• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow of the Demon Lord: Alternate Ability generation methods?

Greg K

Legend
I saw the Bundle of Holding sale for SotDL. The setting looks interesting, but I was not impressed with the ability generation method that I had seen in the character generation example. So, I was wondering if there are alternate ability generation methods in either of the Demon Lord Companions or Forbidden Rules that provide starting characters with a greater range of ability scores?

Last edited:

werecorpse

Adventurer
I’m not sure what you mean.
The stats are still Str,Agi,Int and Will not Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, & Cha.
Because each single point a stat is above or below 10 results in a +1 or -1 (Ie 11 gives +1 like a 12 in 5e D&D and 12 gives +2 like a 14 in 5e D&D) instead of a starting character having a range of 8-16 (Ie -1 to +3) they tend to have a range of 9-13 (Ie -1 to +3).
There are a number of methods to roll stats if you don’t like choosing your stats - including a method that allows a player to roll 3d6 to generate what a characters starting stats are and then to add on racial adjustments.

Greg K

Legend
The stats are still Str,Agi,Int and Will not Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, & Cha.
Because each single point a stat is above or below 10 results in a +1 or -1 (Ie 11 gives +1 like a 12 in 5e D&D and 12 gives +2 like a 14 in 5e D&D) instead of a starting character having a range of 8-16 (Ie -1 to +3) they tend to have a range of 9-13 (Ie -1 to +3).
There are a number of methods to roll stats if you don’t like choosing your stats - including a method that allows a player to roll 3d6 to generate what a characters starting stats are and then to add on racial adjustments.

I forgot about the Stat- 10 for bonus.

Remove ads