• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Darts Crit?

renau1g

First Post
The assassin power Shadow Darts requires 3 attack rolls against the same target, now if 1 of them crits is the damage maxed for all the d8's? If two crits happen is the extra magic item damage happen multiple times?

i.e. say damage is 1d8+5 if one hits, 2d8+5 if 2 hit, 3d8+5 if all three hit. On a crit on one of the dice, does it become 13+xd8 (if the others hit) +crit dice.

If 2 crit is it 21+d8(maybe if the 3rd hit)+2dx(bonus crit dice?)

Mengu

First Post
If 1 attack is a crit, I resolve the whole attack as a single crit. The number of dice for damage is of course still determined by the number of hits.

In your example:
1 crit, 1 hit, 1 miss = 21 (max of 2d8+5) + crit dice.
2 crits, 1 miss = 21 (max of 2d8+5) + crit dice.
1 crit, 2 hits = 29 (max of 3d8+5) + crit dice.

Not sure I can support this as RAW, but it's the best I can glean from the attack line.

Turtlejay

First Post
I'd not make the whole thing crit, just the one that actually did. The reason this power is nice is it's ability to increase the chance of crit while invoking your shroud. If you crit with one hit, I'd allow the shroud damage to be maxed, and the crit die rolled, but you still have to roll for the other attacks.

That's my take anyways.

Jay

abyssaldeath

First Post
I'd not make the whole thing crit, just the one that actually did. The reason this power is nice is it's ability to increase the chance of crit while invoking your shroud. If you crit with one hit, I'd allow the shroud damage to be maxed, and the crit die rolled, but you still have to roll for the other attacks.

That's my take anyways.

Jay

I'd almost agree with you if the attack line didn't tell you to resolve the attacks as a single hit. Since it is resolved as a single hit any crits you roll would count for all the hits for this power. IMHO. The down side is that you won't be able to trigger multiple crits like you can with other multi attack powers.

Turtlejay

First Post
Yeah. . .I'm not 100% on my take with it either. It is like a multiattack power, but one that virtually guarantees your Shroud damage is triggered. I think the only ground to stand on with my interpretation is how other multiattacks work, but since this one is obviously kind of different. . .who knows?

Jay

Edit- Yes, I know you can do Shroud damage on a miss, but it is virtually halved when you do so. Since you are pretty spiky as an Assassin already, this power helps mitigate that somewhat.

Last edited:

Gunpowder

First Post
If 1 attack is a crit, I resolve the whole attack as a single crit. The number of dice for damage is of course still determined by the number of hits.

In your example:
1 crit, 1 hit, 1 miss = 21 (max of 2d8+5) + crit dice.
2 crits, 1 miss = 21 (max of 2d8+5) + crit dice.
1 crit, 2 hits = 29 (max of 3d8+5) + crit dice.

Not sure I can support this as RAW, but it's the best I can glean from the attack line.

This is how i read it as well.

Turtlejay

First Post
. . .and you are minus one shroud, and down any damage done from the attack. Using a shortsword on an encounter power, you just went from 6d6+bonuses to 3d6. Looks like half to me.

Jay

Remove ads