this case can mean spells, powers, psi, or whatever.
have you looked at Dragonstar? i don't own it but it sounds like what you want. it is d20, though based on D&D and not d20 Modern.

The Halfling

Explorer
Axegrrl said:

We are considering Farscape d20, Star Wars d20, and a non-d20 system.

What other systems are out there, d20-wise?
What system -- or combination of systems -- would you use?

Well, the most obvious one would be Dragonstar. Far future using the standard PHB classes and D&D ruleset. Published by Fantasy Flight Games it should fill your needs.

There is also Fading Suns, by Holistic Design , which comes in both d20 and Victory Point systems.

Those are two that I know of, anyway. Hope that helps.

IllusionaryLunch

First Post
You might be able to do it with Spycraft or SG-1 - you've got all sorts of funky psion rules, awseome classes and fairly soon they are going to release spaceship rules for SG-1 (ask at the forum there for more information).

In fact, the more that I think about it a mix of the two systems (which are designed to mesh cleanly together) is probably the way to go - using mystic and psion rules from (the now defunct) Shadowforce Archer (or wait for Dark Inheritance), alien and spaceship rules from SG-1. Could be really good game.

JEL

First Post
While not actually presenting a setting, I recommend the Arsenal and Factory books from Perpetrated Press.

TheMighty

First Post
Take a look at Hero System. They have Sidekick out now which is only 10 bucks. Sidekick is the complete 5th edition minus optional rules.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Even better, BESM d20 Stingy Gamer Edition for $10 (3.5e compatible). While it is dubbed an anime roleplaying game, even that genre spans from fantasy to science-fiction.

:cool:

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
Wait for d20 Future is also an option

D20 Future (August 2004) will have psionics and magic in a futuristic setting based on d20 Modern rules. Note that you must wait it released, and that you also need to buy d20 Modern to use d20 Future. Last note, IMO d20 Modern classes are overpowered.

Dragonstar is DnD in far future with wizards, sorcerers, drows, dragons, etc. in a high tech world with starships. I have the two books (Starfarer's Handbook and Galaxy Guide): well, I don't want to play it. For me sorcerers, elves, dragons, remind me too much of Tolkien and medieval heroic fantasy. When you throw in laser guns and starships, it becomes confusing, a bastard sort of things. Noneheless, on Fantasy Flight Games website is some pdf previews to see by yourself.

I don't know about Farscape d20, and don't know if it is still available in stores.

Star-Wars d20 is to play Star-Wars, nothing more, nothing less. It's a bad idea to buy it if you plan to use it as rules for an entirely different setting.

Finally, there is... MY OWN SYSTEM !!! hehehehe.... But mmmh... sorry, but it will be available in a long time from now. However, since I have the same intent as you, I have been compiling and doing a d20 rpg based on d20 Modern + Traveller 20, plus tids and bits of d20 Star-Wars, Dragonstar, Bllod & Space, and d20 CoC. Well, if you can wait for a full year, it will be available for free: 30 classes (15 bases, 15 prestige), 200 feats (from many OGC sources), magic as in CoC, but also with prestige class of mage who doesn't lose sanity when casting spells (works as a DnD wizard or arcane advanced-class of d20 modern), plus many things. But well, you will have to wait unfortunately (despite classes, skills, and feats available in june or july).

Well, what can I say more? Only that Blood & Space is mediocre, but for its price you just add it to basic DnD rules, and create your homebrew campaign with it.

Turanil

buzz

Adventurer
Turanil said:
Star-Wars d20 is to play Star-Wars, nothing more, nothing less. It's a bad idea to buy it if you plan to use it as rules for an entirely different setting.
I don't agree. The revised SWd20 is a good d20-based "space opera" game, and I think it has all of the requisite bits for what Axegrrl is looking for. I mean, what is SW but pulp and fantasy action with laser-swords and blasters? The original is basically remake of Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress," and that's all in feudal Japan. :)

The archetypes are all there; file off the serial numbers, and you have a general space fantasy RPG.

I also second the nomination of HERO, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with some rules crunchiness.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Not just the serial numbers but EVERYTHING relating to and associating with Star Wars must be removed.

Assuming you're publishing and distributing your material, the closest to the Force system is the skill-n-feat Psychic System found in The Psychic's Handbook. It's also Open Game Content (used with the OGL).

To be honest with you, I'd rather you put that book away, locked up in a chest or a safe, so you won't be influenced nor referenced from that book which is copyrighted material, in designing your game.

But if this is for your own personal gaming use, do what you want with it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads