• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sf-rpg?

The_Gut

First Post
True20 has the Lux Aeternum setting. Its a swashbuckling space opera type deal - think the three muskateers in space. Not bad.

There is the Serenity game, built around Firefly. I've heard bad things about the ruleset though (but anything firefly can't be all bad).

D20 traveller is something I'm going to have to purchase.

If you want really light, you could take a look at the PDQ rules (ruleset from Atomic Sock Monkey). I'm looking at Zorcerer of Zo, and Truth & Justice, and this ruleset looks really intriquing for a GM who hates prep. They don't have a science fiction setting though - but if you look at Zorcerer, and see how little prep he did for that, and how well it worked... well, you could wing it pretty easy, I think.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Steven Wilson said:
GURPS is agood system but if you are not familiar with it I would warn you it smayor problem is that you cannot just tip your toe in as to play anything you need a number of books. WHat is good is htat once you have the books you can easily play another genre with it but the initial purchase can be heavily.

This is mitigated by the fact that many of their books provide great genre advice regardless of whether you play GURPS or not. For example, GURPS Space is useful for pretty much any SF campaign, and most of the (few) rules in it can be used without GURPS.

smootrk

First Post
Why no mention of Star Frontiers. Best thing about it is that it is FREE on PDF now...

head over to www.starfrontiersman.com to check it out along with the webzine that is being produced to support this classic. Lots of folks are getting back to basics with this.

edemaitre

Explorer
SFRPGs

Here, in no particular order, are some science fiction/space opera role-playing game recommendations:

-Licensed D20 properties: Babylon 5, Core Command/Jovian Chronicles, DragonStar (D&D in space), Farscape, Future (Modern expansion), Prime Directive (Star Trek), Serenity (Firefly), Stargate, Star Wars: Saga Edition, Traveller (T20), WARS

-Generic D20 SF tool kits: Big Eyes, Small Mouth (anime), Blood & Space, Bulldogs, DawningStar (has a setting, but easy to port), and True20 (esp. True20 Companion)

-Non-D20 SF games: GURPS 4e Space, Shadowrun (cyberpunk/fantasy), SpaceMaster, Star Frontiers (out of print, but as others have noted, this classic can be found as a free download)

If you're looking for a universe and rules set that many gamers are familiar with, I'd recommend one of the licensed D20 adaptations. If you prefer "hard SF," the non-D20 Traveller, GURPS, Cyberpunk, or SpaceMaster might be more your style, but for a fast start and homebrew campaign settings, the generic kits are the way to go.

Of the books listed above, my favorites are SW: Saga, T20, True20, and GURPS 4e Space. All are available through online retailers. Happy gaming!

ScardPtori

First Post
Two systems that I own the books for, but unfortunately have never had the chance to play, are Serenity Roleplaying Game and Savage Worlds . They are both non-D20 systems. Savage Worlds is a generic gaming system that has rules for all types of campaigns, including fantasy and science fiction. This system is very much geared for role playing and the rules seem a little "light" in my opinion, so the DM has a lot of freedom in how he runs things. The Serenity game is based on they Firefly television show and Serenity movie and is directly geared for that type of campaign. One of the things that you might like about that is that they have some unique rules regarding space ships. (At least from what I remember, I haven't read through the book in a couple of months.)

Good luck getting your game going!

masshysteria

Explorer
For anything sci-fi or modern my hand instinctively reaching for my Alternity books. Picking up a few of the Star*Drive supplements can really flesh out a any sci-fi setting. Of course, Alternity is out of print, but it is pretty easy to find on eBay or Noble Knight Games website.

Star War Saga Edition is a good rule set, but you'll have to do some monkeying around with Jedi and the Force to make it not feel like Star Wars.

I dropped D20 Modern and D20 Future in favor of sticking with Alternity. It is a familiar system to d20 players, but I found my sci-fi heroes to be too invincible and I like things be be borderline real, think cinematic realism.

What 'works best' depends on what flavor of Sci-Fi you like.

For me, CP2020 and Fasa's Aliens RPG are the top dogs, followed by WEG Star Wars and LUG Star Trek.

I have contemplated grabbing Serenity cause, well.. its Serenity :)

Remove ads